PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Noisy neighbours from hell - Advice please

Options
KMillie
KMillie Posts: 10 Forumite
edited 7 November 2016 at 8:15PM in House buying, renting & selling
I have lived in my terraced house for 13 years and during that time all but 2 (mine included) have become rented. The two either side of me have been rented for approx. 8-9 years and during that time I have been really lucky.. until now.

My old neighbours moved out and her brother moved in and since then it has been hell. It started a week after he moved in when a domestic went on until after midnight. Since then this has happened approximately three times a week, with arguments lasting up to four hours, occasionally accompanied by music so loud my house shakes. Last nights argument lasted two hours and went on until after 2am, with me having to be up for work at 6am. :mad: (nightmare neighbours don't work). Last night I lost it and banged loudly on the walls telling them to shut the f*** up (not that it made any difference) and I can't keep doing that as I have lovely neighbours on the other side to consider.

Anyway today I have been able to track the landlords address and telephone number down. I want to report it to the landlord but I am worried that he wont do anything or will make the situation worse. I feel that I should go round and complain in the first instance but as a single woman I am too scared. The level of aggression he uses when shouting at his partner is something else and I never knew so many swear words existed.

So what would you do, go round or leave it for the landlord to deal with. The whole situation is making me ill, I have had to go on beta blockers and when I leave work the thought of going home to the house I once loved makes me cry. Moving is not an option I can afford at this time but something that I plan in a few years time.

Comments

• warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    How well did you know the old neighbours? Can you have a word with them if it's her Brother?
    Pants
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well, for a start-off, I would call the Police every time it kicks-off.

I would also involve the Council as they have the power to shut the house down for 3 months (that means that the tenants will not be able to enter the house for any reason whatsoever).

Also, keep on at the landlord. A 3-pronged attack will yield results if you give it a chance.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• KMillie
    KMillie Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Got on with his sister really well as a neighbour, largely because for the marjority of the time she lived 90 miles away and only styed at the house a few days a month! Don't have a forwarding address sadly.

I am trying to avoid going down the council route at this stage as I want to sell my house in a couple of years and will have to declare any neighbour disputes and from what I remember when my mother had similar problems years ago they wouldn't do anything unless they caught them in the act.

Unfortunately the arguments come in 15 minute bursts on and off for hours, so by the time the police arrived I imagine it will have gone quiet before the next burst. He is like a sulky child, I always know when an argument is brewing as he starts slamming the drawers and stomping round the house, not normal behaviour for a man in his mid 50s though alcohol seems to play a big factor in it.
  • marksoton
    marksoton Posts: 17,516 Forumite
    Options
    It's tea/cake/beer/wine time.

Engage with the neighbour. Going straight to the LL/council/ any third party is a bad idea IMO
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    KMillie wrote: »
    I have lived in my terraced house for 13 years and during that time all but 2 (mine included) have become rented. The two either side of me have been rented for approx. 8-9 years and during that time I have been really lucky.. until now.

My old neighbours moved out and her brother moved in and since then it has been hell. It started a week after he moved in when a domestic went on until after midnight. Since then this has happened approximately three times a week, with arguments lasting up to four hours, occasionally accompanied by music so loud my house shakes. Last nights argument lasted two hours and went on until after 2am, with me having to be up for work at 6am. :mad: (nightmare neighbours don't work). Last night I lost it and banged loudly on the walls telling them to shut the f*** up (not that it made any difference) and I can't keep doing that as I have lovely neighbours on the other side to consider.

Anyway today I have been able to track the landlords address and telephone number down. I want to report it to the landlord but I am worried that he wont do anything or will make the situation worse. I feel that I should go round and complain in the first instance but as a single woman I am too scared. The level of aggression he uses when shouting at his partner is something else and I never knew so many swear words existed.

So what would you do, go round or leave it for the landlord to deal with. The whole situation is making me ill, I have had to go on beta blockers and when I leave work the thought of going home to the house I once loved makes me cry. Moving is not an option I can afford at this time but something that I plan in a few years time.

Let the landlord deal with the problem. Do not get involved.
  • Bogalot
    Bogalot Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Options
    marksoton wrote: »
    It's tea/cake/beer/wine time.

Engage with the neighbour. Going straight to the LL/council/ any third party is a bad idea IMO

You're suggesting the OP goes round for a friendly chat with the man who is regularly drunk and aggressive. How do you think that will play out? :eek:
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    What an awful situation to be in, and it is not rare either, judging by many a thread here. You have to protect your own health and well being though, that is the number one priority.

Are the neighbours on the other side of the bad neighbours suffering aswell, and do you know them? There is safety in numbers. Could you contact them?

Then try the LL, keep at it. Then the police, keep at that one aswell. Is there a community type police force in your area? (sorry I am not in UK now).

Finally, for the sake of your health, if nothing worked, I would let out my house and rent another for a year or so, and hope the hellish neighbours will have moved on by then. Drastic, I know, but you do have that option as a last resort.

I hope it works out for you. There must be nothing worse than bad neighbours.
  • marksoton
    marksoton Posts: 17,516 Forumite
    Options
    Bogalot wrote: »
    You're suggesting the OP goes round for a friendly chat with the man who is regularly drunk and aggressive. How do you think that will play out? :eek:

I posted before that was divulged!

Cross posts.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,950 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have also seen people posting on other threads that Asbo neighbours are not the landlord's responsibility to police and you will have to try other channels such as the council if you aren't able to resolve things with the neighbour directly.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    For noise issues contact the council noise team.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure