Options

Comments

• JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,859 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    EVandPV wrote: »
    Interesting !
    Strange that they went with chademo though when ccs is becoming the dominant connection.

For those of us not up to speed on EV charging like me could you advise please whether this connection choice will limit the cars available to use as a home battery. I did have a look at a used Leaf which would make a big cheap battery and a local runabout. Could this be used? What others?

Thanks.
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    Options
    Interesting !
    Strange that they went with chademo though when ccs is becoming the dominant connection.

From what I have read, the ChaDemo standard is well defined and not subject to interpretation like the CCS standard. Although, there do appear to be some developments going on with CCS V2G/H.

However, all the trials, I can find details off, seem to be using ChaDemo, at present.
  • ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    Options
    JKenH wrote: »
    For those of us not up to speed on EV charging like me could you advise please whether this connection choice will limit the cars available to use as a home battery. I did have a look at a used Leaf which would make a big cheap battery and a local runabout. Could this be used? What others?

Thanks.

There are a number of existing EV's that use ChaDemo for DC Rapid charging, like the Leafs, EN vans, Outlander, & the Kia Soul that we have. There may be others.

Unfortunately, most new cars are going with CCS DC Rapid charging (and AC Type 2 Fast Charging). From posts on SpeakEV there appears to be a few problems with the interpretation of the CCS standard, which results in some cars not being able to charge on some DC rapid chargers.
  • EVandPV
    EVandPV Posts: 2,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Thanks.
    I'm fairly new to ev's myself but the Leaf does have Chademo and type 2 charging.
    Our Zoe, on the other hand, only has type 2. The new Zoe ZE50 has type 2 and ccs.
    Apart from Tesla and the Leaf, I'm not aware of too many other full ev's with chademo.
    Scott in Fife, 2.9kwp pv SSW facing, 2.7kw Fronius inverter installed Jan 2012 - 14.3kwh Seplos Mason battery storage with Lux ac controller - Renault Zoe 40kwh, Corsa-e 50kwh, Zappi EV charger and Octopus Go
  • EVandPV
    Options
    So I linked up the 2 batts as per the manual and on powering up the first batt, the second one also powered up and the SOC lights are now lit up.
    The first batt is at 49.2v and the second is 49.7v.
    The SOC lights on the first batt are flashing which I presume means it's charging from or balancing out against the second batt.
    Is this normal and ok to leave them until they balance ?

Really appreciate all the help and advice here by the way guys. 👍
    Found an answer to this here .... https://youtu.be/hTM-YMFiyns
    Scott in Fife, 2.9kwp pv SSW facing, 2.7kw Fronius inverter installed Jan 2012 - 14.3kwh Seplos Mason battery storage with Lux ac controller - Renault Zoe 40kwh, Corsa-e 50kwh, Zappi EV charger and Octopus Go
  • 1961Nick
    1961Nick Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Options
    So I linked up the 2 batts as per the manual and on powering up the first batt, the second one also powered up and the SOC lights are now lit up.
    The first batt is at 49.2v and the second is 49.7v.
    The SOC lights on the first batt are flashing which I presume means it's charging from or balancing out against the second batt.
    Is this normal and ok to leave them until they balance ?

Really appreciate all the help and advice here by the way guys. 👍
    If you leave them they will balance ... it's not strictly necessary as the BMS will do it for you once they're running.

You're not very patient are you?:rotfl:
    4kWp (black/black) - Sofar Inverter - SSE(141°) - 30° pitch - North Lincs
    Installed June 2013 - PVGIS = 3400
    Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus & 3 x US2000C Batteries - 19.2kWh
  • 1961Nick
    Options
    Found an answer to this here .... https://youtu.be/hTM-YMFiyns
    Apparently, the BMS fitted to the Pylontech plus batteries takes care of the balancing - the original pylontechs needed manual balancing.

On two occasions I've witnessed 4 of my batteries charging while one was discharging.
    Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus & 3 x US2000C Batteries - 19.2kWh
  • EVandPV
    edited 10 November 2019 at 2:46AM
    Options
    1961Nick wrote: »
    If you leave them they will balance ... it's not strictly necessary as the BMS will do it for you once they're running.

You're not very patient are you?:rotfl:
    Definitely not. Dying to get playing with the new toys. :D
    Bit frustrating having 4.8kwh batts sitting there while all the surplus pv heads out to the grid. Not that we've had a great deal of it this week mind.
    Seriously though, I just wanted to be sure they work ok as it'll be a few weeks yet before they get hooked up to the controller. Not sure how long you get to report faulty stuff on ebay these days ??
    That's them both settled at 49.5v.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Thanks.

You can already use the Leaf for V2G (via the OVO trial), and then afterwards as V2G, or 'worst case' V2H. :)
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • 1961Nick
    Options
    Definitely not. Dying to get playing with the new toys. :D
    Bit frustrating having 4.8kwh batts sitting there while all the surplus pv heads out to the grid. Not that we've had a great deal of it this week mind.
    Seriously though, I just wanted to be sure they work ok as it'll be a few weeks yet before they get hooked up to the controller. Not sure how long you get to report faulty stuff on ebay these days ??
    That's them both settled at 49.5v.
    It's ironic that you're like a kid at Christmas with a new toy & no batteries.:rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback