* I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread

Options

Comments

• freespirit66
    Options
    Afternoon everyone,

PEPPAPIG aww your poor DD2 she must have been gutted going to all that trouble then getting nothing but trouble bless her, it was such a lovely thing to do as well. Yes i had a lovely really relaxing day thankyou, have you taken your decs down?
    #103 1p Saving Challenge Back to Front 293.94/665.95Currently Reading: Christmas at Cedarwood Lodge - Rebecca Raisin Debt Free thanks to MSE
  • 3forholidays
    Options
    Peppapig wrote: »
    Well I didn't take the decs down today as DD2 arrived totally unexpectedly to take me out for a surprise. We picked DD1 up and she'd arranged somewhere to go which turned out to be a tea rooms in Cambridge. Unfortunately she'd never been to Cambridge before and I didn't know that's where we were going so couldn't warn her in time about the traffic unfriendly city centre and the pop up bollards and difficulty parking. Consequently we drove an hour to get there (DD had already been on the road for two hours coming up to me) an hour round Cambridge trying to park and then gave it up as a bad job. We were all really hungry by this time then we got a puncture and spent two hours in the dark at the side of the road waiting for the breakdown people (DD has a car that doesn't have a spare). We eventually got back to DD1's with mac Donald's then poor DD2 had to drive home and DH came to pick me up. I feel really sorry for DD2 that she planned a lovely surprise and it didn't work out. The best laid plans and all that

Brings back memories of this years summer holidays - we eventually gave up and used the park & ride! Me and mum did say to dad about using the P&R but he wouldn't listen! :mad: Was a few arguments that day! :D
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 : SPC 11 - £975 : SPC 12 - £845 : SPC 13 - £700
  • murie
    murie Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh Peppa- your poor DDs! What a shame after all that planning and riving that they were able to spend the day as they wanted for you. At least you got to spend time together even if it was within the confines of the car!

I had a good buy of a Christmas tree off amazon earlier in the year- £6.25 for a 7ft tree! It DID look lovely until the maniac kitten discovered he could climb up it-it now has Bailey shaped bare patches where he has pushed between the branches.

Mrs I- that was a very thoughtful present of a night away in a hotel! Has everything remained intact or has the reign of destruction continued?

Welcome all newbies!!
    Im reading with interest the different ways people save their pennies as this year is going to be expensive as I have an 18th and 21st (DNs) and DD is 21 in July plus her graduation (fingers crossed!) around the same time.

Im glad everyone sounds as if they had a lovely Christmas. Is it just me or has it flown past quicker than usual??
    lovin' this site!
    :j
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    murie wrote: »
    I had a good buy of a Christmas tree off amazon earlier in the year- £6.25 for a 7ft tree! It DID look lovely until the maniac kitten discovered he could climb up it-it now has Bailey shaped bare patches where he has pushed between the branches.

:rotfl:

I got a tree today. Just a basic one but at least it is better than what we had £10 for 6ft (I couldn't fit anything bigger in our house)

I will continue to look during the year (great tip about ebay, thanks crazy-cat-lady). If I find anything better this one can go to my dad, I think he is still using the one he had when I was a kid and I am in my forties!
  • Peppapig
    Peppapig Posts: 1,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Decs are down FREE but tree still up, will hopefully have that down tomorrow. I think I've got too much furniture, it still feels too cluttered to me but I'm reluctant to get rid of any in case we do move this tear and have more room.

MURIE at least Bailey won't have to customise the tree to fit next year as it's already been done lol.

Glad you managed to get your new tree IAMMUMTOONE.

Had a lovely couple of hours today with the two DGSs at the autism friendly theatre performance. Had lunch first then the show which wasn't the Snow Queen at all it was the Snow Dragon, it was quite interactive and both littlies enjoyed it although youngest (autistic, 3) was ready to go by the end lol.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year :
  • Mischiefmanaged
    Options
    Thanks 3forholidays, will check it out. Anything to keep me on track will help

Hi Iammumtoone, I've got it set up that my bank automatically transfers a tenner every week from my and dh's account. I've just bought one of the tins as a separate savings for out holiday in 2018. Trying to think ahead as best I can.

Nothing remotely christmassy here except more laying on the settee, eating chocs and watching Harry Potter. Trying to decide when take down the decorations. I want to get them down ASAP but everyone else wants them up till the new year. We'll see.

Might pop to town tomorrow but not holding out on getting any bargains. A few years ago I'd search for hours for good deals but as I'm getting older my patience is wearing a bit thin for it all. Have got £100 in John Lewis vouchers to spend but it's going to go on house bits. I'm in desperate needs of some new towels x
  • nic2075
    nic2075 Posts: 3,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    PeppaPig, sorry to hear your day didnt work out with your DD. It was a lovely thought.

I'm going to to brave Silverburn shopping centre in Glasgow today. I'm hoping it will be a bit quieter now some folk are back to work. It was miles of backed up traffic on the 27th, so I avoided it. But me and the kids all have vouchers and money to spend, so they want to go for a look. I'm trying to get them gee'd up so we can head off at 9:30 for it opening. But so far only DS is up and dressed. He usually hates shopping, but the money is burning a hole in his pocket lol. He is after some more characters for his new lego dimensions he got. im after some new running trainers and leggings. My others are tatty. Wish me luck that it's nice and empty, shoping with 3 young kids is never easy.
    :santa2::xmastree::santa2:
  • Clumsy42
    Options
    Hello everyone. Hope everyone has had a lovely Christmas.

Quiet as usual here. Well, yesterday it wasn't. We had the annual family party. Mum's baking and buffet were brilliant as usual! :T

Hoping to get out some time this week to see Fantastic Beasts at the cinema. Not today though. We're all too busy recovering from yesterday! :rotfl:
    “In 900 years of time and space, I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important”
    - Eleventh Doctor
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Hope you all had a fab Christmas.

Ours was lovely, out for dinner with friends on Christmas day which we do every year, then Boxing Day at my Mums. My Sister brings the 2 little un's over.

This year was the first year I was organised & I loved it. Everything was bought & wrapped by November at the latest so didn't have to do any rushing around at all. Also tried to buy everything with a discount or online deal of some sort.

Will definitely be carrying on with that.

I am saving £40 a month towards Christmas & New Year 2017, this is for our meal that we pay for & whatever we do at New Years Eve.

For Christmas pressies I am doing as many surveys as possible to let them build up, saving up my points with Nectar, Boots, Superdrug for the yea to use them & will save any extra pennies as & when I can.

In Sainsburys they had some deals on the other day. I bought 5 packets of Christmas stickers £6 down to £0.60 each & also 2 wee emoji Christmas pudding juggling balls £5 down to £1. The kids will love them!

My present cupboard is pretty thin, only started it this year but going to keep at it, this is something that my Mum always.

Dxxx
  • freespirit66
    Options
    Afternoon everyone,

NIC i hope the shopping wasnt too bad we just popped out to pick up my food shop and get a couple of bits in boots and a cheeky starbucks and it was heaving, down here weekdays are the same as weekends??

PEPPAPIG yes i wanted to get mine all down tomorrow but now i have Thumper in the morning so i might have to wait until saturday, i cant do nye with christmas decs up :rotfl:

#103 1p Saving Challenge Back to Front 293.94/665.95Currently Reading: Christmas at Cedarwood Lodge - Rebecca Raisin Debt Free thanks to MSE
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure