Las Vegas guide and MSE thread 2017

Options

Comments

• Seldom_Seen_Kid
    Options
    Currently we have nothing booked. We got an amazing deal for our November 2016 trip, and so everything seems to be looking that bit expensive at the moment. We are looking to go back to LV in November 2017.

Just wondering what strategy to take with social / total rewards. I only started playing in August 2016 for our November 2016 trip, so did not spend too much time researching it. Currently have about 1,500 points on social rewards.
  • StuieUK34
    StuieUK34 Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hey Guys....
    Flight/Baggage Question...

I did the DUB-LAS flights last year, and missed the last leg from London to DUB... However, that was a mixed bag flight...
    IE: Virgin Atlantic - LAS to LGW, and then BA - LHR to DUB...
    We collected our bags, as change of Airport anyway....

But if we were flying with BA, from LAX to LHR, and then final leg of flight is LHR to DUB (which we want to miss), in theory, we should be collecting our bags at heathrow, as its like the US, you collect your bags at your entry point, regardless of doing collecting flights (u re-check bags in)...

Am I right ? looking to book DUB-LAX this week, 1 night in Big Bear Lake, then 9 nights in Vegas, but have to take the 14yr step-daughter, so as you guys said, gonna be a slightly different holiday compared to normal!
    Daft question, are Kids/Teens allowed to walk from the pool back to there room by themselves if they wanted ? (Hotels targeted this year are Monte Carlo <has pool closure, so we use MGM pools> , Luxor and am gonna try and blag free nights in the RIO, so we can skip the Monte Carlo if the Rio pulls through)..... Comp rooms only....
    Although the new MLIFE offers don't appear to be out yet :(
  • bubble113
    bubble113 Posts: 484 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Stuie

Can't help with the bag question, sorry.

My son is happy to go back to the room on his own and doesn't have any issues. As its first time for your step daughter the only thing might be the size of the hotel.

If she knows where she is going and is happy to do it, I see no problem. Obviously people have their own way of parenting and wouldn't let their kids go anywhere without them on holiday but we feel our son (15) is sensible enough and confident to manage certain things on his own, this will be his 7th visit. You won't see him wandering up and down the strip or at a craps table....I hope;)
  • Brats64
    Brats64 Posts: 465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Not sure if this relevant to your question Stuie..
    But when we did Dublin-Vegas-Dublin last year,we just made our last leg
    Man-Dub for the following day after the Las-Man part of the trip.

So obviously we just collected our bags at Manchester,then went home.
    Missing the following days Man to Dublin flight.
  • stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    Options
    StuieUK34 wrote: »
    Hey Guys....
    Flight/Baggage Question...

I did the DUB-LAS flights last year, and missed the last leg from London to DUB... However, that was a mixed bag flight...
    IE: Virgin Atlantic - LAS to LGW, and then BA - LHR to DUB...
    We collected our bags, as change of Airport anyway....

snip.........

Lots of discussion of missing the return connecting flight on the BA forum on Flyertalk Stuie.

By the sound of it if you have a long layover at LHR before departing back to Dub you have a good reason to ask the check-in agent to drop the bags at Lhr. I have never requested it before but on a trip last year I thought about it as our bags were labelled for return to Stockholm via Sfo then Lhr. We had a BA connection back to Stockholm then our SAS flight back to Man. Time wise I suppose it didn't make much difference as we would have had to get to central London then back up north.
  • yozzer2006
    Options
    Your bags will be tagged all the way to Dublin. BA are being very strict now and I doubt the agent at LAX will short check them to LHR.

One option for you would be to select Gatwick - Dublin for your final BA flight. You would get your bags back at LHR
  • StuieUK34
    Options
    Cheers guys
    Yeah, was reading old news on Flyertalk last night (2yrs old), but I guess it makes sense, that if your connecting flights are in same airport, the Agent in LAX would check our bags through to DUB, rather than LHR......

I did look at the same flight as last year, which was LAS-DUB , via LGW and LHR--> DUB, which does require collecting bags, but the cost of that flight isn't very MSE!!
    Back to the drawing board......
    My target, if possible, is to get to Vegas for Max £410 each, and don't mind jumping through hoops! I have seen a 2 stop flight from MAN-LAS for the dates we want end of May, but that's £499 each....... its on my list as a fallback anyway :)
    I'll keep you all posted!
  • StuieUK34
    Options
    I found the flights to do:
    DUB-LAX (via LHR)...
    then LAX-LHR , 1 day gap, then LGW-DUB
    = £356 (all BA)
    So defo collecting bags, as I don't believe BA transfer bags from airport to airport! :D
  • nvh
    nvh Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 February 2017 at 2:21PM
    Options
    StuieUK34 wrote: »
    I found the flights to do:
    DUB-LAX (via LHR)...
    then LAX-LHR , 1 day gap, then LGW-DUB
    = £356 (all BA)
    So defo collecting bags, as I don't believe BA transfer bags from airport to airport! :D
    It doesn't matter about the airport switch, as you're leaving a 1 day gap - I don't know of any airport that will hold your bags overnight, so you're fine with doing just that. They will not check them through if you build in an overnight.
  • StuieUK34
    Options
    Supposedly, Norwegian Air are doing a Flash Sale from 10am tomorrow......
    As they fly to Vegas & LAX, i'll hang fire on crazy flight plans! :D

Option I will put us on, will be: DUB
    >Philly
    >Vegas
    and Return, will be: LAX
    >LHR
    LGW
    >DUB (collecting bags at LHR and going home :D )
    Cost: £384. Will do single flight from Bristol (£36), giving over 3hrs between flights, and then rely on the wifes dad playing taxi to BRS and LHR ! :D

Now to work on those Hotel Deals!!! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport