* I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread

Options

Comments

• girlinayellowdress
    Options
    Murie I have a dys0n hairdryer and love it. My excuse for buying it was I have psoriasis top to toe and my scalp is one of those problem areas. The dryer has actually stopped my scalp being quite so irritated and dries my hair quick and naturally. I expect someone else will be able to give styling advice but for quickness and gentle on the skin it's a winner in my book. Saying that for those on my IG will see I recently took off about a foot in length of hair!
  • alja
    alja Posts: 838 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well I've just written all my old school friends' Christmas cards, feeling really organised by getting them all sorted.

I'll be writing cards for a few neighbours of mine, my parents, OH, his family and friends we have on his side too, so still lots left to write!

Does anyone know roughly when marks and sparks start their 50% off weeks when they do 50% off a different range of gift sets each week? I buy a lot of beauty gifts from them for my parents at Christmas, so I need to keep on top of when the best time to buy them is.

If anyone knows of any good places that give you the heads up on what is on when (maybe hukd I'm thinking?) that would be so lovely! :)
  • kpwll
    kpwll Posts: 4,273 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 October 2017 at 12:48PM
    Options
    Best wishes for your procedure alja.

I was fed up of just having rolls of wrapping paper last year so I bought loads of sheets from Amazon. I just put it in the Amazon search bar and up they came.

They were not the old type tissue thin sheets but withstood handling/folding well.

If anyone is tempted, check the size of the sheets, as they are not all the same. The smaller ones were good quality and useful for smaller items but not for something like pjs etc. The larger ones were good too.
  • vulpix
    vulpix Posts: 2,313 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just a quickie.I got the cocktail baubles in Morrisons but not with booze as you would expect.They were on the top shelf with seasonal goods.Blink and you would miss them as they were with toiletries etc.

I have to get a sparkly tablecloth.Just for show,i can imagine Ds dropping gravy and sprouts all over it!

I always get paper in the January sales.It makes sense to stick to similar colours every year Murie, so using up won't be as obvious as mine is this year.

Vx
     :
  • VintageHistorian
    Options
    Had a little mooch around the Christmas section of Wilko yesterday and spotted some really nice wrapping paper. Didn't have much time as I wanted so I'll go back in a few weeks for a proper look. I also need some Christmas decorations as this is our first Christmas here, so I'm bauble hunting. There's some gorgeous ones in John Lewis, but hideously expensive (as all JL things are) so I might just buy one as a special "first Christmas" treat using some money left over on a wedding giftcard we received.

I also need to finish off my Christmas shoeboxes so need to have a look around Primark for winter things soon. This is my first year as an area collector (I've been doing them for the charity, Link to Hope, for a while now but this is the first year I've been able to volunteer to act as a drop-off point) and someone's already dropped off 20 shoeboxes! She said she'd always wanted to do them for the charity but there was never a collector around here before, she was thrilled when she saw I was now on the list.

I've also started to add to my list of ideas for my siblings. Need to start increasing my candle purchase for Mum's gift but I'm worried about the scent wearing off while they sit in a box in the spare room for the next 2 months. Or do they not really lose their smell?
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Total overpayments in 2021 - £901.28!
  • StokieBecks
    StokieBecks Posts: 4,997 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Got all my wrapping paper and tags after last Christmas for pennies. Think got some from Morrisons and some from Sainsbury's - will have to get it out as can't remember what it looks like :D:D

Should have some deliveries coming tomorrow all being well. Including my own Christmas present from my Dad as he always asks me to buy what I want and he pays me back and wraps it up.

Hope they don't keep me waiting in all day as need a trip to town as well.

Might do some wrapping if I have to wait in as seems you are all organised on that front :D
    £2 Savers Club for 2022 #12
  • jakes-mum
    jakes-mum Posts: 4,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Evening all, I feel like i might be in the minority here but i love wrapping christmas presents! I set aside an entire day where I lock myself in the bedroom with everything and go for it, only person allowed in is DH with cups of tea (and he soon scarpers because even after all these years he worries I might try and cajole him into helping :eek: but as it takes him DD and DS up to 3 hrs to wrap 3 presents for me . . badly . . there is no chance of me EVER letting him near my wrapping party! :rotfl: )

I always buy my wrapping paper in the january sales and find Waitr0se do very good discounts on their paper if you wait till after the new year. I always get rolls for 40 - 50p a roll and its nice and thick, but im not above the cheap stuff that tears immediately for 10p either :rotfl: (DD's birthday is also in january so I try and get plain silver and red to use on her gifts along with those cut price sweeties)

Ahh thank you Sammy Kaye! if you do manage to find out I will be eternally grateful, bless her, its all she wants. well that and Fifa 18 lol

Thank you Peppa pig, she is indeed my little star, she really doesn't ask for much bless her, if I do spot a deal I shall make sure to pop it on this thread :)

Talking of DD, I have been musing! She has all of a sudden become mad on Harry Potter, she is working her way through the films and has started to read my books, so I was wondering about buying tickets to take her to the HP tour in london, DH thought we could make a day of it, take the train and maybe stay overnight in a hotel with her. Has anyone been? is it good for an almost 10 year old or would a child get a bit bored after a while? i've never been and asking DS what it was like is . . well . . . like asking a snail if it could hurry along :o

Still soldiering on with mums cardigan and looking up security cameras for my dad.

I have found a hot chocolate man! He's in Cardiff but posts and he supposedly makes the most awesome hot chocolate which is Vegan, Gluten Free and Nut Free. Now my DS is a coeliac, my BIL goes into anaphalactic shock when he eats gluten and my Sis is, well, allergic to a rediculously long list of things . . BUT they can all drink this hot chocolate (and my BIL and sis are HUUUGE hot chocolate fans!) so I am seriously considering buying them all some for christmas.

I now need to figure out what to buy DH, the man of many expensive tastes, and he has asked me the question of doom, what do I want . . the answer is absolutely nothing, there is nothing I want apart from a bag of maltesers that I don't have to share! (and maybe a fake pack of after eights from poundland . . they are soooo nice!). Not sure how he's going to take me saying 'nothing thanks' :o
    SPC No 002 SPC(3) £285/£250 (4) £519.84/£500 (5) £768.32/£500 (6) £911.30/£600 (7) £913.23/£600 (8) £1184.82/£750 (9) £2864.04/£750 (10) £3846.25/£1000 (11) £1779.72/£1000 (12) £1596.55/£1000 (13) £1534.70/£1000 (14) £775.60/£1000 (15) £700.20/£1000 (16) £2081.34/£1000 (17) £0/£1000
  • whitesatin
    whitesatin Posts: 2,088 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Peppapig wrote: »
    VULPIX/MANDCO in our house the Christmas chocs have to be protected from me!

STOKIE I know what you mean, I feel like I'm making real progress then I check the list and realise I've still got lots to get.

SASHANUT if you scroll back a few weeks you should find some posts about Christmas markets that might help you because we did have quite a chat about them.

KPWLL my DD is the same but so am so it's ok :D

CARLISLELASS glad your parcel was ok this time.

JAKESMUM your daughter sounds lovely. If you do spot the Fitbit on offer do let me know.

Hope you get your garden tidied MRSI, we were lucky today as it didn't rain til about half past four.

WHITESATIN that sounds a sensible way forward. Can I ask where you saw the lego deal?

Been watching QVC on and off today but just bought the led lights on thin wire because I left it too late last year and missed them.

Peppapig, it was on HotUKDeals the other day, I checked prices online and £18 was a good price so I ordered. I fear they may have sold out now but worth a look - George online. Good luck.
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks so much for the suggestions for mum’s voucher- much appreciated! I’ll print it off at uni tomorrow and then i’ll have a think about what to do. This year’s wrapping paper is from Ikea- random I know :D I was there buying a chair for my study and decided to buy my wrapping paper :D
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • LMG1305
    LMG1305 Posts: 179 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Wow this thread is moving quickly now!!

I had a sort out of my bedroom this weekend, well a little sort out anyway & came across a few things that I have already bought that I forgot about. They are only small things, like a book for DD2 and some smellies, but it's a start :)

I have been putting stuff on ebay this weekend too. Some of the things I've put on there were presents I received last Christmas, which were just not being used & still in boxes looking brand new, so I thought rather than them going to waste I would get rid of them & use the money to put towards Christmas presents.

I am in work at the moment so going to catch up with the thread properly later, it's moving so quickly now I can't just pop in & out anymore!! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure