Comments

• UncannyScot
    UncannyScot Posts: 2,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi Misty :D

Great to see you back again
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,416 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Welcome back Misty - so glad to hear that your time away has achieved what you hoped in terms of habit-breaking! And yes, know what you mean about FB - I get so sick of all the "Me Me Me" on there!

Sounds like you're going the right way with the job hunting - there WILL be something out there - and it might be that the New Year will see more vacancies opening up that would suit too as people overhaul their lives for "resolutions" etc. Good luck!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi lovely,

Glad to see you back :D xx
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,987 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Waves to Misty, great to see you back.
    MM x
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • MistyMountainTop
    MistyMountainTop Posts: 682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 11 December 2017 at 2:33PM
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I've missed being on here and catching up with everyone but needed the time away to sort out my life.

I'm giving up the sideline and concentrating on full time work. A regular 40 hr a week pay cheque will give me the ability to cover the bills, have an emergency fund, and start the flat deposit properly. The side line is still important but it would take another few years to build it up enough to bring in a full time wage, and I don't have enough cash reserves to see me through the times when I'm not bringing in new commissions. I'm tired of always robbing Peter to pay Paul and not getting further ahead with buying my own flat. As the sole earner in the household, I need to do what it takes to look after my family. I won't sell my equipment unless there comes a point when I've realised I'll never get back to it. I could also still do it in a very part time way but won't to commit to any new commissions until I've found employment and been working full time for a few months, just to see how my mind and body cope.

I'm doing some baking and laundry today. I'm also having a tidy up this afternoon because I love relaxing on a Sunday in a clean house!

I hope everyone is having a nice weekend xx
  • MistyMountainTop
    MistyMountainTop Posts: 682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 December 2017 at 3:15PM
    Options
    More house cleaning today, making sure the sheets are fresh, etc. to get ready for everyone being here over Xmas. I'm just about to go through the budget again to make sure there is no overspending during the holidays. Not much else going on, but I have plenty to keep me busy and I feel very productive.

Funny thing about staying off t'internet for a few months - aside from MSE and things like online banking, I'm now finding using the computer to be irritating and avoiding it at all costs. I have a lot more free time to do things like cooking all meals from scratch and more baking. I even sit down with a book some afternoons if everything is done. I'd forgotten how nice it was to not be online/connected all the time, it's like living in the 1990's! :rotfl:
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    You really do sound as though things have fallen into place in your head about the right way forwards for you! :T

Good plan to put the sideline on hold for the time being but to hold onto the equipment - and as you say it might be something you'd want to do on an occasional basis but without actively seeking it as "work".
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • MistyMountainTop
    Options
    Thanks EH, I will admit that I spent too much time online (even though I had cut it way down) as I was telling myself it was time well spent - researching something, looking for a new recipe, drumming up sideline business, etc. but in reality I was getting too distracted and could easily take 1/2 hr to do something that should have taken 5 mins. Being free from that dependency has been liberating and made it much easier to look more objectively at the best way to reach my goals.
  • MistyMountainTop
    Options
    Today is being filled with more cleaning, cooking, laundry, and generally being happy to get things done. The house hasn't looked this good in a long time. It's like a big weight has been lifted off my shoulders and I'm back living in the real world. I do get the irony of posting this on an online forum though :rotfl:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Misty, you sound so much more upbeat and positive....do you want to come over and do my house when you've finished yours?? :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure