edited 9 December 2016 at 11:17PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.2K replies 130.4K views

Replies

• ArtytartyArtytarty Forumite
    2.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ladies and Gentlemen!
    I have to tell you about my latest sewing obsession- Dickeys.
    What on earth? I hear you ask.
    Basically, A dickey is a cut down blouse or shirt .
    Videos available on ytube etc.
    I'm busty and blouses are always bulky on me and make my jumper sleeves too tight etc.
    I have always worn jumpers without anything under them- except a thermal haha!
    I bought several blouses I liked in a charity shop, a nice plain white cotton one, a fresh green and white striped one, a multi blue and red one.
    Cut down the shoulders and down the front and in a bib shape, overlock the edges, add a bit of elastic between the front and back beneath armpit level et voila!
    I can't believe how well they have turned out and now I can wear some of my wider necked jumpers that were getting a bit chilly these day.
    The whole look is very fresh and fun to do.
    Maybe I haven't explained it too well but if anyone is interested it's easily found.
    They retail for around £20 which is crazy for half a blouse!
    Norn Iron Club member 473
  • Laura_ElsewhereLaura_Elsewhere Forumite
    840 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Artytarty wrote: »
    Ladies and Gentlemen!
    I have to tell you about my latest sewing obsession- Dickeys.
    What on earth? I hear you ask.
    Basically, A dickey is a cut down blouse or shirt .
    Videos available on ytube etc.
    I'm busty and blouses are always bulky on me and make my jumper sleeves too tight etc.
    I have always worn jumpers without anything under them- except a thermal haha!
    I bought several blouses I liked in a charity shop, a nice plain white cotton one, a fresh green and white striped one, a multi blue and red one.
    Cut down the shoulders and down the front and in a bib shape, overlock the edges, add a bit of elastic between the front and back beneath armpit level et voila!
    I can't believe how well they have turned out and now I can wear some of my wider necked jumpers that were getting a bit chilly these day.
    The whole look is very fresh and fun to do.
    Maybe I haven't explained it too well but if anyone is interested it's easily found.
    They retail for around £20 which is crazy for half a blouse!

Hugely popular during the war, and recommended by govt leaflets, as it meant worn-out clothing could continue to be worn! A variation for those who dislike jumper-against-skin is to sew the prettier dickey/cuffs onto a plain t-shirt or vest-top, so the visible bits are prettier, and the invisible bits cheaper/ thinner/ cooler/ whatever.

Have you experimented with using the blouse cuffs, or half-sleeves, under the jumper-sleeves? A bit of a faff but can look so good it's worth doing.
    2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 74.5 coupons left out of 74.5
    (66+8.5 from last year)

2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
    2.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    No I haven't tried that yet, I took off spare buttons and chucked the rest in the bin, feeling slightly guilty!
    I quite like the idea of sewing the dickey part into a t shirt though., that may be my next obsession.
  • PollyWollyDoodlePollyWollyDoodle Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I still haven't got my sewing mojo back yet, but I do love the idea of 'dickeys'. I am also quite busty, and although I would love to wear a shirt and pullover it never looks right, whatever size I buy. I've just put a couple of shirts in the charity bag, I'm tempted to get one out and try this. What a great idea.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
    2.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I swear, it is so easy, I wish I had done it years ago!
  • edited 8 October 2019 at 12:03PM
    silvasavasilvasava Forumite
    4.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 8 October 2019 at 12:03PM
    Lost my post so here it is again as best as I can remember!
    Blenky - I use Bulgomme on my dining table to cut out on (its the stuff that protects tables from heat) it makes a sound non slip surface and also protects the table as I sew on it too.
    Love the idea of 'Dicky's - thats where the phrase 'Dicky Bow' came from as gentlemen couldnt always afford a fresh shirt every day ;)
    Managed to get 4 reels of overlocking thread in basic colours from Liddly - seem to be reasonable quality,time will tell ;)

Forgot to say I've tackled the pile! A couple of CS bargains that needed 'tweaking' - a Monsoon sweater that I took the seams in on the body to make it less baggy and a black and white dress that was too short on me. It had a black band trim on the hem so I cit it off,shortened the dress and re-attached the band,now it makes a really nice top. I also repaired DS2's jeanse that he'd ripped the a*se out of! Its all clear at the moment..............;)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Can anyone advise me, please? I bought a beautiful 50s/60s style fine wool dress in a Charity/Vintage shop (Octavia Foundation). It is elegant and was meant originally for my Granddaughter, who is into Vintage. It is too big all over for her.
    I am really "lusting" after it for myself. Could I unpick it, use it as a pattern and "grade up" making a new toile? Would you say there is a limit as to how much one can increase the size in this way? Is there a book/video that might be worthwhile?
    I've done a fair bit of dressmaking, a few courses, but never taken on something like this. The detail on the dress means I have not seen anything similar in any of the Big4 or Indie patterns.
    Hope someone can offer some help. Happy New Year to everyone!
    2.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ooh, that sounds very challenging and at the end of it you wouldn't have a vintage original and the dress will never be the same again if you try to put it back together.
    Better to give it someone who can wear it as is and buy yourself a vintage pattern in the right size. Remember old vintage pattern sizes are much smaller than the modern equivalent.

I would make a fourteen now and maybe be an eighteen in a vintage pattern.
    Could you not make it smaller for your granddaughter? That would be easier I think.
  • Thanks Arty - "I know it makes sense" but I am reluctant to give up on it. At first I thought I could "display" it on my dressform as an inspiration/example - until I remembered I have padded out my dressform to my measurements!!! Why has none of the weight I lost over the past year come off my waist?
    What puts me off about doing all the work for my Granddaughter is that like most youngsters she has sufficient disposable income to buy pretty much what she wants in the way of clothes. She wears a uniform to work, and does not have much call for "elegant". It just seems that I would benefit more - if I could make it work...…..
    Thank you for your reply, though.
    2.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know what you mean, you want it to be treasured.
    Maybe I would display it on a stand or even just a hanger.
    I have a beautiful vintage black embroidered silk kimono hanging from the picture rail in a bedroom.it has a bamboo pole holding the arms out horizontally. Mind you, it's given a few guests a bit of a fright!