PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The sewing thread

Options

Comments

• Supersavera
    Supersavera Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 23 July 2019 at 9:00AM
    Options
    I want to boast of my new Brother - super machine for sewing, embroidering and quilting! I'm litteraly can't stop using it, I recieved it a week ago, but already made 4 presents for my relatives!
    Ordered it on amazon and was so afraid to get a junk,but it's the best I've ever purchased on the net!
    I can share my research on versatile sewing machines and some links if anyone intrested) Let me know)
    We don’t inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Laura_Elsewhere Posts: 2,410 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    is there any more equipment I need to start?

Enthusiasm, adventurous spirit and the cheerful acceptance that you WILL make mistakes, that's why they invented old sheets, and that the mistakes won't matter tuppence :)

Have a great time! Well done!
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Echo what Laura said!

Useful to have - a seam ripper (or "reverse stitcher" as my sister and I call it :rotfl:) and some spare bobbins. Consider a small cleaning kit, or at least a soft brush, for cleaning lint out of the bobbin race every so often. If my machine is jamming or skipping stitches I find a good clean usually sorts it out. Oh, and spare needles! You should start a new needle for every new project. I don't do this every time but you'll want some spares. The other thing I would not be without is a marker pen which washes out or fades, there are various on the market.

Ten different sewing machine feet, most of which you will never use, a stash of fabricand various other accoutrements can be added later! If you are planning to make your own clothes, then you could make some pattern weights. I find tins of beans, sardines et cetera are perfect for the job so I've never bothered.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If you're going to be making clothes I'd suggest a cutting out board rather than ruining your dining room table!

Also look out for magazines with patterns as they'll work out far cheaper than buying individual patterns, even if you don't want to read the magazine although you can pick up some tips from some of them. I wouldn't bother with any subscriptions though as you won't want all the patterns that come with them.

Let us all know how you get on.

Denise
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    So I now have a sewing machine! It’s a Janome XC 33 Special Edition and does far more than I’m ever likely to need. I think it’s a bargain and I’m glad I didn’t spend much to start. I hope to start trying some basic sewing tomorrow, thanks for all your support and advice.

I’ve bought good scissors, tailor’s chalk and pins, is there any more equipment I need to start?

Congratulations! Enjoy your new toy.

May I second the advice re a seam-ripper - my mum always called hers the "quick-un-pick" - and a cutting mat. Your back and knees will get sore if you cut things out on the floor and you don't want to ruin your dining table.

Also, consider the ergonomics of where you will be sewing and the chair you will use. The wrong height of table and the wrong chair can give you terrible backache/neck-ache. Do you remember the old days when typewriters were the norm in offices and the typewriter was always set on a shelf lower than the main desk top? One of those desks would be perfect.

(FWIW I have fantasy daydreams where we've done a loft conversion with one side of the loft becoming a sewing room for me, complete with cutting out table.)

For anyone contemplating buying a basic new sewing machine, Lidl will be selling Singer's 2282 Tradition model for £79.99 from Sunday. (I think Lidl have a deal with Singer, since they regularly sell their sewing machines and overlockers.)

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    PJ - You beat me to it!! I just logged on to let everyone know about the Lidl sewing machine! They've also got overlocker thread if anyone needs any.

Joedenise - I'd also recommend getting extra bobbins - that way you can have one of each prewound with the colours you use most and a few spares
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Has anyone ever used the Lidl overlocker thread? Is it any good? I was thinking of stocking up on white, black and grey.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    I've used it, and it seems fine. I bought some last time they had it on offer, and I've since found that if you go in a week or so later there is often some in the reduced section. Worth stocking up on, because as you will know over lockers use a lot of thread.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Where is everbody??

I'm assuming summer and holidays mean posters have other things taking priority ;)

Justin - Lidl are having another sewing selection on early October and there's overlocker thread among other things if anyone is interested. I dont have an overlocker but I think I'll stock up on the basic colours for future use on my machine ;)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have overlockers but I don't need thread. I know they use a lot but I don't think I will ever get through what I have, even sewing for a living!

I'm here Silva! I've had a quiet September workwise, but people are starting to bring their alterations again now. I had a few days at my friend's in Mallorca. She now has 6 new sleeveless blouses that I have made for her. I got 2 made apart from buttons before I went and then I got the other four started. My machine out there will only do straight stitch at the moment so I got the button bands and buttonholes before I went and then completed them while I was there and she was at work.
    I have managed to do some non work sewing. Made a vest top and a maxi for myself and started on a coat for ds. Made hub a bow tie this week for an event at the weekend.

Bought fabric for a jacket for me for my son's wedding next year. V expensive but v gorgeous!
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport