Bricks Not Books

Options
1333435363739»

Comments

• LadyWithAPlan
    Options
    Sounds like a great plan for your family! 
    How wonderful your frugal focus allows you both to have this quality time and also space  to dream big for your life. 

hopefully the mortgage rise won’t be so bad if rates tip down a little - I am sure you calculated current worse case scenario if they haven’t moved down by your re mortgage date 

Can I add to some comping to your list if it isn’t there already - it can really help with adding extra treats into your life especially if you focus on local events so free tix to things or local restaurants vouchers or specific hobbies etc. 
    It does take time but can be done around babies etc 
    mse has a competitions list … 

There will always be a (beautiful stilettoed) foot in fabulous in LaPlan's life.
    I am choosing to be fabulously frugal to support some wonderful life changing and affirming financial goals including buying a London home I love.

DON'T BUY STUFF (from Frugalwoods)
    No seriously, just don’t buy things. 99% of our success with our savings rate is attributed to the fact that we don’t buy things. You can’t really hack your way to frugal. You can and should take advantage of discounts, coupons, rewards points, and the like. But at the end of the day, the only way to truly save money is to not buy stuff.    Money doesn’t walk out of your wallet on its own accord.

My March  streaks to track
    Track Minimalist game  items (Nov 310)   (Dec  95)  (Jan 90)   Feb 50
    Exercise streak  
    YNAB days:: Target 50 days -Age of money 29
    Track my NSD's - Target 13 days/ 0/13

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6289577/future-proofing-my-life-deposit-saving-then-mfw-journey-in-under-13-years#latest
  • Cornish_mum
    Options
    Hello VH, wonderful to hear your update, it sounds like a brilliant plan and it’s very impressive you are making savings, at all whilst on matleave. I hope you all have a very happy Christmas CM
  • VintageHistorian
    VintageHistorian Posts: 895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would call this my quarterly update but it's even a bit late for that  :s Once again the year has gotten away from me and I'm suddenly writing down things that happened months ago!

Important bit first, the overpayments:
    January - £153.79
    February - £180.84
    March - £143.58

April is the last month where we'll have big overpayments as our mortgage deal changes over on 1st May. Currently we pay £576.84 a month, from May it'll be £733.05  :# So a jump of £156.21

Except actually it's not quite that large a jump. Because we've been paying £124 a month as a standard overpayment, our monthly mortgage payment has been £700 for the past 2 years. So actually we're only going up by £33. The big shock comes from our ability to overpay at all being wiped out. When we first got the mortgage we were paying something like £670 a month with a standard £30 to hit the £700 mark. We've leapt over that entirely now!

(As a side note: Our daily interest is currently £5.70, in May it will be £15.19!)

But at least our regular overpayments do mean that we're not scrabbling around trying to find £150 extra from a budget that couldn't manage it in the first place. And after playing around with my new spread sheet, set up for the next 5 years, I noticed that a mere £10 a month overpayment would mean that our mortgage would drop under £100k in December 2029. And Mr VH likes nice round numbers so we'll be overpaying at least £11.95 to make our mortgage payment a full £745.

I can easily side hustle my share of £5.98 from Prolific alone, and we'll see what else the Side Hustle Gods throw my way over the next 5 years. My Speakers money always goes to my savings but there's other places (eBay, Redbubble, Zazzle) that money drips in from throughout the year. And we don't need to touch any of the child benefit money we're saving for DS.

And speaking of DS, he's now very happy that Daddy is around every day. Mr VH's career break started just before Easter. I had a lot of annual leave to use up so I'm back at work at the end of April and we're using this as a handover period. So most mornings I lurk upstairs (hence me starting this at 8.45 this morning) while Mr VH handles the morning routine, several times a week I go out for a few hours in the morning so DS gets used to me going away and coming back, and then I have playtime in the afternoon. Hopefully Mr VH is feeling a little more confident, but I'm only a 30 minute walk away and I can skip lunch breaks to come home early if he's struggling so it'll all work out okay. Personally I think he's been brilliant so far but he worries he's not doing "enough".

This month has been a very spendy month as I've bought things ready for my return to work. But I don't normally splurge like this so a one-off will be fine. It includes two new pairs of boots, which should last me 2 years if not more, and the first new glasses in 10 years. So not things I'll worry about buying again in 6 months time.

And now time for breakfast! Friday night is lazy dinner/pick your own night, so I'm having a bolognese from the freezer and Mr VH is having a curry ready meal. Have a good weekend everyone!
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Total overpayments in 2021 - £901.28!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport