Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

The sewing thread - Page 118

New Post Advanced Search
We are currently experiencing a high volume of spam and have increased the sensitivity of our spam filters. This could mean that genuine posts may get caught. If you believe this has happened to one of your posts, please email the Forum team on [email protected] As always, we are really grateful for your patience whilst we get this sorted - which we'll do as soon as possible.
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

The sewing thread

edited 9 December 2016 at 11:17PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.2K replies 132.4K views
1112113114115116118»

Replies

• PipneyJanePipneyJane Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    silvasava said:
    Bum and double Bum!  My old flat bed machine that I had repaired and serviced last year is awful! The bobin winder doesnt stop the foot moving up and down which it should. The reverse button is out of alignment and sticks, the machine has a 4 step buttonhole programme and I can only get the dial to move to the first position. It sounds lumpy and the zig zag is missing a stitch every now and then. I took it to a local guy who did tell me my machine was very old and he could do me a deal on a new Janome but its a heavy duty machine thats all metal (weighs a ton) and has always run beautifully even though its over 40 years old. Gonna ring another company that repair and have a good reputation.  Not my week for machines :(

I am not sure where you are based, but if you’re anywhere near west London, I can recommend the people who serviced my machine.  They are in Southall.  PM me if you want their details.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 40/66 coupons spent. 26 remain.
  • silvasavasilvasava Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Pipney - a bit too far away for me in southern Hampshire! I phoned a local shop that has a good reputation and had a lovely chat with the engineer and DH & I took both machines in to him today. He's got quite a lot of work on so it will be 5/6 weeks before I get one back but needs must! I only had mending and alterations anyway ;)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • silvasavasilvasava Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Miro - thats how I feel about my machines! My old Singer was given to my Mum when DH bought me the Husquvarna. It was then passed to my Godmother after my Mum died and then it came back to me when GM's sight deteriorated. They were both excellent needlewomen and looked after it so I know its never been abused. The place I took it to seemed to know exactly what was needed so I've more confidence in his skills. Gonna have to wait a while though as he's been inundated due to covid!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle