We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Long Relationship + short marriage - why?

Options
124»

Comments

• Woodster76
    Options
    It happened to me. I never wanted kids and never wanted to get married.
    Met someone, got a house together after 3 yrs I was happy. Lovely bloke, looked after me. But couldn't figure out what we had in common. Thought opposites attract.
    In the 8th yr of being together we Went on holiday he proposed within a couple of hrs of landing and I thought what do I say? No and ruin the holiday? Told myself it'll be a looooong engagement but before I knew it we were booking the venue and sending out invites.
    Tried to break up with him a few months before the wedding as I felt he was becoming too controlling. Said he would change. Everything was great but still had doubts but everyone loved him and probably nerves were setting in. I would be a fool not to marry him.
    I was staying at a hotel the night before the wedding and thought I could just disappear during the night. Again put it down to nerves. The wedding was brilliant the honeymoon was brilliant but I still had doubts. Fast forward a few months he started the controlling bit kept saying your my wife which grated on me and two weeks before our second anniversary I wanted a divorce - 12 yrs together. Sad and I should have gone with my gut feeling.
    My parents married after 3 months of knowing each other and they're still together 40+ years!
    16/10/2016 £9176.11 paid off 13/01/2017

£1.50/300

2017 - £25 PayPal - SB 2016 - £75 Paypal - SB
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business