London - Australia non stop. Heaven or Hell ?

Options
Murphy_The_Cat
Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
edited 11 December 2016 at 6:37PM in Flights, currency & car hire
From 2018, Qantas are planning on flying Heathrow - Perth non stop with a 17 hour flight.

Heavan or Hell ?

BBC article

Comments

• peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    For me that would be absolute hell. I suspect my parents would be interested, they fly to Perth every year to visit my brother, usually connecting in Doha or Dubai with a 2-3 hr stop. That sort of journey is not for me, I would rather take a day longer and have a proper stop over.

I wonder how much the risk of DVT increases on a 17hr flight in economy!
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    I wonder if they'll do £1,084 business class return fares?
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think they are using Dreamliners for this flight, bring it on. We go to Australia every second year and luckily I can sleep anywhere and I'm quite small.
  • Crispy_Ambulance
    Options
    I think I'd hate it - I get stir crazy on a 9 hour flight, let alone 17 hours
    "Harry, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee."
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It'll be interesting to see how they structure the fares and if they'll be compatible with Emirates/Qantas from PER-DXB-LHR.

Even if you were in business with a flat bed, 17 hours is a long flight, you may only sleep for say 8.5 hours with another 8.5 hours awake.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Shimrod
    Shimrod Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've done 14 hour flights from Hong Kong and South America, so the flight time doesn't sound too bad. I wouldn't do it in economy class though. Can't afford business class, but we do pay for premium economy on our long haul flights - the larger seats and legroom make the flights bearable.

I'd take the time saving on the flight to maximise holiday whenever possible.
  • alanrowell
    alanrowell Posts: 5,365 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Great if you are going to Perth, another 5 hours to Sydney
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I've done LHR PER with an hour on the ground in the Middle East and SIN , never,ever,ever again without a layover.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I would much prefer non stop
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm not so sure. If we could afford to fly business class, I'd certainly consider it.

Otherwise, I'd rather split the journey for the sake of my bum.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure