The sewing thread

edited 9 December 2016 at 11:17PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.2K replies 130.4K views

Replies

• joedenisejoedenise Forumite
    9.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Finally got round to starting my trousers after all this time! They are now in one piece and am very pleased with the way the zip has gone in - it was a different way of inserting it to what I've ever done before and looks much better than my usual attempts!

Just the waistband to do and then turning up and stitching the hem.
  • purpleivypurpleivy Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am husband free till Sunday evening. I have 3 wedding dresses and 5 bridesmaids to sort out for work, after that I plan a mega cutting out session.
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    9.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    That sounds a big job purpleivy!
  • purpleivypurpleivy Forumite
    3.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    joedenise wrote: »
    That sounds a big job purpleivy!

The 5 maids are for one wedding. they're really cheap and nasty dresses from As*s. All a bit too small for them and all with uneven hems, too short at the back. All gap at the back. Silk purse sow's ear and all that!

The 3 wedding items for a local pair that design and make bridal wear. These are samples.

Cutting out? Top for me, PJs for son and fiancee, coat for son, 3-4 sleeveless blouses for friend who lives abroad.

I find it easier to cut stuff out in batches, table is clear, mats on the table, tools all out.
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
  • silvasavasilvasava Forumite
    4.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lovely to 'see' you Purpleivy. My mending/alteration pile is growing but DH has small project going on the dining room table at the moment so no room for me to use my machine. Mind you,I've plenty of other things that need my attention at the moment ;)
    Joedenise - is it an invisible zip you've put in or an ordinary one?
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Laura_ElsewhereLaura_Elsewhere Forumite
    840 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I haven't finished making anything new since my green linen skirt in August, but this thread popping back up has inspired me to go and heave my big old 1902 Singer treadle round to a better position so that I can more easily go and sew!

Also, it is no longer backing conveniently onto my chap's desk area.. I kept finding my treadle table covered in all his odds and bits of electronic trickery and tiny screwdrivers and bits of tape stuck on and so on :) No more, no more... mwahaha!

I have a pair of very very wide-legged culottes - I dunno what you'd call them. They are trousers at the top but each leg is incredibly flared, like a couple of near-circular skirts, so they look entirely like a skirt but I don't need to wear shortened-leggings underneath to stop my thighs chafing!
    Those are hanging up, awaiting finishing off. I am not happy with how the button fly has gone in, a tiny puckering at the bottom of the opening but really who is going to be staring at my crotch - really?
    "Done" is better than "perfect" as they say!
    They need the lining tacked in, then the waistband whipped down, then the buttons sewn on the fly, the back-waist finished off, and finally the hems done - all by hand, so the sewing machine's new place will make no real difference! :)
    2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 74.5 coupons left out of 74.5
    (66+8.5 from last year)

2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
    9.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    silvasava wrote: »
    Lovely to 'see' you Purpleivy. My mending/alteration pile is growing but DH has small project going on the dining room table at the moment so no room for me to use my machine. Mind you,I've plenty of other things that need my attention at the moment ;)
    Joedenise - is it an invisible zip you've put in or an ordinary one?

It's an ordinary nylon one. It's fitted like a narrow fly but it's on the back seam, hope that makes sense!
  • WraithladyWraithlady Forumite
    219 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Well, I've just finished a pair of short culottes and a skirt for the holiday. Glad I got those finished. If I feel enthusiastic, might make a phone case but as we're flying on Thursday, it may well not happen
  • D&DDD&DD Forumite
    4.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I finally have a sewing space yay so I'm dead keen to start working my way through all the piles of repairs,alterations and general heaps that have accumulated in the past year or so when I haven't been able to sew..I'm raring to go lol Makes a change from my beloved machines being used as tables (OH I'm looking at you!)

Purple best of luck with that little lot!! Treat yourself to a bit of me stuff in between and hopefully it won't be such a nightmare for you. I always find people want miracles when they can't sew they don't understand how things work and it can be frustrating trying to explain why..

Now people know I'm upright again the doorknocks have started but I can still use the excuse I can't sit at my machines yet *Phew* :)
  • I struggled with cutting out on a small surface until I was given the idea of getting a large sheet of hardboard to lay on the smallish dining table to increase the working area. A layer of cheap felt or other suitable material stuck on the rough side protects the table. The fabric covered site is also useful if you are working with something slippery which you want to keep in place.