On-grid domestic battery storage

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Green & Ethical MoneySaving
1.8K replies 199.2K views

Replies

• SterlingtimesSterlingtimes Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    My metered export per annum is 676 kWh (about 20% of PVGIS).

If I retain this electricity through the use of batteries then I save 676 * 0.1175 = £79.43 less earnings from export 676 * .0503 = £34.00. Net savings from batteries is £45.43 per annum. In 10 years, I would save £454.30. But a ten-year system costs £5,000.

Have miscalculated?
    Solar installed 21 November 2014 > Centre of England > 3,780 Wp > 14 *270 Watt Trina panels > 14 * Enphase micro-inverters > managed by Enlighten Envoy Hub > 19° west of south > 35° pitch > tree shading to east > iBoost > Wattson Anywhere monitoring > Schneider Electric (Drayton) MiGenie smart thermostat.
  • Martyn1981Martyn1981 Forumite
    10.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If I retain this electricity through the use of batteries then I save 676 * 0.1175 = £79.43 less earnings from export 676 * .0503 = £34.00. Net savings from batteries is £45.43 per annum. In 10 years, I would save £454.30. But a ten-year system costs £5,000.

Have miscalculated?

No I think you've got that right. So you might not want to bother, or need to wait for a small battery system to fall a long way in price.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • SterlingtimesSterlingtimes Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    No I think you've got that right. So you might not want to bother, or need to wait for a small battery system to fall a long way in price.

Thank you, Martyn.

I suppose there is a possibility of bringing Economy 7 into the equation and then charging at night and consuming during the day.
    Solar installed 21 November 2014 > Centre of England > 3,780 Wp > 14 *270 Watt Trina panels > 14 * Enphase micro-inverters > managed by Enlighten Envoy Hub > 19° west of south > 35° pitch > tree shading to east > iBoost > Wattson Anywhere monitoring > Schneider Electric (Drayton) MiGenie smart thermostat.
  • zeupaterzeupater Forumite
    5.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭

Have miscalculated?
    Hi

Agree with Mart ... with your obviously high daytime use there's not much to squirrel away for later use & most of that would be in the summer anyway ...

For most it doesn't really start to make any sense unless costs fall to somewhere around £100/kWh of storage (fully installed) ... unfortunately the lowest cost units in the UK are currently around 4x to 5x this figure and that's for larger capacity systems so there's a long way to go yet!

Don't get too discouraged though ... looking at the automotive sector there are options to buy vehicles with either leased or purchased battery packs ... applying the cost difference directly to the battery capacity gives a rough indication of the margins that are being sought by the domestic storage suppliers ... 'make hay' seems to be the motto in that sector at the moment so it really does need the government to encourage product consumerisation as opposed to allowing big business to control the storage sector ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
    10.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some news just regarding the market and the direction it will probably go in. This is one of the items in the week's Carbon Commentary newsletter from Chris Goodall:
    In twenty years’ time, this will be the pattern worldwide: batteries will be provided by utilities or third parties who will offer ways the residential customer can save money but will retain final control over whether the battery is charging or discharging at any particular moment.

Seems he had a point:

Solar and batteries to deliver first UK virtual power plant powered by residential assets
    The distribution network operator (DNO) has agreed a bi-directional contract with Powervault, which will install 40 8kWh batteries in the London Borough of Barnet to aggregate 320kWh of energy storage capacity and deliver localised flexibilities.

The batteries will charge from solar panels installed on the homes, as well as being topped up by off-peak electricity from the grid, to create London’s first virtual power station via Powervault’s aggregation and control platform.

UKPN will offer an availability payment for a two hour period within the evening peak (5:30-7:30pm) during which time they will be able to call on the combined capacity of the solar-charged batteries to discharge in unison to relieve pressure on the electricity network. Residents would then benefit from utilisation payments between December 2018 and February 2019.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • djmattcdjmattc Forumite
    14 posts
    No new information from me, but just asking some advice on this.
    Reading through this thread (which is very interesting) I came across the iSolar solution. It seems like a great idea. However, I don't have water storage and therefore no immersion heater. My combi-boiler does need replacing. Obviously this provides hot water and heating with gas. Is there a solution where I can get my combi boiler replaced with a new system which does the same thing but additionally stores water and has an immersion heater so I can take advantage of iSolar?
    3.5kWp 12-panel PV system, south facing.
    10.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This article probably should be on the Green energy news thread, but I thought it worth mentioning on here, as yet another source of demand for batteries, which will eventually (I'm boring myself with this never ending promise) lead to lower prices when supply catches up.

So, you have a business with loads of leccy consumption, and variable leccy rates, so ....... you add some batts, seems fair.

Irvine Ranch Water District Adds Tesla Powerpacks, Estimates Annual Savings of $500,000
    The Irvine Water District and Michelson Capital announced the completion of the nation’s largest behind-the-meter energy storage project at the Irvine Ranch Water District’s (IRWD) Michelson Water Recycling Plant. The new 2.5MW/15MWh installation is a part of a distributed network of 11 energy storage installations at the water district’s recycling and pumping facilities that together total 7MW/34MWh.

• CoastalwatchCoastalwatch Forumite
    1.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    This article probably should be on the Green energy news thread, but I thought it worth mentioning on here, as yet another source of demand for batteries, which will eventually (I'm boring myself with this never ending promise) lead to lower prices when supply catches up.

So, you have a business with loads of leccy consumption, and variable leccy rates, so ....... you add some batts, seems fair.

Irvine Ranch Water District Adds Tesla Powerpacks, Estimates Annual Savings of $500,000

Thanks for that Martyn. I'm not holding my breath either, but one day cost effective home storage must surely come along. Another article on that link was about John Goodenough and a Solid state L'ion battery being worked upon which may also be of interest!

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/06/26/the-solid-state-lithium-ion-battery-has-john-goodenough-finally-done-it/
    East coast, lat 51.97. 8.26kw SSE, 23° pitch + 0.59kw WSW vertical. Nissan Leaf plus one dirty diesel. Still waiting for V2H and home storage to become available at sensible cost.
  • CoastalwatchCoastalwatch Forumite
    1.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing new or groundbreaking but home storage and it's current cost has made it on to the BBC news website!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44540726

Can't do any harm, can it?
    East coast, lat 51.97. 8.26kw SSE, 23° pitch + 0.59kw WSW vertical. Nissan Leaf plus one dirty diesel. Still waiting for V2H and home storage to become available at sensible cost.
    10.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing new or groundbreaking but home storage and it's current cost has made it on to the BBC news website!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44540726

Can't do any harm, can it?
    "But we expect that battery costs could fall by 50% by 2025. If this happens, battery installations will grow significantly, boosting renewable energy penetration further and reducing the role for fossil fuel generation."

Patience Mart, patience. :drool:

Nice that they mention selling leccy. That might be the way to make the costs add up if we can sell our kWh's at peak demand prices. It's working well in Australia, but then their annual peak demands are in the summer (January(ish)), when batts will be full of PV leccy, but we shall see.