PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The sewing thread

Options
1113114115116117119»

Comments

• joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd never even heard of a coverlocker and had to look it up!  Are you planning on getting a combined machine as the bit I looked up says that overlock and coverlock machines are different but that you can buy combined machine but they are more expensive?  I don't think I'd make enough use of a machine like that so happy enough with my sewing machine and overlocker - not that either have had much use lately, apart from making masks last year!

• purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have a combined machine and I have stand alone coverstitch and overlocker. The stand alone machines are much more useful. I got the combo as a back up for my business, but tbh I hardly ever touch it.  It's a PITA to change the set up for other function.  

I got my coverstitch for personal sewing, as I make a lot of jersey tops for myself.  Then I started to run an alterations business so it's really useful for that too.  I can't imagine life without it!
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • RosyRed
    RosyRed Posts: 3,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My overlocker is temperamental & I dread changing threads  as it always seems to go wrong.I've not used it for ages and ages  plus it's on top of the wardrobe and it hardly seems worth the effort of getting it down for the bits I do. Worsening eye sight doesn't help either :o
    Thriftwizard, a new imminent grandchild , how lovely. I used to make bits and pieces for my 2 DGC when they were smaller, but they're growing so fast at the moment :D
    :heartsmil 'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Laura_Elsewhere Posts: 2,410 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I've just finished making this camisole, white linen with pale yellow cotton filet-lace crochet yoke. It's a 1919 pattern but still working fine 102 years later! I haven't got the strap-length quite adjusted yet so it's pulling slightly but the straps are adjustable so I'll get them settled soon :) 

2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Wow - that is beautiful!  I like to think my grandmother might have made and worn something like that in 1919. 
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • purpleivy
    Options
    Hi folks! How are you all getting on with your projects?  

[SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Ooh it’s gone quiet on here!  Due to house move, not much has happened but I’m just trying to clear the room that is going to be my sewing room so I  can get it set up. I’m debating treating myself to a Horn sewing cabinet, a big expense - anybody got one, and would you recommend one?  
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • purpleivy
    Options
    Ooh it’s gone quiet on here!  Due to house move, not much has happened but I’m just trying to clear the room that is going to be my sewing room so I  can get it set up. I’m debating treating myself to a Horn sewing cabinet, a big expense - anybody got one, and would you recommend one?  
    I think they can be cumbersome, I expect it depends on what space you have to fill, how much time you spend sewing, whether you need to pack away for the place to look decent and what other storage space you have. 

I had a knitting machine cabinet given, thinking it would help I got it all set up but it's just so huge!  

I have a dedicated work room at home as sewing is how I make money. Just checked the prices, you could buy a whole lot of sewing kit and regular storage for that money.  I always find with dedicated storage things that what I have doesn't fit in the holes given.I've never been tempted, even before I started to sew for money. 
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    That’s what I’m wondering, the whole point of having a room for sewing is that I won’t have to put the machine away every time I finish with it. At the moment I use my dining table and so (although I live alone and can please myself) I can’t leave it up all the time. I would also want to use the room for paper crafts, so a big desk might be more useful. 

I do like the fact that you can have flatbed or free arm options and if I wanted a dual purpose room then it would be nice to be able to tuck everything away.  I can tell from looking at them however that my collection of sewing paraphernalia would not fit in those little bins!
  • purpleivy
    Options
    I don't ever use a free arm since I got my machine(s) that are flat bed.   I kept my free arm one for a bit and being too lazy to get it out, worked out that it's quite possible not to need the free arm at all, just thinking how to do it without. After all, machinists all use flatbed! 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport