PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm's Thread 2017

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Just started my Christmas book that my Dd got for me (asked for it :):)) Alan Bennett's Keeping on, Keeping on. I enjoy his writing and heard some of it a few weeks ago on Radio Four, its his third book of his diaries
  • Syman
    Syman Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    *Margaret* wrote: »
    Managed to get to the library at the end of last week and picked up a few books. I've finished the first one which was Angela Marson's Silent Scream.

510HR4HwbRL.jpg

It was quite an easy read and the characters were well developed although I must admit I'm a bit baffled by the thousands of 5 star reviews it's got online as I didn't think it was as well written as it might have been. If you like thrillers with twists then this is probably worth a read.
    Save
    Save

i have read most of the DI Stone series. they are pretty standard fare for the genre, but good reads never the less.
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!:mad:
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow.. :p

Bookworm's Thread 2019 reading Challenge total :- 1/60
  • Percybridge
    Options
    I am an avid reader, but totally undisciplined. I have about 8 books on the go at anyone time.
    I am thinking about joining a book club and am wondering if anyone has ever been to one, and what they discuss.
    Is it like an O level/A level English lesson, which I hated at the time, but I think I would quite enjoy now?
    I used to watch Coronation Street a few years ago and I remember a conversation with Kevin Webster and his daughter's English teacher when he compared a book to The Soppranos. His wife was very dismissive of the comparison but the English teacher thought it was insightful.
    I think if I joined a book club it would make me read things much more thoroughly.
    Do they discuss only literature or is non fiction discussed?
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,561 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi all and happy new year!
    I definitely want to be involved on this thread this year! Reading is my life, but so far this year I haven't yet read a book!!! Shocking for me, I'm usually more than one a week!

Just prior to the new year I read Slade House by the author of Cloud Atlas, David Mitchell. It was different and took a bit of getting into but I came away really having loved it!

sladehouse.jpg

I also have Cloud Atlas to read, because I loved the film.

I also have a shelf groaning with books to read. I love books and always keep the good ones - I'm very good at reading over and over!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I go to a book club once a month and find it really interesting we have been running for around five years and its via our local library. There is a list of availble books, and we take it in turn to choose one .Some are good and some are rubbish but if you don't like it you don't have to read it When we meet we all chip in to say what we thought of the book in question and then we give it marks out of ten.
    These are added up and put in a large book with our comments and whether it worth reading All very friendly and informal.we have a Christmas party every year and the 9-10 of us have all become good friends
    The library arrange writers who come to the Medway area and give talks to the local area book clubs, and they have been jolly good evenings

Nothing at all like school more of a meeting of folk who enjoy books and reading Nothing too areduous and I have read some good books that I probably wouldn't have thought of reading If your local Libraries run them go along you might be pleasantly surprised
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    I go to a book club once a month and find it really interesting we have been running for around five years and its via our local library. There is a list of availble books, and we take it in turn to choose one .Some are good and some are rubbish but if you don't like it you don't have to read it When we meet we all chip in to say what we thought of the book in question and then we give it marks out of ten.
    These are added up and put in a large book with our comments and whether it worth reading All very friendly and informal.we have a Christmas party every year and the 9-10 of us have all become good friends
    The library arrange writers who come to the Medway area and give talks to the local area book clubs, and they have been jolly good evenings

Nothing at all like school more of a meeting of folk who enjoy books and reading Nothing too areduous and I have read some good books that I probably wouldn't have thought of reading If your local Libraries run them go along you might be pleasantly surprised
    Sounds lovely, Jackie! When I read your posts I long for retirement...:)
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,798 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 January 2017 at 11:59AM
    Options
    I have just read "When the floods came" by Claire Morrall.

Set in the nearish dystopian future when the climate has gone pear-shaped, and from the perspective of a young adult living with family with only online contact with other people until a stranger arrives......

I was quite enjoying it, although it developed quite slowly. Then suddenly right at the end it whizzed into a not particularly likely scenario and left me thinking "what?? is that it??"
    So either the author got bored towards the end or it's set up for a sequel. If there is no sequel then there's definitely something missing as I felt I was left hanging rather than the book coming to a natural close.

Not as good as Astonishing Splashes of Colour, if anyone's read that. I'd still say worth a read but don't expect a brilliant ending.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • *Margaret*
    Options
    I've finished my second book of the year which was this one

sweetheart.jpg?w=663

It's a supernatural/psychological thriller about a couple who are struggling to conceive and decide a move to the country may help. Charley, the wife, finds their new house strangely familiar...and then spooky things start to happen. This book was originally published in 1990 and it's set in 89/90 which I didn't realise until part of the way through - the dates do matter to the story later on. The book is well written but a bit of a supernatural mishmash - past lives, ghosts, ley lines! It was quite enjoyable though and suitably creepy in parts.
    Save
    Save
  • VALM
    VALM Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    *Margaret* wrote: »
    I've finished my second book of the year which was this one

sweetheart.jpg?w=663

It's a supernatural/psychological thriller about a couple who are struggling to conceive and decide a move to the country may help. Charley, the wife, finds their new house strangely familiar...and then spooky things start to happen. This book was originally published in 1990 and it's set in 89/90 which I didn't realise until part of the way through - the dates do matter to the story later on. The book is well written but a bit of a supernatural mishmash - past lives, ghosts, ley lines! It was quite enjoyable though and suitably creepy in parts.
    Save
    Save

This sounds good. Must look out for it.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • Syman
    Syman Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Finished my second book of the year

26889473.jpg

A little slow to start, but once into the heart of the story it was pretty good. It's about a group of men who, for various reasons, could not sign up for the military, so join the Auxiliary Fire Service just prior to the Blitz.

It tells how they bond as a unit, along with some concurrent story lines about a few of the individuals.

3.5 stars - not fantastic, but quite enjoyable (if that is the right way to describe it given the subject matter :o)
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!:mad:
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow.. :p

Bookworm's Thread 2019 reading Challenge total :- 1/60
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills