Walk 2000 miles in 2017

Comments

• indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    SG27 wrote: »
    Actually are you counting all daily steps or going on specific walks using a GPS tracker. According to my phone I do around 1000miles a year just walking at walk. Then with stava I have 750 running so I nearly did it!

Personally whilst my watch does track steps I don't take much notice of them and only include my runs in my distance for the year. I usually run over 30 miles a week anyway.

Most people are just counting steps from walking though.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • legoman62
    legoman62 Posts: 4,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I decided to try and cycle 6000 miles this year.

Never done it before, up to 5850 including today:rotfl:
    16 Sanyo Hit 250s.4kWp SMA 3.8kWp inverter. SW roof. 28° pitch. Minimal shade. Nov 2011 install. Hybrid car. Ripple Kirk Hill. N.E Lincs Coast.
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    I don't have the time to commit to that, nor would I want to. I don't want my walking to become a chore and will stick at the level I am happy with. It will be another 1000 miles for me.

Good luck everyone.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • I struggle to even do the 10,000 steps a day, had a Fitbit since end of December last year and so far have done 2,894,946 steps, 1,188.47 miles, 5,425 floors. I usually only manage around 7,000 steps a day!
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Jonbvn wrote: »
    Great idea. I'm game.

If you are getting a fitbit, I would highly recommend myfitnesspal, since they play nice together.

I'm going to be MSE and stay with my pedometer, it's accurate ( I did a walk and the checked it by driving round:o).
    SG27 wrote: »
    Wow big target. You need to average 5.5miles per day! Just the time commitment alone will be tough!

I only checked my mileage from around June, but I have done around 1800 this year, so an increase of around 2-300 miles is not too much. I have four dogs, so unless I'm ill or the weather is truly awful, I'm going to be doing a fair amount anyway.

@Ilona I think all that matters is that is that it makes you try and get out. Thouggh I have four dogs, it's easy to say it doesn't matter and a run in the garden will do, so this kind of thing keeps me - and the dogs - on our collective toes!
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Mercedes55 wrote: »
    I struggle to even do the 10,000 steps a day, had a Fitbit since end of December last year and so far have done 2,894,946 steps, 1,188.47 miles, 5,425 floors. I usually only manage around 7,000 steps a day!

But most people only do 3-4000 so 7000 is good:j

Another 3000 a day is only half an hour, so if you fancied challenging yourself is there some way you could those in? Either 3x10 minutes a day or one big walk to the shops. Of course it doesn't matter if you don't, you are still doing double the average of a sedentary person:D
  • Jonbvn
    Jonbvn Posts: 5,562 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Ilona wrote: »
    I don't have the time to commit to that, nor would I want to. I don't want my walking to become a chore and will stick at the level I am happy with. It will be another 1000 miles for me.

Good luck everyone.
    Ilona

Do whatever is good for you. The key is that you are doing something, not sat on the sofa!

BTW, I will be counting all my steps from work, exercise & home, whatever I am doing.
    In case you hadn't already worked it out - the entire global financial system is predicated on the assumption that you're an idiot:cool:
  • count me in! should we set up a fitbit group or something to track ourselves?
    :santa2:
  • 2000 miles is loads!!!!! Do you guys really have the time for that? Might track mine for January and see how i get on.
    Can now be found in the Millionaire Challenge thread :beer:
  • Just spotted this, I have still been working on this years total :o

I am up for the 2000 miles, I already average over 30 miles a week so it should not be that difficult to acheive.

I use a TomTom Runner watch to keep track of my walking (I don't run) and it has kept me on course since I started using it back in June this year.
    I get out twice a week at least with the Ramblers and most other days myself, I already keep my signature updated every week so nothing will change there (other than the title)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure