PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Noisy neighbours from hell - Advice please

Options

Comments

• rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Could you try befriending the partner? If it's a bad situation for her (or him?), she could maybe do with somebody to talk to, but also if the guy thinks of you as his partner's friend he may be more considerate. I think a lot of people care more what you think if they know you. It might not work in him but it's worth a go!
  • itchyfeet123
    Options
    Can you talk to the partner, rather than the aggressive !!!!!!!!? S/he might find it empowering when he goes off to know that s/he's not alone in thinking he's out of line.

Aside from the noise issue, I would want to befriend the partner anyway. From what you describe, it's not exactly unlikely that the !!!!!!!! is also violent. If that's the case, knowing a neighbour might be useful to the partner in an emergency.
  • KMillie
    KMillie Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who has responded so far.

I have considered renting my house out but don't think I can make the figures work and I would just end up being the landlord and having to deal with complaints about nightmare neighbour. He was at his last property for four years and I know I cant deal with that for four years.

I think my plan of action is going to that I am going to have to go round at the weekend when I can have somone at the house with me in case he kicks off. After that the first instance of noise will be a phone call to landlord. I was told that he was okay by the person who sold the house to him, so I guess I will find out.

Neighbours other side will be suffering, as I know she is much more nervy than me and retired so at home more than me, Unfortunately I think they are all talk and no action, so it will be down to me to sort. Will call on them at the weekend though.

After that it will have to be the council but then I will probably struggle to sell.
  • Bonfire_Bride
    Options
    Do you have a friend that can accompany you to see the neighbour? While our house was on the market, a young couple moved in (I say young, I'm only 32) but good grief they could argue. My husband and I argue...as most couples do...but not to that extent or volume. I put up with it because our house was on the market and there was a "light at the end of the tunnel" but don't let it make you feel uncomfortable.

Approach them nicely and just mention that the walls are really thin.
  • Hedgehog99
    Hedgehog99 Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    Options
    Whatever you decide to do about who to contact, keep a diary of dates, times, duration & type of noise. This can be useful in proving that whoever you contact needs to take this seriously.

If you're not planning to move for a while, but are worried about having to disclose complaints, bear in mind that these two might be gone by then and you will genuinely have nothing to declare.
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,739 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would start by speaking to neighbours or the partner if that's less scary. They may not realise quite how loud they are and not have understood your banging on the walls. Escalating it straight away might make get backs up.

However if they still make noise after that, I'd get onto the Landlord. They can CHOOSE to evict (after end of any fixed term / notice period, through courts) if they get annoyed by too many complaints without necessarily needing the conclusive proof that council / police require. I'd get the other neighbour and anyone else affected to complain to the loud neighbour's LL so its clear its them and not you being sensitive.

Council etc will likely have a very long process, which will further impact your life in fulfilling their complaint requirements before they take action.
  • Danger_Mouse
    Options
    I'd be interested to see how you get on. I bought a new house in September, not actually living in it yet as doing work but already heard the neighbors arguing at least 6 times.

One argument was off the scale, you could hear them from half way down the road and a lad living across the road had to knock on and check if everyone was ok!

They also have a daughter around 13 years old so god knows how she is coping with it. She sounds the only sane person living in the house.

Very very annoying as all other neighbours are lovely
  • Smartsaver7
    Options
    If you don't want to go round could write a letter just politely asking them to keep the noise down
    I had a similar problem with one side as I was selling had to put up with it until I moved.
    You could make an anonymous call to police if it does kick off again so no record of a complaint by you, maybe one police visit may solve the problem.
    I agree keep a log of noise should it escalate
  • KMillie
    Options
    So since my last post. Argument continued until 11pm at which point I lost it completely, at the thought of another night without sleep. Banged on the wall, screamed at him to shut up and he did.....

Not a peep out of them until Friday when I must have slept through an argument and woke up at the end of it, couldn't get back to sleep for hours waiting for it to kick off.

Forward to last night argument started at 5.30pm, largely him calling her an alcoholic, before he trooped off to buy himself more bee!. When he came back she had locked him out, loud argument followed with him smashing window, and trying to kick in both doors. I called police 101 - no one came!
    They eventually piped down at 9.30pm. Took me till 2am to be calm enough to sleep!

This morning I went out to the shops when I came back he was clearing up the glass, I hadn't realised he was there and was unable to avoid him. Anyway he apologised for the noise last night. As he caught me on the hop I wasn't able to say all that I planned to say but did manage to say that I was sick of hearing the noise and whilst I appreciate all couples have arguments did they have to be quite so loud and to respect that the neighbours have to work, to which he apologised again.

I have managed to get photographic evidence of damage before he had chance to clear up so have that to send to the landlord if/when it starts again.

It will probably be quiet now for a week or two before the cycle starts again.
  • prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    why dont you get ear plugs till its solved
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate