Bricks Not Books

Options

Comments

• f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Congratulations  on Baby Historian VH!   That is so lovely. 
    Well done you ( Mr VH too, I suppose he did help a bit so deserves some credit :D)
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • LadyWithAPlan
    Options
    Congrats indeed! 6 months now wow.
    Good to see you still managing to OP on mat leave
    There will always be a (beautiful stilettoed) foot in fabulous in LaPlan's life.
    I am choosing to be fabulously frugal to support some wonderful life changing and affirming financial goals including buying a London home I love.

DON'T BUY STUFF (from Frugalwoods)
    No seriously, just don’t buy things. 99% of our success with our savings rate is attributed to the fact that we don’t buy things. You can’t really hack your way to frugal. You can and should take advantage of discounts, coupons, rewards points, and the like. But at the end of the day, the only way to truly save money is to not buy stuff.    Money doesn’t walk out of your wallet on its own accord.

My March  streaks to track
    Track Minimalist game  items (Nov 310)   (Dec  95)  (Jan 90)   Feb 50
    Exercise streak  
    YNAB days:: Target 50 days -Age of money 29
    Track my NSD's - Target 13 days/ 0/13

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6289577/future-proofing-my-life-deposit-saving-then-mfw-journey-in-under-13-years#latest
  • VintageHistorian
    Options
    It appears that all the mouse talk on @Cheery_Daff's diary has spread, because the damned mice are XD

There I was, sitting on the sofa on Thursday morning, giving DS his second breakfast of the day, when a caught movement out of the corner of my eye. My first thought was that it was a huge spider, which nearly sent me into a panic right then and there. But as I stared at the spot in the hallway where I had seen the movement, a small mouse crept out from around the side of the shoe bench!

Cue much swearing, which startled the little !!!!!! back into hiding. I called my Dad, who couldn't hear much over the sound of DS crying because he was scared and I'd taken his bottle away, but he heard enough to go to his local DIY store and buy some traps. We paid our usual Thursday visit to my parents and came home with two humane and two poison traps, and stopped off for Nutella and peanut butter on the drive home.

Mr VH primed the humane traps with Nutella, neither of us wanted poison around unless it was as a last resort, and then put one in the kitchen and one in the hallway. I then moved it to the side of the shoebench I had seen it. He also checked the hallway and couldn't find the mouse so we assumed it had escaped, it probably got in through the tumble dryer vent.

Got up Friday morning - no mouse in the trap. Give DS his first bottle and put him down for a nap - no mouse in the trap. Take DS out for baby yoga, come home to pop to the loo before we go to Waitrose - and there's a mouse in the shoebench trap! I devised a convoluted system of putting the trap in the bucket for our papershredder (since it's very deep and has smooth plastic sides) and then put that in the large box our highchair arrived in, and then wedged that into the footwell of the car. Drove to a coutry park, DS typically fell asleep in the car as he was worn out by the excitement, and I released the mouse into some trees on the edge of the park's car park.

The second trap has now been moved to the shoebench space but so far nothing else has been caught. And long may it stay that way! I then had another small panic on Friday afternoon after I found three little mouse droppings on top of a quilt I use to pad DS's little playmat T_T So lots of things were bundled into the wash on a 95 degree cycle and Mr VH cleaned downstairs yesterday, including wiping things down with Dettol. No other mouse poop was found. No idea how or when the little !!!!!! got onto the playmat as it was hung up most of Thursday, but they are ingenious little climbers and it may have had the run of the house on Thursday while we were out, or on Friday morning.

I want to block up the tumble dryer vent and use the space under the sink for the bins. Mr VH wants to finally get a new tumble dryer as the bedbug crisis in France is freaking him out a little bit (he's had a bedbug experience in the past). I know it's not very MSE or very environmentally friendly, but I wash everything at 60 or 95 degrees as standard anyway, so tumble drying is less of a concern to me. But he wants to make sure there's enough heat to kill them so we may get a tumble dryer.

TCB suddenly had my car insurance cashback ready to pay out, so I got £42.38 from them along with £6.82 from PA and £2.96 TT, giving me £52.16 OP which I sent last night.

Still haven't listed anything on eBay though. It's been that kind of week!

Dinner tonight will be some kind of roast dinner from the freezer, with ready to roast potatoes and veggies.

Have a good week everyone!
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Total overpayments in 2021 - £901.28!
  • Cornish_mum
    Options
    Oh no, poor you. I suggest checking behind the kick boards in your kitchen for signs of more (this is what we were advised to do, the last time we had them). Keep the traps down for a while in the same place as they can be very neophobic, so it can take several days to approach a trap. Hopefully it will be sorted soon CM
  • VintageHistorian
    Options
    Jumping on as I expect DS to wake up from a long nap at any moment.

OPs since my last post:
    October - £196.21
    November - £149.61

I've dropped the ball in the past few weeks as DS has hit a clingy phase and it's quite hard to do any side hustles when he's swapping between wanting to snuggle on my lap, then play on the floor with me nearby, then come back to the lap cuddles again.

I also had an expensive November as we renewed the buildings and contents insurance (but did get it cheaper using the comparison platform on TCB), and I had a dentist check up (expensive train tickets) that then required a filling to be replaced (more expensive train tickets plus the cost of private treatment). But it's done and dental work is something that I won't compromise on when it comes to price.

In more exciting news, Mr VH has applied for a 12 month career break for next year. It'll be unpaid of course, so we'll be living off just my wage. I'll go into that more in another post as I can hear little noises over the baby monitor, but suffice to say that I'm keen for Mr VH to get more time with DS (I'm having my year after all!) so I'm happy to spend a year being financially careful in order to let that happen.

Dinner tonight will hopefully be spaghetti bolognese, assuming DS will sit in his highchair long enough for me to get the bolognese started.

• ruby_eskimo
    ruby_eskimo Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lovely to hear a little update and exciting plans on the horizon for next year.
    Emergency Fund - £7992.62 / £10,000 :: Total Mortgage OP - £34,692
    LISA 24/25 - £0 / £4000 :: NSD 2024 - 13 / 180 :: Moving Fund: £838.83 :: Decluttering - 143 / 365
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
  • VintageHistorian
    Options
    Mr VH has been given the nod from his boss so now we're just waiting on the official confirmation from HR, so it looks like the career break will be going ahead!

My maternity leave finishes mid-March but I then need to take some built up annual leave before I go back officially, and Mr VH starts his career break at the end of March but needs to use up his annual leave before his end date. This should give us some cross-over but if we've miscalculated and there's a day or two gap then grandparents will happily have a day with DS.

As far as Mr VH is concerned, he's taking this break because we still don't have confirmation of a place from our preferred nursery and our second choice is £15 a day more, which we can't really afford. By having a year with DS himself we can push back the nursery application to March 2025 and give ourselves another year on the waiting list, which will hopefully secure our place (also I suspect they have fewer older children coming in and more of them going out as family circumstances change).

As far as I'm concerned, Mr VH is burnt out in a job he doesn't particularly like, but is too worn out to work out what else he could do or even look at other options. I'm hoping that after 6 months with DS he'll have enough mental distance to be able to start thinking about what he wants the next 18 years to look like in terms of being there for DS throughout his school years, and can maybe start looking around at other jobs and realise that he has a lot of skills and experience that can be transferred. He's only ever worked for one place, and after a while that can make you feel like you're stuck there with no hope of getting out. We can't afford for him to be a permanent stay at home Dad, but we can give him the year.

Financially speaking it will be tight. Our current mortgage deal expires in April so our monthly cost will be going up, but overpaying means that it won't be as big a shock to the system as it could be! I've budgeted for DSs monthly expenses including him growing out of his clothes, and estimated what our council tax will be based on the assumption that it'll go up by 5%.

The two biggies will be food and energy, but we'll have a bit more wiggle room with food once DS is off formula. Energy is more of an unknown but we don't want DS to go cold so we'd rather rejig the budget elsewhere if costs ramp up suddenly. There's also the cost of petrol, so I'll have to get used to walking to work in all weathers like I did before the pandemic! It'll be good for me anyway, and better for the environment.

I've told my family that next year their gifts will mostly have to be homemade, which they're all fine with. I made a list of everything I know how to bake last night so I'll just send them the list a month before their birthdays and ask them to pick two things, and I'm planning on buying their birthday cards from Etsy after Christmas so that side will be paid in advance.

Side hustle wise, I'm planning on using my WI talks money for my savings, but otherwise OPs and extra treat money will have to come from other sources. We already use Clubcard points for Disney+, I've also got some vouchers for magazines that I need to use, and we have our National Trust life memberships for cheaper days out.

Hopefully it will all work out but you just don't know until you're in the thick of it! As long as we can pay the bills and feed DS we'll be fine.

And now I need to go feed some apple porridge to a baby. Dinner tonight is oven pizza! Have a good weekend everyone!

• f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Sounds fab V_H.  It will do Mr V_H the power of good to take that time and re-evaluate.  Plus he is going to get all of Spring/Summer with baby V_H to bond when he is properly getting a little personality ( the baby, not DH. 😂)
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure