The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,203 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Blooming hormones are are a blooming pain sadly.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Good Morning :hello:

Well I've woken up feeling better than I have for the past couple of mornings - and that is even with a bit of a broken night's sleep :think:

According to the weather forecast, we were supposed to have rain by now. The sun is currently shining and there is a breeze. Do you think I dare jinx it by starting a wash??? :rotfl:

The weather will determine what we do today - but I certainly think I'm going to instigate something of a 'gathering' of all the outgrown, and no longer used/useful bits and pieces of BG's to take to the chazzer. They have gravitated out of BG's bedroom, but have gravitated into ours - taking up room that is not there :o So go they must!

Tea this evening will be lentil bolognese and pasta.

I must make my 'big' shopping list for the start of the month, when we have a budget reset. I am quite pleased with August though (hope I'm not speaking too soon!), as I've more or less kept to budget, we've been away from home - which always makes food costs higher if you're not self-catering in a well equipped kitchenette with fridge/freezer, and we've made a donation to a FB which I was happy to put in the box - as we'd done our best to get good value for money. So all in all, August has been one of our better months in 2019. Possibly a first for a summer month in a while! :cool: Mind, now that I've proved to meself that it can be done.......... :o:rotfl:

Right, can't think of owt else :money: at the mo, and I've finished my coffee - yes, trying to keep a lid on consumption ;) so best vamoose.

Ta for popping in.

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £7/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £176.38/215
    Non-food household spend April £25.94/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • Good Evening :hello:

Well, I threw caution - and the washing - to the wind, and we won :j:D Whilst it did come to mizzle quite heavy at one point, and I had to go and get the washing back in, it had dried quite well, and when the sun re-appeared, I shoved it on the line again, and it's all dried very nicely :D

I bagged up BG's bits & pieces for the chazzer, and DH took BG on a pootle about, achieving chores and dropped off the bags at our preferred chazzer - so stuff has exited the house :j I should have nipped up the high street to double check that the money has landed into the right account to pay bills after yesterday's 'technical glitch', but I hadn't got the energy, and didn't want to wade throught the crowds all shopping for shoes & grey trousers................. So fingers crossed it has all worked out.

We've decided to really push the boat out and go for another few days away, hopefully before the weather changes too much. It's a balancing act, as we are not made of money, but I also have to be pragmatic, and think that when school days come along, we may not be able to afford holidays at all. So maybe now is the time to make as many memories as we can? Anyway, I've booked into another budget hotel, and we will try our hardest to have a wonderful time, without spending beyond our means. However, you know me, I'm always willing to research and check that we're getting things as cheaply as we're able - given the parameters we're working to - so for example, 14 days holiday may be proportionally far cheaper than 5, but if you've only got 5 days off, then...... or a Saturday to Saturday booking may be cheaper than a Sunday to Friday, but if you have to work Saturdays....... that sort of thing. Anyway, I happened to think about hostels - as it was something we'd looked into for our August break, but the hostel we were considering was more expensive than our budget hotel. So we didn't book it. But I thought I would double check if there were hostels in the vicinity of our chosen destination this time. There were 3, but not as conveniently located as the budget hotel we'd selected. But I wanted to take costs into consideration. I gave up when the hostel - yet again - came out dearer per night than the budget hotel. I realise that the hostel system usually gives access to a communal kitchen - and the one I was looking at was a room with an en-suite (the hostel we looked at for our August break was a shared bathroom/toilet down the hall :eek: and was dearer than a private hotel room with en-suite :eek:), but even so. I can never seem to make 'cheap and cheerful' accommodation work for me. I realise the super cheap beds are to be found in the dormitory system - but we're not willing to subject other occupants to BG's snoring at this point :eek::rotfl: Is it me? Or have hostels become dearer for families? Do you only benefit if it's 24 lads or a bus-load of DofE participants making the booking?

We're currently up to date with everything in terms of having clothes/shoes/ underwear etc. I'll be the first to say that some of it is well worn - it most certainly isn't the height of fashion, and it won't be worth more at auction when we're dead! But we've got enough 'stuff'. I'm getting better at 'camping catering' - with or without a stove. It is more costly, but it can be done. So, as long as I plan, plan, and then plan some more, we should be able to enjoy a break, make memories, and cover all the costs. I'm sure there are plenty of people that think that sucks the very essence out of a holiday, and we should just shove it on the credit card and forget about it. But I've never been able to do that anyway, and it would ruin the experience for me - each to our own, eh?

Tea tonight was from the freezer; lentil bolognese & macaroni (mrT straight). I had just finished mine when Liza T on R2 announced with a drum-roll her first emailer of the evening who was having spag bol for tea. Should have texted into the show - vegetarians represent :rotfl:

Having the 'ready meals' has been a large contributor to our budgetary success this month - along with making use of EVERY scrap of HG produce that folk have been generous enough to gift our way. It's not like I don't operate like that normally, but it's surprising how little you have to slip to start making the costs mount up. I can remember being so frustrated at having no energy to batch cook anything in the early months of having BG. Costs went up and budgetting went out the window :( Perhaps I'm only just getting back on an even-keel :eek::rotfl:

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

a plan to get my teeth and brain-cell stuck into :D

good things have gone to a chazzer - money for them, space for us :D

we've achieved chores, life, watched a bit of rugger and been fed :j

Ta for popping in.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,420 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 1 September 2019 at 12:27PM
    Good Afternoon :hello:

Well, that's the 'start of the month' top-up shop done. Not an awful lot bought - minimal 'junk' - some crisps and some tortillas were about the only things we could definitely have lived without. Some fruit, a bit of veg, no frozen, some chilled.......... £45 spent :eek: And that is shopping the budget lines in mrS, mrL and HB............................

I was VERY pleased to see that mrS is stocking it's 'basiks' tinned tatties for 35p. They are in price 'lock-down' :think: But that is in stark contrast to mrA that shoved their price UP to 38p the minute some cook off t'telly waxed lyrical about them, saying 'why wouldn't you use them?.....'. I think firms that raise prices to cash in on some one-minute wonder ought to look to their conscience, and I'd like to say publically; Thank you mrS for enabling people who buy products to contribute to foodbanks to still be able to afford to do so!

We went to a mrL that we'd never been to before. It's only been open 18 months.... 2 years...... :o but it's not readily accessible without a car - and then it's a nightmare junction at busy times. The stock levels were good - apart from if you wanted tinned chickpeas - they are boxed in with butter beans, and there were none - I think, however, this store may well have had the UK supply of tinned butter beans on their shelves........ :rotfl:And the lad on the till was super-nice and cheerful, so it'd be good to go again to that store :o Oh, and they had plenty of black olives in stock too :j:rotfl: I was also pleased to get hold of some red lentils - cheaper than HB - as DH always claims the mrL we usually use are always OOS of red lentils. I think he never looks in the right place....... And their passata is cheaper than HB again - 32p a carton vs 3 for £1 in HB.

It'll be egg mayo sangers for lunch, and I'll have a think on, on what's for tea. All that shopping and there ain't nowt in the cupboards :o

Well, as I've been all 'consumerist' and spent hard-earned today, I don't think I have anything :money:to add :( Better shuffle orf and stroke me receipt pile....... :(:o;)

Ta for popping in.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,698 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Morning lovely Greying :hello: (except it's afternoon now isn't it? Gosh, September is whizzing by already!! :eek: )

I'm with you on hostels being expensive :eek: I used to work in one and got free stays in all the others on my days off :D :money: which was great, but I've barely stayed in them since for the very reason you suggest. I've just checked the one I used to work at and they want £30 for a bed in a dorm room for one night, with a shared bathroom and no breakfast! Good grief. Yes you get access to a kitchen often - but the one I worked at was (15 years ago :rotfl: ) reducing the amount of kitchen facilities and trying to encourage people to eat in/buy their packed lunches etc.

Anyway, hope you do get away again, it's good for the soul :j Even just one night away is rejuvenating I find :j Not that I am one to talk - Mr Cheery and I have literally had ONE night away together (sleeping in the car at a friend's house) since we got the chickens, which will be an entire year tomorrow :eek: More nights away for us I say!

Fancy hanging out in my country house and feeding my chickens while I go on holiday next year?? :D As many eggs as you can find, and I'd give you free reign to run down my storecupboard and anything I'd managed to grow in the garden (er, which going by this year, would be very little...) :D
  • Fancy hanging out in my country house and feeding my chickens while I go on holiday next year?? :D As many eggs as you can find, and I'd give you free reign to run down my storecupboard and anything I'd managed to grow in the garden (er, which going by this year, would be very little...) :D

YES! - We shan't need asking twice! :D Bear us in mind - i mean it :D

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Paspatur
    Paspatur Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi Greying, have you considered Air b and b?
    I work for a dance charity and one of our groups attended an event in London
    Original plan was 8 bed dormitory in a hostel with no cooking facilities but ended up far cheaper with an Air b and b and also saved more money by having meals in
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,698 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    YES! - We shan't need asking twice! :D Bear us in mind - i mean it :D

Greying X

Certainly shall - you'd be doing us a massive favour too keeping an eye on the Beaky [STRIKE]Menaces[/STRIKE] Angels :D And I *hope* we'll have an actual kitchen floor and ceiling by then :eek: :eek: :o:o :rotfl:
  • Paspatur wrote: »
    Hi Greying, have you considered Air b and b?
    I work for a dance charity and one of our groups attended an event in London
    Original plan was 8 bed dormitory in a hostel with no cooking facilities but ended up far cheaper with an Air b and b and also saved more money by having meals in

I haven't for this (intended) trip Paspatur. I am guilty of 'assumption', I was looking at 2 locations (earlier on in the year), and what I found was that big houses, with many rooms were (comparatively) cheap as chips, whereas apartments/cottages/small houses were more per night than the budget hotels - whilst they offered 'self-catering', there was the issue of getting the right dates and some didn't offer parking - or it was miles away. All of which I would take into consideration if it was adults only, but I'm less willing to consider with a small child. But I freely admit - i didn't look at air B and b this time around. In future it may hold benefits for us, so i'm not discounting it. Thanks for the reminder.

Certainly shall - you'd be doing us a massive favour too keeping an eye on the Beaky [STRIKE]Menaces[/STRIKE] Angels :D And I *hope* we'll have an actual kitchen floor and ceiling by then :eek: :eek: :o:o :rotfl:

Floorboards = good. And no snow would be good too :D Am I starting to be a 'demanding' house-sitter??? :o:rotfl:

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,129 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    House sitting opportunities available here too... no chickens but Thomas the Tank Engine regularly visits just up the road ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure