On-grid domestic battery storage

Options

Comments

• JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,818 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    1961Nick wrote: »
    Is this scheme V2G as well as V2H? If so, I can understand the loss of deemed export.

The V2H charger and the OVO V2G trial are two completely separate discussions taking place concurrently on the same thread, hence the confusion.
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • orrery
    orrery Posts: 804 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    EVandPV wrote: »
    The 2 year trial is V2G with the possibility of allowing you to use the charger for V2H thereafter but nothing confirmed yet.

Isn't this Chademo only? If so, you'd probably have to replace it with a CCS charger instead if you change your car as I can't see many future EVs having a Chademo connector.
    4kWp, Panels: 16 Hyundai HIS250MG, Inverter: SMA Sunny Boy 4000TLLocation: Bedford, Roof: South East facing, 20 degree pitch20kWh Pylontech US5000 batteries, Lux AC inverter,Skoda Enyaq iV80, TADO Central Heating control
  • EVandPV
    EVandPV Posts: 2,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    orrery wrote: »
    Isn't this Chademo only? If so, you'd probably have to replace it with a CCS charger instead if you change your car as I can't see many future EVs having a Chademo connector.

Yes, currently chademo only although it was mentioned that they're looking into a ccs option.
    Apparently, ccs is less efficient with V2G/V2H.
    Scott in Fife, 2.9kwp pv SSW facing, 2.7kw Fronius inverter installed Jan 2012 - 14.3kwh Seplos Mason battery storage with Lux ac controller - Renault Zoe 40kwh, Corsa-e 50kwh, Zappi EV charger and Octopus Go
  • orrery
    Options
    EVandPV wrote: »
    Apparently, ccs is less efficient with V2G/V2H.

Mmm. Not if your car only has a CCS connector, as most will have in the future ;-)

I have a Leaf with Chademo, but one of the factors in deciding not to take part is that I don't want to be left with a Chademo charger, even if it is free, when I know the next car I have will almost certainly be CCS.
    4kWp, Panels: 16 Hyundai HIS250MG, Inverter: SMA Sunny Boy 4000TLLocation: Bedford, Roof: South East facing, 20 degree pitch20kWh Pylontech US5000 batteries, Lux AC inverter,Skoda Enyaq iV80, TADO Central Heating control
  • ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    Options
    Been looking again to see if there are any V2H inverter/chargers available now. Found this Quaser DC Charger, by Wallbox. Have asked for a quote.

Been a few days now and have not heard back from them after making an enquiry :(

Has anyone else had any feedback from them?
  • JKenH
    edited 15 November 2019 at 7:35AM
    Options
    I haven’t contacted them yet but it looks as if they are only at preorder stage with a cost of £1200.

Looking at the spec i see it is only rated IP54 whereas a Tesla battery is IP67. Can anyone comment please whether IP54 is sufficient for outdoor mounting?

On the technical data sheet It says CCS or CHAdeMO but elsewhere just refers to CHAdeMO. The photos only show one cable so presumably it is either or. One would imagine other manufacturers will be bringing V2H chargers out now.
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • JKenH
    Options
    An interesting paper that suggests using V2G can reduce battery degradation.

http://wrap.warwick.ac.uk/88018/13/WRAP-possibility-extending-lifetime-lithium-ion-batteries-Marco-2017.pdf

In conclusion, we show that an EV con- nected to this smart-grid system can accommodate the demand of the power network with an increased share of clean renewable energy, but more profoundly that the smart grid is able to extend the life of the EV battery beyond the case in which there is no V2G.
  • joefizz
    joefizz Posts: 676 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    JKenH wrote: »
    Looking at the spec i see it is only rated IP54 whereas a Tesla battery is IP67. Can anyone comment please whether IP54 is sufficient for outdoor mounting?

Depends where its mounted ;-)
    67 is immersion in water and full dust sealing, 54 is some dust ingress and can be splashed with water and not hit with say a hose or the like.

My front porch outdoor socket is an old one IP54 (used to be on the back wall) so whilst it is outside it would rarely get direct rain and dust but would be liable to it.
    The socket on the outside of the garage is IP66 as it will get hit when power hosing (although dont recommend that, depends on install), raining etc etc.

If you have a porch or carport then IP54 would probably do, just dont stick it on a weather facing wall. Or just put some other enclosing/small roof over/around it.
  • GreatApe
    GreatApe Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    Options
    Instead of batteries it would make more sense to pay the government the same sum to be allowed to use the grid as a battery for a period of 25 years

So instead of paying £5k (or whatever it is) for a Tesla power wall pay HMRC £5k and it allows you to do net metering on a panel kit upto 6KWp. Government can use that £5k to deploy more offshore wind farms more rapidly

Perhaps upto a million existing homes will take this up = £5 billion for wind farms and no need to build and install a million wasteful pollution heavy slow battery kits

Could make all new build homes have to take up this option
    6KWp solar £5k + 6KWp virtual grid battery for £5k = £10k but most new builds would then have free electricity and heating for 25 years (but of course they'd be paying for this via their £10k higher mortgage)
  • orrery
    edited 29 November 2019 at 7:08PM
    Options
    GreatApe wrote: »
    Instead of batteries it would make more sense to pay the government the same sum to be allowed to use the grid as a battery for a period of 25 years.

It wouldn't do the same job. There are a good few benefits of grid connected batteries:
    - it smooths the supply, so the generators don't need to supply the peak, just the average
    - it delivers power to where you need it (distributed around the housing and small industrial estates) and prevents requiring grid connection upgrades where peak demand exceeds existing capacity
    - it protects the grid at times of outages (like the recent coincidental failure of the Little Barford station and the east coast lightening strike)

Moving to increased renewable generation requires steadily increasing facilities for short, medium and long term storage.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback