PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm's Thread 2017

Options

Comments

• *Margaret*
    Options
    51a%2BcDjMPIL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I'm part way through this but think I may have to give up on it :( I've never read Lynda La Plante before but I've seen the TV versions and she does the scripts for those which are good. I was very surprised when I started reading as it wasn't at all what I'd expected. It's written in quite a sparse way, in the sort of detached, factual language that police officers use in official statements. It is a police procedural but even so the writing is very dry. I don't normally give up on books but even though the story has hints of being interesting it's a bit of a slog. Will give it one last try over the weekend I think. I might try something else from her in case this book isn't representative of her writing - if anyone has a favourite La Plante book I'd love to know about it.
    Save
    Save
  • alice-mary
    Options
    Hi All, I'd love to join but need to check something first! I love reading BUT have in the last couple of years got myself hooked on audio books...I can thoroughly immerse myself in the story but can also knit/crochet or even close my eyes while doing so. If that is allowed, then please count me in!

Alice
    xx
    Debts in March 2007:
    Loan £24,180 Argos Card £2000 C Card £2000 O/draft £2000 Mortgage £113,000
    Debts in Jan 2020:Loan £2900 Sister £0
    Argos Card £0 :j C Card £0 O/draft £0 :j
    Mortgage £96,000 (finally on a repayment mortgage :) )
    Getting there slowly .....
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,799 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    alice-mary wrote: »
    Hi All, I'd love to join but need to check something first! I love reading BUT have in the last couple of years got myself hooked on audio books...I can thoroughly immerse myself in the story but can also knit/crochet or even close my eyes while doing so. If that is allowed, then please count me in!

Alice
    xx

A book is still a book, whatever the format. Welcome aboard.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    2 serious topics for books 4 and 5:.

29552007._UY200_.jpg
    7.5/10. A re-read from last year, had to take it into the public library because reading it at home would have left me in floods of tears at the injustice served to women. Huge swathes of the world are horrible places to be female and we are so lucky to be in Europe.

41ddaSy+G5L._AC_US160_.jpg
    7/10. Adoption is not as simple as fixing your children's problems with a hug, it's a tough journey that requires huge commitment!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I just finished reading Says It Loud by Grace Williams. It was a riveting read for me. It deals with disability, the sexual awakening of disabled people, institutions for physically disabled and/or mentally disabled children and adults and care in the community issues. What I really loved about this book is that it is essentially a Love story between the 2 main characters. They are both very endearing and so believable.
  • RicardaRacoon
    Options
    I'm still in my light-reading mode and have finished another Mary Scott book and started the 3. Quite enjoy them, although I have to say that none of them so far was as good as the two I already knew (Tea and Toast, A change from mutton)

Finished so far:
    Breakfast at six / Dinner doesn't matter (two in one, so I will count it as only one book for my 36 books challenge)
    Turkey at twelve

Reading at the moment:
    Shepherd's Pie

Don't ask me why all her books have a title related to food...
    Fashion on the Ration 2022: 5/66 coupons used: yarn for summer top 5 /
    Note to self, don't buy yarn!
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Book 6:

22698053._UY200_.jpg

9/10, a heartwarming and hilarious book I just couldn't put down! Thanks to all that recommended it on last year's thread, would probably never have heard of it otherwise, but reading it has been a joy. Needed this after the last 2 depressing reads based on real life. Can't wait to see the film.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Syman
    Syman Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Book 6:

22698053._UY200_.jpg

9/10, a heartwarming and hilarious book I just couldn't put down! Thanks to all that recommended it on last year's thread, would probably never have heard of it otherwise, but reading it has been a joy. Needed this after the last 2 depressing reads based on real life. Can't wait to see the film.
    Top book, read it after seeing it in last years thread. another similar book is 13227454.jpg
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!:mad:
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow.. :p

Bookworm's Thread 2019 reading Challenge total :- 1/60
  • Cool_Runnings
    Options
    Finished Just One Look by Harlan Coben. This has been sat on the shelf for some time, and I certainly don't regret finally giving it a go. An excellent mystery/thriller, you always want to read one more chapter just to find out the next piece of the puzzle. I have an unread Coben e-book too, so am looking forward to getting on to that one soon.

I also got what I thought was a bargain Dean Koontz e-book freebie, but five minutes in realised it was a short story, and a prequel to another book! Oh well!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Picked up I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh from the library when I went to take a book back and finished reading it late last night. pretty good thriller with a twist really enjoyed it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure