Credit card and rating?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Before you cancel the existing deal, make sure you can get the better deal.

If you can get it, then cancel the existing sim - it won't have started reporting to your file yet - the most that will appear this early will be a search which will have little impact now and even less in a few months.

If you are declined for the other deal then continue with this for the time being and try again in the future.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • MHOWARD_2
    MHOWARD_2 Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    Dobbibill wrote: »

If you can get it, then cancel the existing sim - it won't have started reporting to your file yet - the most that will appear this early will be a search which will have little impact now and even less in a few months.

If you are declined for the other deal then continue with this for the time being and try again in the future.

Thanks for the help again. Make sure when you go on holiday you have internet access, you never know when I might need advice:D
  • MHOWARD_2
    Options

Just wondered whether an Argos store card is a bad idea, i did apply for one and was offered £750 credit limit. Just wondered how they are looked on by other lenders?
    I'm actually wondering if I'm overdoing it with the​ credit now-
    I have aqua card, luma and capital one credit cards.
    One Vodafone phone contract and three sim only(Vodafone,tesco and ee).

All are paid off in full every month, i just want to get to a place where I can get normal credit cards with a decent limit and normal interest rates if I needed a loan(but I doubt I will).
    Regardless I have come from not being able to get a phone contract to the above in under six months and i appreciate everyone's help with that. Just need to find the right balance now so i can get good rates etc.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    MHOWARD wrote: »
    Just wondered whether an Argos store card is a bad idea, i did apply for one and was offered £750 credit limit. Just wondered how they are looked on by other lenders?

Exactly the same as any other card. ie they don't see the provider.
  • Dobbibill
    Options
    It will all work out but your best friend is time - it's not going to make you a perfect customer overnight (if that even exists) but evidencing the way you manage credit every month will make you more appealing....but in time.

You're doing good ;)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• MHOWARD_2
    Options
    It will all work out but your best friend is time - it's not going to make you a perfect customer overnight (if that even exists) but evidencing the way you manage credit every month will make you more appealing....but in time.

You're doing good ;)

Hello again.

I now have the Argos card and we spend a lot (well she spends a lot) in Argos. Now it's a new tumble dryer and possibly fridge freezer. These were planned anyway.
    Now if I were to buy these in Argos (depending on their price obviously), how would you recommend I do it. Argos card on buy it now pay in 6 months 0%, Argos card and pay it off straight away or debit card?
    Thanks again mate and anyone else who replies!
  • Superscrooge
    Superscrooge Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you do make use of the 6 months at 0% Make sure you pay it off before the end of the 6 months as Argos charge interest from the date of purchase rather than when the 0% offer expired.

if you don't pay in full by the plan end date or keep your account up to date, you'll be charged interest on the daily balance from the date of purchase
  • Dobbibill
    Options
    I don't think there's a difference - it's a planned purchase which you have the funds for anyway - as long as you don't exceed the interest free deal, costing you interest.

• MHOWARD_2
    Options
    I don't think there's a difference - it's a planned purchase which you have the funds for anyway - as long as you don't exceed the interest free deal, costing you interest.
    Hi Dobbiebill and everyone else who commented on this thread. It now been over a year since I made the thread asking for help on how to raise my credit worthiness. Well from not being able to get a mobile phone contract, I now have four of them (me, partner, two teenage children) and I also have six credit cards with a total credit limit of about £4500. I know people have that much limit on one card but I dont need any more. I know that I could raise the limits on a few but I dont need it.
    Thanks for all the help. At least now I can apply for a phone and no longer worry :D
  • Dobbibill
    Options
    I can't believe it's a year already.

Well done on getting your limits increased. I'm glad everything worked out for you after the rough start with declines for anything and everything you were trying to get.

Thank you for coming back to update us - it helps others to see a follow up on how things panned out.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family