* I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread

Options

Comments

• pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 882 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Peppapig - oooooohhh I love irregular choice!! Mine now slip off my heels but I still can't part with them :( I think their shoes are my most watched items on ebay haha!

freespirit66 - Ah you'd have loved the other one I was sniffing in there then! It smelt a lot like the yankee candle one from what I remember.

Oh the candle subject does anyone know anything about re-wicking them? or where I can get the gubbins from?
    I have a couple I've had forever that tunnelled (my favourite sainsbobs Christmas tree ones with too small a wick for the size of the jar :( ) I'm thinking once I empty another I'll melt it down and rewick it... except not a clue what I'm doing... :/ lol!

It's been a weird day I woke feeling a bit iffy, then felt really productive because I painted a cup for a birthday present for my sisters friend, and cooked lunch, but I seem to have done nothing since :/ and I have a papercut I need to post out tomorrow :eek: thinking maybe I'll give myself till 6 then try and muster up some motivation again
    x
    I hope you know your capable, & brave, & significant.
    even when it feels like your not....
  • System
    System Posts: 178,096 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well GP didn't give me Antibiotics she is waiting for the test results so a weekend of pain to look forward too!
  • Clumsy42
    Clumsy42 Posts: 166 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello everyone. Haven't been on in ages. :wave:

Had the two funerals last week. They weren't too sad and I quite enjoyed meeting relatives from my Dad's side that I hadn't seen since I was little. So all in all not a bad trip considering the circumstances.

Been doing my volunteering at the library once a week. I'm not sure how long I'll do it for 'cause it's not exactly what I wanted to be doing. But my fellow volunteers are nice and it gets me out the house. Had quite the shock at yesterday's session though. Witnessed real life violence for the first time. Let's just say it ended in real blood spilled. In a library of all places! :( Not letting it put me off though, fairly sure that sort of thing doesn't happen very often at all and I don't think the rest of us were in any real danger.

Seems like all I post these days is negative! Sorry if I'm bringing the mood down.

Loving all the crafts, well done on the Christmas finds and hope those feeling ill pick up soon. xx
    “In 900 years of time and space, I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important”
    - Eleventh Doctor
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Pixtotts you can get candle wicks on eBay and lots of places online if that's what you're looking for? https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=candle+wicks&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari

Clumsy42 sorry to hear about the funerals, isn't it sad in a way it's events like that which bring people together.
    Never heard of violence in a library before...it wasn't over the last copy of 50 Shades of Grey was it?! Glad everyone is ok.

Little bit of Xmas progress here, I managed to get some packing peanuts on freegle today so I can 'wrap' the woodwick candles I got in the boots sale in gift boxes at Xmas. I can stick the peanuts in the loft with the wrapping paper. Just need some ribbon and boxes nearer Xmas now. Feeling a bit chuffed with myself, not sure if I subliminally remembered someone had offered some packing on freegle that gave me the idea or if it was just good timing.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• vulpix
    vulpix Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Pk,nice to hear from you again,don't be a stranger now!

Pixtots,it's so easy to make candles from stubbs.You can get new wicks from eebay for not very much.Put all your wax in a pan and slowly melt (taking care not to wander off like me and nearly burn the house down)Stick the wick in whatever you are using for the candle with a blob of melted wax.poor in the melted wax.I would say get longer wicks than you think you need as you need to support them with a couple of pencils or something to keep them still while the wax sets.When the candle is set the top will shrink and not look too pretty.Melt more wax and top up.Dont worry about old wicks n gubbins in the wax,it sinks to the bottom of the pan during melting.wipe the pan out with kitchen roll whilst it is still warm and wash the pan as usual.

I have spent the day mending DD2's school trousers,giving the worktop a sand and another coat of varnish and touching up the paintwork around the house that had been scuffed etc.I WILL DO THE PAINTING IN THE KITCHEN SOON.I will also sand and paint the new skirting that DD1's rabbit chewed Grrrrrrrrrrr.

Vx
     :
  • vulpix
    vulpix Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    P.S forgot to say good luck Peppa with house viewings.

I could not get the lid off the emulsion today for love nor money.Tried a knife and a screwdriver.Gave some French tourists a shock who were walking past when i rushed out and shoved the tin in their hands! Haha.
     :
  • System
    System Posts: 178,096 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Old woman grump alert

Going to my brothers wedding in October so far it's going to cost almost £400 for accommodation . The invite arrived with a card enclosed saying the only gifts they want is donations to their honeymoon and detail of the holiday company to ring to pay direct .
    I don't know why but this has really annoyed me!
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    CHRISSYG wrote: »
    Old woman grump alert

Going to my brothers wedding in October so far it's going to cost almost £400 for accommodation . The invite arrived with a card enclosed saying the only gifts they want is donations to their honeymoon and detail of the holiday company to ring to pay direct .
    I don't know why but this has really annoyed me!

Probably because of the amount you have to shell out for accommodation more than anything. I've had a few friends weddings who asked for £ or a donation to their honeymoon and TBH it was easier to do that than faff thinking of a gift, or try and find something on a gift list that didn't cost a fortune. Even with gift lists (and it's been a long time since we've actually had one to choose from thinking about it) we usually just opt for vouchers. We asked for gift vouchers or £ when we got married (13yrs ago nearly) when it wasn't nearly as accepted, but we were getting married abroad and it made more sense rather than trying to carry 20 toasters home :rotfl:

It also sounds like they're presuming people want to give gifts and being a bit demanding rather than saying something like 'sharing our day with you is the greatest gift we could ask for but if you'd like to, then we'd really appreciate some funds towards our honeymoon where we're planning to go to X, here's the details'
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• freespirit66
    Options
    Evening everyone, i went to HB today to get the usual toilet roll etc and wanted a nice spring candle but they only had the little ones no big ones at all. I ended up getting two little flowery ones because the others didnt have that great a fragrance, so we shall see if we can smell these two. They still had a few christmas bits on the shelves but nothing reduced, all the same as it was at christmas.

MURIE i hope everything is ok with you all my lovely, you are probably up to your neck in everything x

PEPPAPIG glad you had a fab time with DGD and then DGS, i have Thumper coming over tomorrow so shall sneak a few cuddles in :D Good luck with the house viewings thats very positive having 3 straight away, i used to hate people coming in and looking around my house too! I hope you get to wear your lovely shoes soon x

PIXTOTTS i hope you found your get up and go my lovely and got your papercut done

CHRISSY i hope you havent been in too much pain with your tooth. I would be grumpy at having to spend all that as well, from what i have heard that is the norm these days asking for donations to the honeymoon, i hate people knowing what ive spent :o

CLUMSY glad the funerals werent too upsetting for you. That would have scared me silly seeing a fight and blood everywhere especially in a library of all places

KERRIGT its getting the little things out of the way like packing, wrapping etc that helps enormously come christmas time

VULPIX well done on getting the paint touch ups out of the way and sanding and varnishing the worktop. Oh that made me giggle you accosting strangers to open the tin of paint :rotfl:

#103 1p Saving Challenge Back to Front 293.94/665.95Currently Reading: Christmas at Cedarwood Lodge - Rebecca Raisin Debt Free thanks to MSE
  • mrs-moneypenny
    Options
    Hello everyone I've just found you again as I forgot to sip us ribs to the new thread when it started.
    Hope everyone is well
    Hugs and get well vibes to all who need them.
    Not doing anything hugely Christmassy but I have been working on a Christmas crossstitch which I'm hoping to get finished to have framed up fit the coming Christmas.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure