We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017

Options
1777879808183»

Comments

• CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had a lengthy discussion with my 15 year old niece over how potatoes are grown. It seemed to warp her mind that one potato can grow more potatoes LOL

I shouldn't laugh really because its a sad state of affairs. She did remark - which i thought was very insightful - "They should teach us this stuff at school, at least THIS is useful"
    Preaching to the choir!
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • Fruittea
    Options
    Good morning
    I haven't posted for a while but popped in to see how you are all getting along. Still plenty of veg in the freezer for me but I have had to buy in a big bag of potatoes.
    I have two propagators CAFCGirl one is the window sill type the other is a square one. I would say get one that has variable temperatures as they are useful when growing peppers, chillis and aubergines. I got mine from Two Wests: https://www.twowests.co.uk/
    The other thing to think about is where is it going to go. Mine are in use from January until March so you need to think about space.
    I'll have a look around and come back if I see anything interesting.
    I have a bit o.f salad here - not much though. But plenty of greens like kale and flower sprouts.
    All the best
  • unrecordings
    Options
    Jazee wrote: »
    Sorry CAFCGirl, I don't have any recommendations as I've never used one.

Guests very impressed on Christmas Day when I went out in the garden for fresh veg and salad. You have to wonder where some people think food originates from.

I was going to do that too but the weather predicted heavy rain so I picked on xmas eve. We had Red Duke of York potatoes still good from late summer, beetroot, tuscany kale, roasted shallots (from the pantry), peas frozen from the summer (and fresh and dried herbs)

and

I've STILL got tomatoes left, although they're semi dormant in the fridge. I should probably bring them out to mature for a last hurrah (read: large chilli)

Here's hoping 2018 is a good year in the garden for you all

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • tibawo
    tibawo Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    we walked up to the allotment yesterday. still there, still waiting for me to crack on with it.

if i am shifting excess soil is this still plausible at this time of year? Thinking of around noon so ice might have melted?
    Go get it!
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Dizzy_Ditzy Posts: 17,462 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Now that 2018 is upon us, I thought it a good idea to have a new thread so I'll close this one and have started a new one :)

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5767203
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport