On-grid domestic battery storage

Options

Comments

• EVandPV
    EVandPV Posts: 2,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    1961Nick wrote: »
    It's ironic that you're like a kid at Christmas with a new toy & no batteries.:rotfl:

Or in this case, batteries with no toy. :D
    Scott in Fife, 2.9kwp pv SSW facing, 2.7kw Fronius inverter installed Jan 2012 - 14.3kwh Seplos Mason battery storage with Lux ac controller - Renault Zoe 40kwh, Corsa-e 50kwh, Zappi EV charger and Octopus Go
  • JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,859 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    You can already use the Leaf for V2G (via the OVO trial), and then afterwards as V2G, or 'worst case' V2H. :)

Thanks Mart. It was V2H I was interested in as an alternative to purchasing batteries rather than V2G but I hadn’t realised V2H was an option via OVO. Did I read somewhere that the tariff wasn’t that attractive? I was thinking of using it with the “Agile” tariff.

I was looking at 24kwh Leaf’s last night available under £6k with about 30k miles on them which would make a cheap home battery and no installation costs other than the the V2H charger. (I hope I understood that right). Presumably the charger would still attract a grant?

If I was prepared to insure it I could have some free local motoring as well. That would probably work for you as well. I would still have to keep the diesel Golf for long runs though.
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • EVandPV
    Options
    JKenH wrote: »
    Thanks Mart.
    I was looking at 24kwh Leaf’s last night available under £6k with about 30k miles on them which would make a cheap home battery and no installation costs other than the the V2H charger. (I hope I understood that right). Presumably the charger would still attract a grant?

Yes, provided you use an OLEV approved installer.
    Bare in mind that by the time you add the cost of the car, the charger and installation, your getting into Powerwall territory if you intend to only use it as home battery storage.
    Scott in Fife, 2.9kwp pv SSW facing, 2.7kw Fronius inverter installed Jan 2012 - 14.3kwh Seplos Mason battery storage with Lux ac controller - Renault Zoe 40kwh, Corsa-e 50kwh, Zappi EV charger and Octopus Go
  • 1961Nick
    1961Nick Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Options
    EVandPV wrote: »
    Yes, provided you use an OLEV approved installer.
    Bare in mind that by the time you add the cost of the car, the charger and installation, your getting into Powerwall territory if you intend to only use it as home battery storage.
    There's the OLEV grant towards the cost of a charger & you'd need a couple of powerwalls to match a 24 kWh leaf. The Leaf idea is certainly not a bad one & worth further investigation.
    4kWp (black/black) - Sofar Inverter - SSE(141°) - 30° pitch - North Lincs
    Installed June 2013 - PVGIS = 3400
    Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus & 3 x US2000C Batteries - 19.2kWh
  • EVandPV
    Options
    1961Nick wrote: »
    There's the OLEV grant towards the cost of a charger & you'd need a couple of powerwalls to match a 24 kWh leaf. The Leaf idea is certainly not a bad one & worth further investigation.
    Indeed. I guess it depends whether or not you would use 24kwh if you only need it for home storage. And if you would want a car sitting outside your house unused if your not intending to drive it.
    Great idea if your going to drive the Leaf and use it for v2h though !
  • Solarchaser
    Solarchaser Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    Options
    According to the info from the ovo trial, CCS does not lend itself to v2g /v2h particularly well, which is why they are using chademo.

The initial rates for the ovo trial were pretty poor, however they have very recently been revised, and in fact are pretty darn favourable in my opinion.
    25p on export for those with solar.

I'm now looking to get on the trial and am shelving my extra batteries and immersion diverter plan for a couple of years in favour of the v2g trial.

Apart from anything else, you get to buy the charger at the end for... 1p and all indications are that it can be set for v2h post trial.
    They also fit a normal charger foc (or polar membership) as well.
    West central Scotland
    4kw sse since 2014 and 6.6kw wsw / ene split since 2019
    24kwh leaf, 75Kwh Tesla and Lux 3600 with 60Kwh storage
  • Solarchaser
    Solarchaser Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    Options
    West central Scotland
    4kw sse since 2014 and 6.6kw wsw / ene split since 2019
    24kwh leaf, 75Kwh Tesla and Lux 3600 with 60Kwh storage
  • EVandPV
    edited 10 November 2019 at 5:22PM
    Options
    Strangely, the spec for the charger says it's only compatible with Nissan EV's with more than 30kwh.
    Although in the faq, it states you can take part in the trial if you have a 24kwh that's out of warranty.

Edit :

Actually, there's more to it than that with a 24kwh Leaf ......

"Just spoke to Sean at OVO, unfortunately they have deemed the 2011/12 leaf too old a chemistry and they wont be having those on their trial. which was the same answer as the very first time I tried to apply to this but the last time the web application hadn't filtered me out correctly. so if the leaf 24 need to be at least 5 years old but not 8 years old it is a very small band of leaf 24s to be on the trial."
  • Coastalwatch
    Options
    Hi Solarchaser and thanks for the heads up. I own a 40 kWh Leaf and would love to take part, however, because my system is over 4kWp they declined my application.:(
    East coast, lat 51.97. 8.26kw SSE, 23° pitch + 0.59kw WSW vertical. Nissan Leaf plus Zappi charger and 2 x ASHP's. Givenergy 8.2 & 9.5 kWh batts, 2 x 3 kW ac inverters. Indra V2H . CoCharger Host, Interest in Ripple Energy & Abundance.
  • JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,859 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Solarchaser and thanks for the heads up. I own a 40 kWh Leaf and would love to take part, however, because my system is over 4kWp they declined my application.:(

I know you’ve been looking for V2H for a while and wondered what your thoughts were on the Wallbox Quasar. Are there any implications for your warranty with V2H or V2G?
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback