The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Options

Comments

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    greenbee wrote: »
    House sitting opportunities available here too... no chickens but Thomas the Tank Engine regularly visits just up the road ;)

Ha ha - my dear greenbee - your part of the world is spiffing :D I think it would be no hardship on our part to be housesitters for you :D

I was thinking back earlier to my primary school days (yep, ancient history about to be re-visited...), and how the summer holidays were predominantly spent at home. If you were really lucky, you went for a week - maybe two, at your gran's or your aunt's house. Which may have been at the seaside, but more likely was just somewhere different to where you lived for the rest of the year. For long enough, I can remember only one child who went with their parents on a 'package' holiday. And it wasn't until my final years in primary that I met a girl who went regularly to France on holiday - but they camped and had a trailer tent (very exotic - even in them days).

Whilst I appreciate (greatly) that travel broadens your own, personal, horizons. I think for a long time, I've just appreciated that seeing somewhere different, and appreciating what you have there, and who you are with, can absolutely make a 'holiday'. BG has changed 'how' we holiday, but the time away is getting even richer - so many memories to cherish, so many simple things that make us all happy. Seeing things through a 'smalls' eyes can be - and often is - illuminating :D

I was out the back earlier, cleaning walking boots, wellingtons and buckets and a spade. Made me think we'd done well to bring so much good sand back over the border...... ;) As many memories as there were in those grains of sand too - no lie :o:D

Tea was a bit rubbish. Last of the frozen veg bake, gnocchi (mrL) and pasta sauce. Desperately needed a green veg of some sort, but I had none :( gifted nor frozen :(BG had pesto pasta and fish fingers. If we'd not have had sangers for lunch, we should have had fish finger sarnies for tea :p Fruit and yoghurt all round for dessert. Small people may have had a small chocolatey treat too ;)

Today I am grateful for;

memories

chore completion

offers and options :D

Ta for popping in. Appreciated.

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £8/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £214.28/215
    Non-food household spend April £29.23/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Morning :hello:

Well, this start of the week has definitely got a different feel & vibe going for it. On the cusp of the new school term, those that have been are back from hols, mornings definitely cooler and crisper....... ah well, onwards and upwards :D

I need to get some frozen veg today - expand our menu and meal choices!

I'm going to have the oven on to make a 'tin' cake - most likely Jack's fruit cocktail one (using her idea and my own tried & trusted sponge recipe) to put in the freezer, and I'll use the cooking apples from Grandad's tree to make a small crumble.

Not sure what is for tea. Got some ideas wandering about my brain cell, but seem to falter at - 'ah, but I haven't got.......' ho hum! Onwards and upwards - I did well in August - gotta keep the momentum going! Eyes on the prize, Greying!

Right, certainly can't think of anything else earth-shatteringly :money:to add, so I best vamoose and get baking :D

Ta for popping in.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Smurphington
    Options
    I was thinking back earlier to my primary school days (yep, ancient history about to be re-visited...), and how the summer holidays were predominantly spent at home. If you were really lucky, you went for a week - maybe two, at your gran's or your aunt's house. Which may have been at the seaside, but more likely was just somewhere different to where you lived for the rest of the year.

I find that I feel guilty at times that I can't take my daughter on more holidays or days out that aren't focused around free things that we do quite a lot anyway. We tend to go on a holiday in may which is at a holiday park but we can't afford to do this in the summer. The summer hols we may go on a small day trip but mostly it's picnics etc. However when I was a child this is what I did but I think the world has changed. I try to remind myself that happy memories are happy memories whatever the cost but at times you can't help feeling a bit guilty that you can't provide the same as others
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    I find that I feel guilty at times that I can't take my daughter on more holidays or days out that aren't focused around free things that we do quite a lot anyway. We tend to go on a holiday in may which is at a holiday park but we can't afford to do this in the summer. The summer hols we may go on a small day trip but mostly it's picnics etc. However when I was a child this is what I did but I think the world has changed. I try to remind myself that happy memories are happy memories whatever the cost but at times you can't help feeling a bit guilty that you can't provide the same as others

Oh, I heartily concur Smurphington - I should of made it clear, we didn't actually go on holiday every year. I meant that the 'lucky' ones in our class went to a relative's house for a week, or sometimes two. But the norm was to stay at home - it wasn't even called a 'staycation' in them days! But I also remember that the child who went on a 'package' holiday (we didn't even know where Spain was - never mind where 'Costa Blanca' was.....) never bragged about it, and we never felt 'hard done by'. I guess because the majority didn't even holiday - abroad or otherwise. And yes, it's the guilt about what everyone else is doing that is worrying me a little bit - although one or two people I know haven't 'holidayed' (as in vacation) this year either, so maybe I'm worrying that BG is missing out - when actually not everyone else is doing it either.........

I do hope that the day visits, or play-dates, or indeed, the breaks to 'somewhere else in the UK' that we do manage are building memories for BG and they remember good times, fun, laughter, picnics, sand in their shoes etc etc etc :D

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• teapot2
    teapot2 Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ha ha - my dear greenbee - your part of the world is spiffing :D I think it would be no hardship on our part to be housesitters for you :D

I was thinking back earlier to my primary school days (yep, ancient history about to be re-visited...), and how the summer holidays were predominantly spent at home. If you were really lucky, you went for a week - maybe two, at your gran's or your aunt's house. Which may have been at the seaside, but more likely was just somewhere different to where you lived for the rest of the year. For long enough, I can remember only one child who went with their parents on a 'package' holiday. And it wasn't until my final years in primary that I met a girl who went regularly to France on holiday - but they camped and had a trailer tent (very exotic - even in them days).

Whilst I appreciate (greatly) that travel broadens your own, personal, horizons. I think for a long time, I've just appreciated that seeing somewhere different, and appreciating what you have there, and who you are with, can absolutely make a 'holiday'. BG has changed 'how' we holiday, but the time away is getting even richer - so many memories to cherish, so many simple things that make us all happy. Seeing things through a 'smalls' eyes can be - and often is - illuminating :D

Greying X

My childhood was the same, we went to my Granny's croft [later my Uncle's] and also spent time at my aunts who I loved, she was very eccentric which was a delight for a small person. I didn't go abroad until I'd left home a few years. Loved those holidays though and the familiarity of certain things was a big part of it.

I grew up in a town with a big economic divide, we were on the outskirts in a council house and there were big houses down by the sea where they went to the second home in the summer and on winter skiing holidays and the kids went to private schools in the city. I have lots of lovely memories from those holidays though and am glad to say younger members of the family have kept up the tradition and love it there too :cool:
  • Moneywhizz
    Options
    Interesting holiday chat. From my years of working with young children I really don't think it matters where they go on holiday, or even if they go. Every day is an adventure for them whether they are at home, or on holiday. As long as they are experiencing lots of outdoor play it really doesn't matter where it is. The joy of young children is that they don't compare themselves with what others have. That obviously may come when they are older but then it is possible to teach them that they are actually so much better off than most of the world. No one should feel guilty about not having lots of money to spend on their children. If they are loved and cared for by their family they are truly blessed children. Just treasure the time when they are small and so easy to please.
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Moneywhizz wrote: »
    .....The joy of young children is that they don't compare themselves with what others have. That obviously may come when they are older but then it is possible to teach them that they are actually so much better off than most of the world.

I wonder if this explains why there didn't seem to be an omnipresent 'green-eyed monster' when we were at school? I mean, it did occasionally raise it's head, but it was much more likely to be about a specific toy, than who was going where at either the weekend or for their holidays - and to a certain extent who had what clothes. The world has changed - I agree with Smurphington - but I still find it hard to reconcile how 'easy' life seemed at primary school in my day. And yet, to be honest, BG doesn't (as yet) talk much about 'stuff', 'lack', 'wants' or 'everyone else....'. Maybe they are still too wee - or maybe I've already loused up their childhood and they've quit pointing to the JL Top 10 toys for Christmas list............. ;):rotfl:Perhaps sometimes it is the parents that want these things more - than the child? Poor auld BG - they have a non-consumerist ma in charge of the purse strings :(

Moneywhizz wrote: »
    No one should feel guilty about not having lots of money to spend on their children. If they are loved and cared for by their family they are truly blessed children. Just treasure the time when they are small and so easy to please.

Now that I do agree with, whole-heartedly. I am constantly impressed with how 'simple' BG's requests are. They just got great delight with us both 'sneaking' up the stairs to 'pounce' on Daddy. I mean, how simple is that? - and yet BG was giggling so much when they 'found' daddy - who joined in by 'hiding' under the blankie. Throughout this summer, they have thought 'going on a picnic' (putting lunch in a tupperware and going somewhere different to the dining room table) has been the bees knees and such an adventure! No cost, only a bit of time, and we've seen some different things and had some different experiences as a result.

I picked up some frozen veg from h3r0n - I now have broccoli and green beans :j Not convinced H3r0n is still the cheapest, but they were in 'shanks' pony' commuting distance, so.........

I checked the banks whilst out and about and the bills money had hit my account in timely fashion, so that is OK. But I noticed that the energy company has taken the first of their 'enhanced' direct debit amounts, so i need to hit the comparison sites, as I don't think a monthly DD of over £100 is needed for a tiny wee housie like we have......But I might be wrong :o

Tea ended up being omlette stuffed with 'garlic mushroom mix', with (tinned) potato salad (mayo & mint again), and steamed broccoli. Actually turned out more tasty and filling than I had anticipated :o Nice mix of potato sizes in the mrS tinned tatties - although some were even weenier than the mrAl ones.........

I forgot to mention - I got a box of the 15 mixed weight FR eggs from mrS yesterday - still £2 and the ones I bought had 3 weeks date on them. Nice golden yellow yolks too - well pleased.

The fruit cocktail cake turned out nicely. BG and i had a slice for tea, and the rest has gone in the freezer for snap/lunches for the rest of the week (or however long I can make it last) and DH will be having a portion of apple crumble. I will be making HM custard too - just in case inod pops in :D I was a little disappointed that Grandad's cooking apples seem to have some sort of condition that is making them rot from the inside out - which meant I didn't have as much apple as I thought - so I used up the last eating apple from his tree too :(

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

chores completed

rain showers dodged

friends who spot us in the crowd and toot and wave :wave::D

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,538 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    ...a monthly DD of over £100 is needed for a tiny wee housie like we have...

:eek::eek::eek:
    Wow GP this is really high!

When we first went on DD just over a year ago, they put us on £99 per month which was £17 higher than our annual monthly average (from our DIY spreadsheet) - within a few months we had so much of a credit that we were refunded £87 and they dropped our monthly payment to £71 - still high, but our old house is hard to heat & keep warm!

All that to say that your wee house should not be over £100 unless you have a hole in the roof!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    I take it you've been putting in regular meter readings for the power use GP? What does that history tell you about whether this is right or wrong - have you come out of the summer in credit, for example? Also use the history to get a clearer picture on whether something has suddenly changed too - this could point to an issue with the meter perhaps? Our figures are skewed by the fact that all our heating is electric, and we only use gas for cooking, but if anything that tends to increase costs overall rather than reducing, and if I was putting more than £50 a month into a DD for energy I'd be raising and eyebrow and thinking something wasn't right.

I'll be the first to say shout up if having done the comparison a Bulb referral is of any use to you, anyway! :D
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    Managed to regain access to my diary and now tootling round catching up on everyone's activities.
    Sending a big hug your way.

Tilly
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts