edited 9 December 2016 at 11:17PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.2K replies 130.1K views
1109110111112113115»

Replies

• Laura_ElsewhereLaura_Elsewhere Forumite
    811 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Having bought the fabric about 4 years ago and cut out the main pieces a good 18 months to two years ago, today I finally started sewing my new dressing gown! A really over-the-top opulent number in pale shell-pink, in very very heavy satin... a big soft shawl collar, the fronts crossing right over so it's decent and warm, long sleeves tapering to just above the wrist, and the long flaring skirts shimmering round my ankles... think Kathryn Hepburn, only fatter :)
    2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 74.5 coupons left out of 74.5
    (66+8.5 from last year)

2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • Sounds gorgeous - I remember you writing about this. Well done for getting started with it...…..

I'd be wanting another one in a different colour, for when it's in the wash!
  • Laura_ElsewhereLaura_Elsewhere Forumite
    811 posts
    ✭✭✭
    Well, if I spot 60-inch very heavy satin for a quid a metre in another colour, I'll get another five metres of it...! :)
    (66+8.5 from last year)

• I bet you will - I suspect it uses a lot of fabric, too. Will all be worth it when you are gliding about in it!!!
  • -taff-taff Forumite
    11.9K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been watching a lot of channel 4 stuff with the adverts for blinds...that dressing gown in gold/orange is beautiful and I have been wanting to make one of those, just looks so comfortable and opulent at the same time...Now to find the fabric reduced or free somewhere... :)
  • edited 12 January at 4:43PM
    SeakaySeakay Forumite
    4.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 12 January at 4:43PM
    I just wanted to let people know about a knitting and sewing opportunity which can help orphaned and injured animals in Australia - there's a lot more at the moment thanks to the months of fires that they've been suffering.

Please note that synthetic yarns and fabrics cannot be used

Pouches-for orphaned joeys

When juvenile kangaroos or wallabies come into care they need to be kept warm and quiet. WIRES carers are always in need of suitable pouches. The pouches are used for many different animals, at many stages of their development. Some are required for the tiny furless joeys and some for the larger joeys. This means various sized pouches are always useful. Many people, who would like to help our wildlife but are unable to commit to animal rescue or care, can help by making pouches and/or linings.

Pouches

Wool: 8 ply pure wool (we are unable to use pouches made from synthetic materials)

Knitting: Pouches should be knitted in plain (garter) stitch both sides

Needles: Size 8 needles (old UK size) or 4mm metric UK size needles

Dimensions: Two separate rectangles either: 40cm wide x 60cm long OR
    50cm wide x 70cm long

Sew together on the two longer sides and at one end, and leave open along one of the shorter ends.

Alternatively, knit one long piece 40 cm wide by 120 cm long and fold, sew the two long sides, leaving the top open. This then makes a finished pouch 40 cm wide by 60 cm

Lining

Material: Pure cotton or flannelette, washable material only

Dimensions: Two separate rectangles either 40cm wide x 60cm long OR
    50cm wide x 70cm long

The lining should not be attached to the pouch as it will need to be changed regularly. We generally require many more linings than pouches to allow washing and regular changes. The lining should be closed on three sides and open at the top.

Other Sized Pouches
    Other sized pouches are also gratefully received. Crocheted pouches are also accepted, however a tight crochet stitch is preferred for warmth.

There is no one perfect size, these dimensions provide a guide. Finished pouches can be posted to:

WIRES
    PO Box 7276
    Warringah Mall NSW 2100
    Australia

Please include your email address when you send pouches or liners to us so that we can thank you, send photo's of pouches in use and emails when we have other knitting/sewing projects that you may be able to help with.
    https://www.wires.org.au/wildlife-info/wildlife-factsheets/making-macropod-pouches
  • SeakaySeakay Forumite
    4.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Postage varies a lot - the cheapest way is to select the slowest. My sister and b-i-l send their Christmas presents to Oz and they used surface mail which is cheaper but can take up to 3 months. Air mail isn’t usually too expensive for light items depending on weight and thickness (which determines whether it can be sent as large letter or small parcel).

https://www.royalmail.com/price-finder

WIRES were needing koala mittens (for burnt paws) too but I think they’ve enough of those now
  • PipneyJanePipneyJane Forumite
    2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seakay wrote: »
    I just wanted to let people know about a knitting and sewing opportunity which can help orphaned and injured animals in Australia - there's a lot more at the moment thanks to the months of fires that they've been suffering.

Please note that synthetic yarns and fabrics cannot be used

Pouches-for orphaned joeys

When juvenile kangaroos or wallabies come into care they need to be kept warm and quiet. WIRES carers are always in need of suitable pouches. The pouches are used for many different animals, at many stages of their development. Some are required for the tiny furless joeys and some for the larger joeys. This means various sized pouches are always useful. Many people, who would like to help our wildlife but are unable to commit to animal rescue or care, can help by making pouches and/or linings.

Pouches

Wool: 8 ply pure wool (we are unable to use pouches made from synthetic materials)

Knitting: Pouches should be knitted in plain (garter) stitch both sides

Needles: Size 8 needles (old UK size) or 4mm metric UK size needles

Dimensions: Two separate rectangles either: 40cm wide x 60cm long OR
    50cm wide x 70cm long

Sew together on the two longer sides and at one end, and leave open along one of the shorter ends.

Alternatively, knit one long piece 40 cm wide by 120 cm long and fold, sew the two long sides, leaving the top open. This then makes a finished pouch 40 cm wide by 60 cm

Lining

Material: Pure cotton or flannelette, washable material only

Dimensions: Two separate rectangles either 40cm wide x 60cm long OR
    50cm wide x 70cm long

The lining should not be attached to the pouch as it will need to be changed regularly. We generally require many more linings than pouches to allow washing and regular changes. The lining should be closed on three sides and open at the top.

Other Sized Pouches
    Other sized pouches are also gratefully received. Crocheted pouches are also accepted, however a tight crochet stitch is preferred for warmth.

There is no one perfect size, these dimensions provide a guide. Finished pouches can be posted to:

WIRES
    PO Box 7276
    Warringah Mall NSW 2100
    Australia

Please include your email address when you send pouches or liners to us so that we can thank you, send photo's of pouches in use and emails when we have other knitting/sewing projects that you may be able to help with.
    https://www.wires.org.au/wildlife-info/wildlife-factsheets/making-macropod-pouches

Thank you for researching this.

- Pip (Aussie)
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' " o:)

2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 33/66 coupons spent
  • huggermuggerhuggermugger Forumite
    247 posts
    Dear all - hope this is the right place to ask. I used to do a fair bit of sewing, cross-stitch/soft furnishing but have really struggled in the last few years as my eyesight has deteriorated. Nothing serious, just anno domini... I am considering buying a lamp which I hope would help. Any thought/recommendations? I have used an anglepoise in the past but it's just not enough any more. I am shortsighted but now a bit longsighted as well. I struggle with colour differentiation in particular but also threading needles etc. and generally feel my eyes are under strain, if that makes sense. I was given some money for Christmas but can't decide what to do with it - was looking at these https://www.craftlights.co.uk/acatalog/CLEARANCE_AND_END_OF_LINE_SPECIAL_OFFERS.html but tbh, have v little idea what I am looking at...
  • edited 27 January at 10:12AM
    Laura_ElsewhereLaura_Elsewhere Forumite
    811 posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 27 January at 10:12AM
    Dear all - hope this is the right place to ask. I used to do a fair bit of sewing, cross-stitch/soft furnishing but have really struggled in the last few years as my eyesight has deteriorated. Nothing serious, just anno domini... I am considering buying a lamp which I hope would help. Any thought/recommendations? I have used an anglepoise in the past but it's just not enough any more. I am shortsighted but now a bit longsighted as well. I struggle with colour differentiation in particular but also threading needles etc. and generally feel my eyes are under strain, if that makes sense. I was given some money for Christmas but can't decide what to do with it - was looking at these https://www.craftlights.co.uk/acatalog/CLEARANCE_AND_END_OF_LINE_SPECIAL_OFFERS.html but tbh, have v little idea what I am looking at...

Hi huggermugger!

I'm in a similar boat, with a couple of competing eye conditions making everything more difficult - tbh I find any decent bright light helps - Ikea do brillian (literally!) small lamps for a tenner, one with a heavy base that really doesn't tip over and one with a big clip to clip onto bookshelf or whatever, both really good intense bright light.

BUT actually the thing that made the biggest difference is called Beam'n'Read and is available online for 30-40 quid and I would heartily recommend it. I found using it felt like looking through a really good magnifying glass, everything so visible and clear and crisp once again.
    It's a light with 6 LEDs, with an option to use only 3 if you prefer, and also amber and red filters to clip over for using eg at night when partner is asleep beside you - and it's on a good elastic neck-strap and sits on your chest, all completely adjustable. It runs on batteries which seem to last forever, just normal ones, can't recall if AA or AAA but very easily available.

It's made my life a LOT easier and has the added advantage of being portable too! Oh, and also really good for reading if that is becoming tricky too...

Edit to add: the Ikea one is Navlinge, now 15 quid for table one, 12 quid for clip one https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/naevlinge-led-work-lamp-white-90404921/

And the Beam'n'Read I think you'd have to buy form the USA, so check any shipping costs and taxes carefully first! But oh, how it is worth having... https://www.amazon.com/Beam-Read-LED-Hands-Free-Relaxation/dp/B00UE22N7M/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=beam%27n%27read&qid=1580116264&sr=8-1
    (66+8.5 from last year)