We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Climbing the Mountain

Options

Comments

• MistyMountainTop
    Options
    Thanks PM02. I seem to have gotten even worse despite all the resting. I saw someone yesterday who said they had the lurgy well before Xmas and are just now getting over it. I'm praying it's not the same bug, I've been sitting here with my feet up making plans for the year and am itching to get on with it!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The lurgy has defo been much worse this year!

Rest up and hope it passes soon.

Dxxx
  • MistyMountainTop
    MistyMountainTop Posts: 682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 16 January 2018 at 8:27PM
    Options
    Thanks Dolly! I'm feeling much better now but still have a cough. I'm well enough anyway to start getting on with things, I could rest for another day but things are piling up and I'm tired of looking at it.

Today I'm hoping to get this lot done:

[STRIKE]Light exercise[/STRIKE] Done
    [STRIKE]2 loads laundry[/STRIKE]Done
    Update money spreadsheet
    [STRIKE]sort out healthy dinner[/STRIKE]Done
    [STRIKE]order more vitimins[/STRIKE]Done
    [STRIKE]change DD's sheets[/STRIKE]Done
    [STRIKE]read book! :)[/STRIKE]Done
    [STRIKE]quick tidy outside space[/STRIKE]Done
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,732 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Both DH and I have had the lurgy since New Year and the cough is the worst. Resting doesn’t seem to make it better like a normal cold strangely.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Sounds like a very productive day MMT.

Dxxx
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    I'll second that the cough lingers - I was lurgified over Christmas and New Year and the cough is still dangling about irritating me.

Excellent list ticking off going on there Misty - well done! You're full speed ahead this year aren't you! :T
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • MistyMountainTop
    edited 22 January 2018 at 3:23PM
    Options
    I sometimes think about the past, times when I didn't fully appreciate what I had or opportunities that I let slip away. I'm trying to figure out what I can do now to make sure that I don't look back on this time of my life and think "if only...." I have no idea where to start so if anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful!

Today I am planning on:
    [STRIKE]Updating Money Tracker[/STRIKE] Done
    Changing sheets/laundering them
    [STRIKE]sorting out healthy dinner[/STRIKE]Done
    [STRIKE]tidying up the mess in dining room[/STRIKE]Done
    [STRIKE]quick tidying up of outside space[/STRIKE]Done
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I think everyone does that tbh.

Dxxx
  • MistyMountainTop
    edited 23 January 2018 at 11:24AM
    Options
    There are times though Dolly when I could have done something and didn't because it felt like it was too much hassle. Looking back, having actually done it would have made a massive difference in my life. One thing in particular makes me cringe every time I think of it - there was an old farmhouse with some land for sale for less than our house at the time was worth. It needed some work but could have easily been my dream house, and in an area I loved. The seller was willing to wait until our house sold as they were friends of the family. I had young children at home at the time and decided moving house was just too much hassle. I knew at the time it was a bad decision and made it anyway. I know it's not like life would have been perfect with no problems there but I will always regret being too lazy to at least try. I tell myself that I am exactly where I am supposed to be but then I think about being in that cute farmhouse and how different life could have been... ;)

I guess all I can do is make sure that I do what I can now and don't let the lazy side of me get a word in edgewise...

I've found after my internet exile that I have slipped back a bit to my old ways without realising it so am making a conscious effort to stay away from the laptop unless there is something that needs doing, like banking or e£ay. Spending time on the house or with family will make a much bigger difference in my life than knowing the most up to the minute news.

I have discovered google calendar tasks - I use the calendar all the time so having a checklist of things to be done on the side of it is very helpful. I haven't yet figured out how to show the tasks on my google calendar phone app though, I hope I can find a way because it would be extremely useful. update - SUCCESS!!! if anyone else is having this problem, you can type in mail.google.com/tasks on your phone and make a shortcut on the home screen. My list shows up! It's separate to the calendar on the phone but it works so I'm well pleased.
  • MistyMountainTop
    edited 29 January 2018 at 7:37PM
    Options
    Google tasks is still helping me get things done! It's nice to be able to jot something down on my phone as soon as I think of it. I forget everything if it's not down somewhere, and having a list to tick off makes sure it's getting done. I think I've become about 200% more efficient since staying off the internet for big blocks of time and just getting my head down and doing the work.

I had a job interview on Friday! I was so excited, but when I got there, the entire workforce was way under 25. It was like the whole office stopped and stared at me in horror when I came in. The application didn't ask for a DOB so they probably weren't expecting someone middle aged. The interview went ok for me, but who knows how it went from their end, they did say if I hadn't heard anything within 7 days then I hadn't been successful. Is this how it is now, they just don't contact you? In the past I've had "sorry we have now filled the position" letters or emails.

I asked a lot of questions about the job/company and it seems they are expecting a huge amount for the barely-above-minimum-wage salary offered. They expect people to stay late and come in early/on weekends if needed (without extra pay) as well, lord knows what you would do if you had a young family. I just had the feeling that I wouldn't enjoy working there - it seemed very high pressure. I couldn't make any sort of connection with the young women who interviewed me and tbh they probably saw me as a dowdy old woman. All the young people were very stylish and walking around with ipads and headsets, looking very busy and important. I'd be very surprised if I hear back from them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport