We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017

Options

Comments

• maisymoo5
    maisymoo5 Posts: 137 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    thank you fruittea I've just had a look at my seeds to see if I can identify it but I must have sown the pack as I can't see them anywhere. I have brought the one that is doing really well into the greenhouse again now and the others sown later will be staying in there too. :D
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Sunflowers went in. After I thinned out the wildflowers [strike]weeds[/strike[] so that he could get to the one space left for them. I have never once stood on the raised beds since I built them. His first move was to walk straight in.

Chard still looking unhappy. Just wish it would get on with growing and not being so small and vulnerable.

We have our first nasturtium flowers, more raspberries and so many herbs, I'm going to have to dry some at this rate - also going to try drying some rose petals and lavender for our confetti this autumn.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Planted out six courgettes today, last year twelve of the blighters disappeared within a couple of weeks (due to slugs)

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    £45 spent yesterday at the garden centre....

Mostly reduced items. Let my son pick something to grow, and he went for some rainbow carrots.
    Also got some mints, rosemary and sage to start my herb area at the allotment. I think I will put them all in pots onto top some mulch along the pathway next to the raised bed.

Was impressed to pick up 2 large lavenders in pots for £1 each, looking very healthy and the rosemary too. Plus two framberry plants for £2 each which are sending off a lot of runners. Also picked up a tayberry for £6 (large specimen) and a kiwi plant too. Will have to read up on what to do with that. Tomato grow bags for the grow tunnel bought too so will hopefully get those up the plot sometime this week.

Yesterday was garden orientated as I cant go out in bright hot sunshine. So some curcubits potted on (I havent a clue what they are), plus potted on some tomatoes, and some flowers (also havent a clue what they are). Really must start labelling things!!

Saturday saw us up the plot for some weeding, Reduced dwarf apple tree got planted in, as well as sprouts/cabbage.... Everything else seems to be doing ok-ish. Think it needs a thoroughly good soaking mind you. Praying for rains
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Jojo_the_Tightfisted Posts: 27,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 5 June 2017 at 10:26PM
    Options
    My lavenders and rosemary refuse to grow anywhere but in almost pure builders' sand - they were stuffed in the gap between the block paving and had about an inch of compost mixed with pebbles chucked on top.

I've never seen any as happy as mine outside a lavender farm - even a couple of cuttings stuffed randomly into the sand in Autumn turned into bushes by the following summer.

Wondering whether I should risk potting the courgette on yet - it's a good fit for the 5 inch pot, but I'm wondering whether it will cope planted out now (in terms of molluscs).

Definitely leaving the toms until the weekend, as they are fine where they are.

The sunflowers made it through the night - perhaps the plastic bottle collars were a good idea of mine after all.

ETA: Changed my mind once I went out there this evening - the courgette's roots were beginning to stick out of the bottom of the pot, so that's gone into the big tub, and I had time before the rain got too heavy to move one of the tomatoes which was in a similar condition - I think it would count as being at the perfect stage to transplant. Slung some compost tea/fertiliser on top, along with the contents of a seed tray that had got too wet and failed to germinate - I've now found out that the rather wonderful compost made from sheeps' wool and bracken not only holds more water than other organic composts, it also smells somewhat reminiscent of wet ewe. :)

Will use some old compost for the other tomato - and have bodged up a contraption of part barbeque grille and tub to dissuade the Idiot Cat from destroying the few chard seedlings he hasn't killed already, as it's the only almost bare bit of the beds left, so obviously gets his attention :mad:.

Beans up another 4 inches overnight. This could be interesting, as they're very near the drainpipe.

I'll check it all again before work tomorrow. I'm none too impressed at having to go back - but Bloke hasn't had any interviews so far, so we couldn't afford for me to stay off any longer. I've promised (threatened?) him that as soon as he gets a job that covers the bills, I'm packing mine in and spending half the week doing stuff like working in the garden properly/housework and the other half doing another job that I don't actually hate as much as this one.

Skillfully evaded the greasy pole climber who has decided that running a school gardening club would be good for her career, despite having zero knowledge of gardening. I heard first thing that she was looking for me because she wanted somebody to install a green wall (for no payment, in their own time) and I'd inadvertently come to her attention because I'd been gobby enough to point out (more tactfully than here) that planting petunias and busy lizzies wasn't the best option for encouraging pollinators, especially when her plan involved grubbing out all the mature lavender bushes to make space for them.

There is no way on earth I'm fannying around with a green wall in an area where teenagers will quite happily try to pull it off the wall and destroy it for the LOLs. Or one which would be either entirely in shade all day/permanently in full sun with no watering. No way. I'd happily recommend pollinator plants, and I think it would be a brilliant idea to allow rambling roses to block off the gaps in the fences where the darlings escape from the premises when bored, but something that requires that amount of planning, construction and maintenance? No, no, no.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • smeeinnit
    smeeinnit Posts: 263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Weather still ridiculously windy, only gardening done yesterday was picking up things that had blown over and trying to make everything as safe as I can. A little wind damage to some of the potatoes but nothing that should kill the plants anyway.

12 degrees here today <shiver>

Hope the weather is not being too unkind wherever you are!
    Let's get ready to bumble! :rotfl:
  • Fruittea
    Fruittea Posts: 956 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning Everyone
    I hope the weather wasn't too unkind to you all. It was very gusty here by the river Severn. Every time I went out I got drenched. It's a house sitting time for me at the mo - so I was in and out quite a bit with the dogs. I have a little bit of paid gardening this morning so I hope the weather holds.

I managed to salvage some of the garlic and will have about 15 bulbs to dry and some I'll use green and I've pickled the rest in cider vinegar. Just as well I caught them as quick as I did.

I also have my first lot of gherkins to pickle - so that's on the go.
    Picked my first whole cucumber yesterday - it's a smooth on grown in the greenhouse. Femspot - it's got quite a nice flavour and I would recommend.
    I'm also going to sow more lettuce as it's cooler as I want to keep plenty going - so I can pot them on for the gardens I look after. I think they look very pretty with all the different colours and if I get too many the chickens enjoys them.

I like the idea of the plastic bottle covers for the sunflowers - might try that next year.
    Happy gardening.
  • LoveKnittingSocks
    Options
    Goodmorning:)

Not much gardening been going on here these last few days - its been downpour after downpour but today the sun is shining again :D

I thought my sprouts were done for after all the wind and rain but they seem to be perking up again today thank goodness.

We have flowers on the peas and everything else seems to be getting on fine.

Today is a milestone for me - I have home grown lettuce in my salad box for lunch!!!! This is the first time I've ever eaten anything I've grown :D: I'm so excited I can't wait till lunchtime.

I'm not sure if I should harvest one of my potato bags. After all the rain, the weight of the plant has made it all lopsided. I may have a root around tonight to see if we have any spuds.

I hope everyone else is having a good day :)
  • MissPop
    MissPop Posts: 948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well done LKS! Enjoy your lunch :D :T

Make £2020 in 2020 - £263.78/£2020

2020 totals
    Swagbucks - £100 | Prolific Academic - £44.54 | Qmee - £10 | PopulusLive - £50

• maisymoo5
    maisymoo5 Posts: 137 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Its been blowing a hooley here in Devon for the last few days. My newly planted delphinium is just hanging on and luckily I had just staked it. My poor prehistoric looking globe artichoke got most of its leaves snapped off and looks very sorry for itself. The ones in the front garden seemed to have fared better. My lawn is covered in leaves and a branch came down in front of my OH on the way to work this morning. I'm missing the sun dreadfully and need to leave my greenhouse in his hands for a week while I'm away. He has even less clue than me :)

Well done LoveKnittingSocks - there is nothing better than growing your own. Enjoy your salad.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure