We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017

Options

Comments

• unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I've grown dried peas before (Leo's in fact) - I'm going to pop some more out in the coming days as my Maro peas failed to germinate - all of them (and no suspicious holes either). Any tasty cherry tomato variety recommendations ?

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've grown dried peas before (Leo's in fact) - I'm going to pop some more out in the coming days as my Maro peas failed to germinate - all of them (and no suspicious holes either). Any tasty cherry tomato variety recommendations ?

Sungold F1 hybrid is a small, sweet, delicious orange cherry tomato. I highly recommend it.

I'm also growing black cherry, and black russian (for colour and prolific yield respectively) - and costaluto genovese for culinary use (Italian plum/beefsteak cross)
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • unrecordings
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendation. I can't get to a nursery until Monday, and I'm still flip flopping between tomato/pepper/courgette, so we'll see what happens over the weekend - nice and sunny here this morning

• Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Right! Need to finally plant up my tomatoes, chillies and aubergines
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Dizzy_Ditzy Posts: 17,462 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I had the first raspberries yesterday :j :j
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Options
    I've been picking strawberries every other day for the last couple of weeks :D yesterday I came home with enough for the first pot of jam :j

I've been coming home with red currants too and they've been going in the freezer ready for red currant jelly when there is enough :rotfl:

Wind wise this week I don't think we've done as badly as others - a mini tornado seems to have whipped through Plot B right through my gooseberries and potatoes. All my onions are bent over so we are going to sort those out over the weekend. We need to pull the garlic up at both plots because of rust.

A couple of beetroot are ready to pull too :j

We had the first Rocket potatoes a couple of weeks ago from one of the pots in the garden. The taste was absolutely out of this world so we will definitely be doing lots of those next year!

This time of year keeps me very busy but i absolutely love it!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• unrecordings
    Options
    Too early for raspberries here - probably still 3-4 weeks away. Outdoors courgettes surviving so far, I pulled apart an old coconut basket liner (nesting birds had already made a start on that) and used it as matting for under the courgettes, seems ideal against slugs too but it's way too expensive to use. And as for the spare growbag dilemma, one single Christmas Grape cherry tomato popped a couple of leaves up overnight - it's got a LOT of catching up to do

• Dizzy_Ditzy
    Options
    Pulled up 30 odd garlic today cos they all had rust :o need to go pull the other lot tomorrow. First lot of strawberry jam done :j

• zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have been quite busy over the last few days.

Strawberries have finished in the tunnel so I have started to move them outside before I decide whether or not to bin them and buy in some fresh runners as they weren't so good this year.

Sowed a second batch of sweetcorn, the first lot is growing well.
    Sowed more peas and still more to do. The mangetout have just started to crop. All the climbing beans are now outside and we had our first taste of the dwarf ones today.

I've a load of overwntered onions ready so I will take those up over the next couple of days. The don't keep well but there is enough to last until the ordinary ones are ready in September.
    Potted on some celery. Peppers and aubergines are in their final beds but I still have the tomatoes to deal with.

Courgettes are outside but I've had to start the squash again as something has taken a liking to it. Kohl rabi is about the size of a cherry tomato so they should be ready in about another month. Pak Choi started to bolt and flower so the chickens have have had a treat today.

All in all I'm quite happy with how things are but time marches on and I suppose next month I'll start to think about starting off the winter stuff. :(

Have a good day tomorrow, we have friends coming in the afternoon so I suppose little will get done.
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hello all. Lovely to hear what you're all growing.

I am excited today as I have a new fruit cage to put up, am roping DH in with that.

Need to pull up some salad leaf which is bolting and plant some more spinach etc. Finally have some flowers on the tomatoes but they're leaning over at the moment because of the high winds. When it's calm again, I'll redo their frame.
    Spend less now, work less later.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport