Tesco Bank

Options

Comments

• Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,049 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm away from home with no access to cards or accounts.

Woke to find the first text, spent over an hour on hold with that bloomin tinny music without getting anywhere. I had to hang up as I'm attending a conference. Come lunchtime the second text arrived so I'm less concerned now.

My two current accounts are only used to stash money and the cards are in a drawer at home and never used. I was initially worried about my laptop being compromised so am glad that that's not the case.

I'll know tomorrow if anything is amiss.
  • sharjay99
    Options
    My card always asks for verified by visa and always makes me add letters from my password, I don't understand how they knew all card details and could bypass vbv
  • 6022tivo
    6022tivo Posts: 781 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have 2 accounts maxed out for the interest.

Both cards have NOT been activated (Never really saw the point).
    I have not been affected.

My guess is that the card production data (Track 2) or card database has been compromised.

Tesco Bank could be shut down if this is admitted or proved by the FCA,.
  • TheBanker
    TheBanker Posts: 1,865 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    sharjay99 wrote: »
    My card always asks for verified by visa and always makes me add letters from my password, I don't understand how they knew all card details and could bypass vbv

There are various scenarios, including overloading Tesco's VbV system in a denial of service attack.

I know some banks (but not sure if Tesco is one) have a third party who manages their VbV system.

Whatever, this was more sophisticated than some kid in Rio using the card numbers to order himself a new iPad.
  • TheBanker
    TheBanker Posts: 1,865 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    6022tivo wrote: »

My guess is that the card production data (Track 2) or card database has been compromised.

Tesco Bank could be shut down if this is admitted or proved by the FCA,.

Unlikely they will be shut down, but could be sanctioned.

However, as someone who works in this kind of area, I said to a colleague last week that it was only a matter of time before this happened to a UK bank, and the questions were "when" and "who".

Believe me all the other bank bosses will be sympathetic and will just be glad it wasn't them this time (although worried that they will be next).
  • ceredigion
    ceredigion Posts: 3,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Even MSE is subject to unwanted activity by the look of it.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,926 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just had a text. Already checked accounts a couple of times today and no problems. Am I worried - no.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,238 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    Just had a text. Already checked accounts a couple of times today and no problems. Am I worried - no.

I'm not 'worried' but as one of my accounts has been affected, I am mildly concerned.

I will shortly be out of UK with no access to secure internet for several weeks, so unable to monitor my accounts as I am currently doing. Its costing me enough, without someone helping themselves to my £6k while I'm away:(
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,780 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As someone who uses my Tesco accounts almost exclusively as savings accounts (one account does feed a regular savings account by SO) I won't be worrying myself overly. I haven't had a text/email so that's probably easy for me to say but, if you don't use Tesco as your main transactional (is that a word?) accounts then things will be put right in time.
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,780 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    badger09 wrote: »
    I'm not 'worried' but as one of my accounts has been affected, I am mildly concerned.

I will shortly be out of UK with no access to secure internet for several weeks, so unable to monitor my accounts as I am currently doing. Its costing me enough, without someone helping themselves to my £6k while I'm away:(

Will you need to use any of that 6k while you are away?

If so, you might want to transfer the funds you need to somewhere accessible. If not, there may be no benefit to moving it.

Again, easy for me to say as I don't appear to have bee affected.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure