* I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,096 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hello, half term sloth has struck. and although there are loads of jobs l should be doing, CBA wins the day.
    Chrissy, £400 is a heck of a whack for accommodation! at that price the hotel should not only cater to DDs needs, they should serve it with gold spoons! as for travel agent why not give them currency in the denomination of the country? not quite so cold blooded? I don't mind people knowing what l have spent on them, as 'it is the thought that counts'. Mind you, l would be asking them if they wanted me to come or would they rather l simply put the accommodation cost straight to the travel agent, might make them think a bit.
    You could always skype the ceremony.
    Right l'm off to look at the freebies board for tealights, thanks.

The currency idea is perfect thank you .

Had a call from the Drs yesterday I do have an infection ( no surprise there) I was expecting the usual 3 days antibiotics but have actually got to take 4 tablets a day for 7 days.
  • vulpix
    vulpix Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hope you will be feeling some results from your medication soon Chrissy.

I DID IT ! only undercoat mind,and I couldn't quite reach the top even on a ladder,so Mr V is bringing me a taller ladder from work if he remembers.It took 2 hours.Looks so much better already.Mr V refused point blank to just do the very top for me.He is pants at DIY though.

Well chums,I have got myself a little job.I start today and I am nervous.We shall see how I get on,it may come to nothing.Will tell all after iv'e been.

How are you getting on with the house sale peppa?What are your plans when you have sold?

Hope things are ok Murie.

Half term is over here and I am glad to get back to normal.I am feeling so much better.I was completely fed up of having a cold for most of the last 2 months.Bulbs are up and some are flowering in the garden.I cannot wait for it to dry up a bit and I can get out there.How middle aged is that.I knew I was grown up when i started liking gardening in my 30's.:)

When my current craft projects are finished I will make a start at making all the kids and partners a stocking each.The plan is to spend about a tenner on bits for each one and then give money.Stockings are not very big.BTW dig out all your pound coins from your piggy banks as we are having the new shape pound coin soon.I imagine there will be a cross over period but it would be a shame to loose out if you miss the time limit.

Vx
     :
  • princesskitty29
    Options
    Hi all, we’ve just had a lovely weekend which is so nice as we haven’t really done anything since I’ve been ill! We went down to Southampton on Saturday, visited a beach, saw some friends then stayed at the Hilton at the Ageas Bowl (Hampshire’s cricket ground) with a three course dinner and a view of the cricket pitch from our room. Then on Sunday we took Wiggle to Peppa Pig world. It could have been great, but Wiggle had a problem with queuing – as in he didn’t want to! Once he finally accepted he had to queue for things he enjoyed it.

On the wedding present front, we did tell people they didn’t have to buy us anything but if they wanted they could donate to our honeymoon. I was adamant when I started planning my wedding that I wanted to tell people not to give/buy us anything, but someone had a quiet word with me and said the problem with that is that some people will feel like they have to buy something regardless and that we would end up with lots of stuff we didn’t necessarily need, or loads of picture frames! I don’t mean that to sounds ungrateful, it’s just that we had everything we needed and didn’t particularly need new stuff. I then wanted charity donations but DH insisted we had honeymoon donations as we were already paying out enough. There were a couple of people that didn’t donate and that was absolutely fine by us, as we said we didn’t expect people to. I honestly wouldn’t have minded if no-one had! I also wouldn’t have cared how much people donated, even if it was just a fiver but I can see how it’s uncomfortable for people. Oh I feel bad now!

freespirit don’t be too jealous of my wrapping paper, whilst I am very grateful not all of it is quite to my taste! :p Might have to jazz it up with bows and ribbons!

CHRISSYG I hope you’re not too rough with the water infection and that it clears up quickly. Oh gosh weddings can be so expensive when you have to stay away! I genuinely can’t believe that they can’t accommodate your DD’s dietary needs! That just sounds crazy to me, I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t cost more as catering places have to take dietary requirements into consideration.

pixtotts the idea of making gift bags out of wrapping paper sounds great, although my attempts at stuff like that rarely ever turn out like they should! :p

Peppapig hearing that your DGD has discovered YouTube made me smile, if I let him Wiggle would sit for HOURS watching videos of hoovers and washing machines. Yes, you heard me right! He has a proper obsession with hoovers, if he’s not playing with one he wants to watch them on YouTube (you’d be amazed at what people put on there!) Even when we get his play doh out he insists I make hoovers for him! Oh selling houses can be quite stressful, I hope you have successful viewings coming up.

Clumsy I’m sorry you had two funerals you had to attend, I’m glad it was better than you thought it would be. Wow, I would never have expected violence in a library!! :eek: Although I suppose it can happen anywhere. I’m sure it shook you up a bit, I hate stuff like that.

04624181 I’m glad you have a contract in place with your job. By the way, I love the fact that even though I haven’t been on here regularly for months I can still remember your number off by heart! :D

vulpix sounds like you are being really productive at the moment!

nic a wigwam break sounds lovely! I'd love to do something like that in the future.

Ooops sorry for such a long post everyone!
  • princesskitty29
    Options
    I missed a page when I was posting my last post, well done on the new job vulpix and good luck, i'm sure you will be fine! What is it doing? You already sound busy enough around the house! Thanks for the head's up on the currency.
  • freespirit66
    Options
    Afternoon everyone,

MRSMONEYPENNY lovely to see you again

04624181 congratulations on the contract that is fab news

PEPPAPIG you are doing well on the viewings i am crossing my fingers you will get a good offer

NIC the wigwams sound fab i bet the kids absolutely loved it, what brilliant memories they will have

CHRISSY i would have thought a catering firm would accomodate most meal requests, i also would have thought the couple would be a bit more understanding towards your DD

VULPIX well done on getting the painting done even if it is the undercoat it is still an achievement, ooh intriguing i hope your job goes well

PRINCESSKITTY oh your weekend sounds lovely, you must have been desperate for time out after the way you have been feeling. Glad Wiggle enjoyed PeppaPigWorld, Thumper went for his birthday last year
    #103 1p Saving Challenge Back to Front 293.94/665.95Currently Reading: Christmas at Cedarwood Lodge - Rebecca Raisin Debt Free thanks to MSE
  • Peppapig
    Peppapig Posts: 1,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Ooh VULPIX I always feel really liberated when I've had a good clearout of stuff we don't need. Well done on getting on with the architrave too. Hope you enjoyed your first time at the new job, can we hear about it yet?

CHRISSY I think you're being really good, I'd be very tempted just not to go - you could treat you and DD with the money instead :D Hope the antibiotics have kicked in now.

DOMRAVIOLI hope the news from the mental health services was what you were hoping for.

PRINCESSKITTY so glad to hear you might be moving on from the sickness. My GDG loved Peppa Pig World when we went (so did I) and littlest DGS has now discovered The little pink monster so we may have another trip on the way. Unfortunately said pig upsets DD's OCD, not only because both eyes are on one side of their faces but because they all have alliterative names Peppa Pig, Suzy Sheep, Pedro Pony etc, and then there's George Pig - how did that happen? Methinks you could turn Wiggle's Hoover obsession to your advantage lol. A bit in awe of you today, I'm here all the time and I still can't remember more than 0462!

FREE hope you're feeling much better and have a nice trouble free spell now.

MURIE hope all went well yesterday, was thinking of you.

Well we're going to view two houses at lunchtime - I don't think either of them will be any good but even if we rule them out it will be progress. DH has realised that although a bungalow would be ideal he'd rather have a house where we live now than a bungalow in a different area. I think it's because he has confidence in our GP surgery and the hospital so hopefully things will work out and there should be more properties coming on the market as we get towards spring so fingers crossed.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year :
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 882 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    vulpix wrote: »
    BTW dig out all your pound coins from your piggy banks as we are having the new shape pound coin soon.I imagine there will be a cross over period but it would be a shame to loose out if you miss the time limit.

Banks are able to change them/send them off indefinitely :) We found a load of the old 50 pound notes at Nanny's last year and they paid them in no problem for us :) so no need to worry about breaking the ones you have to break into :)

princesskitty29 - Ah don't feel bad about the wedding present thing it makes perfect sense. It's a tough one a couple of my friends were just moving into a new house so it was mostly house stuff but set up on Amazon when they sent the invites out presents started arriving directly to them, over 6 months before the wedding so most of their wedding presents had been used by the time they got married! Another couple of my friends ;) (if you remember me saying about the mega posh wedding I went to last year.. them!) had a wedding list most of my group of friends couldn't afford to buy anything from! I was already sorted but the rest grouped together and bought things between them lol. And one that amuses me (because I don't like him very much...probably shouldn't say that.... :/) they had donations to a children charity which is lovely but their reasoning was because they were both at uni working towards professions that would involve working with children, both changed their mind before graduation and work in different fields now! It's still a nice thing to do but the whole essay on the reasoning is redundant now...

I think the problem is people are very traditional when they think about weddings, but the way we live and relationships go isn't the same, my parents had bought their house but both remained at home with their parents until they got married, a mix up at the hotel meant their wedding night was the first night spent in their home, so 90% of the stuff in the house was wedding presents, I'm forever hearing "the freezer/washing machine/placemats/teapot was a wedding present". But people get mortgages together with no plans of getting married, and live together from just weeks or months after starting a relationship without thinking about it now, and as a society we accept that yet still we can't shift our idea of what wedding presents should be. Strange isn't it...

It's like I confuse a lot of people when I tell them I have no plans of getting married or having children, I used to say "if I do it wasn't my idea!" they think I'm mad or that I'll grow into changing my mind, or I'll fall in love and suddenly want tradition. Luckily my boyfriend has always said he wont either so we should be ok... Though I have to say I am coming to recognise that we would benefit legally and financially if we did... maybe we'll elope so it looks better on paper haha!

Ah annother essay.....can anyone tell I'm avoiding doing housework.... :rotfl:
    x
    I hope you know your capable, & brave, & significant.
    even when it feels like your not....
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    pixtotts wrote: »
    It's like I confuse a lot of people when I tell them I have no plans of getting married or having children, I used to say "if I do it wasn't my idea!" they think I'm mad or that I'll grow into changing my mind, or I'll fall in love and suddenly want tradition. Luckily my boyfriend has always said he wont either so we should be ok... Though I have to say I am coming to recognise that we would benefit legally and financially if we did... maybe we'll elope so it looks better on paper haha!

Ah annother essay.....can anyone tell I'm avoiding doing housework.... :rotfl:
    x

I swear if I hear one more person comment 'kids will be the making of you two' or 'clock's ticking' (which I must admit is a change from 'oh well, I guess you have plenty of time') I might not be responsible for my reply. Why on earth do people (and mainly men) feel its socially acceptable to pass comment / judgement / observation on our plans / no plans to reproduce is beyond me. :mad::mad:
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• mrsinvisible
    Options
    Golly gosh, what an extra-interesting page of posts, l had to think really hard (ouch). I fall into the traditional mortgage/marriage/presents category, and am still using some of the wedding presents some 45+ years later, in fact, my main mixing bowl is part of a set we were given as an engagement present. The childer however, did it their way, (or didn't IYSWIM).
    Peppa, house selling and house hunting are so very stressful, so please be careful, and take time out for 'me and us time'.
    Vulpix, very mysterious, l wait with bated breath, so do tell soon.
    Pixtotts and Kerri, people are so insensitive, nosy and bl**dy rude. They don't know your circumstances, l have a friend who is childless not by choice, and she used to get so upset at similar comments. One of my cousins is childless and ringless (but with a lovely man) from choice, and her response to the commenters is along the lines of 'we looked at you/yours and decided not to add to the worlds woes' It shuts them up.
    Now, do l get up and clean house, or bring my breakfast back to bed, decisions, decisions,
  • Peppapig
    Peppapig Posts: 1,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Ha ha MRSINVISIBLE I'm loving your cousin :D. I think you're right about the stress of buying/selling, I'm def stressing more this time so I'm going to try to just take it as it comes and get back to doing/thinking about other things.

We saw the two houses yesterday and, as I thought, neither were any good for us as no practical potential for downstairs loo. Seeing other houses is def making me appreciate ours more though, I don't think we're going to see one locally that we can afford and that's got more to offer than ours but we do want a much smaller garden, easy maintenance and off road parking. I think we should stick with the bungalow idea if we can although that limits us to one road if we're going to stay in this village. I'm going to try and take MRSINVISIBLE's advice and not let it take over.

I'm getting the urge to change my front garden display now and put the winter one (the rustic deer and mini conifers) away and plant some spring flowers in the planter instead. Maybe spring is coming. I wish I was one of the sensible people who plant bulbs in the summer/autumn for spring flowering but I never remember in time.

Happy Thursday everyone, hope storm Doris is kind to you.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year :
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport