The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Comments

• Good Evening :hello:

Well, I hope the weather has been spiffing with you. It got a bit too el scorchio for dear auld Greying today :(

But we got to try out putting up the new tent :j It was OK to put up, and take down, but the re-folding unravelled what was left of our brain-cells, so the carrier bag ain't looking so pretty as it did :( #oddshapedshapeinabag.............. :rotfl:

We were more or less successful in keeping BG from stomping all over the flysheet. More or less........................................................

I realised earlier that we achieved a nsd today :j Which is just as well, as I think I have about £2 cash to me name and some mrT vouchers :rotfl:

Tea ended up being a bit of vegetable bake out of the freezer, the Ayshire tatties from mrL, gifted runner beans and baked beans. Filled a tum, made a gap in the freezer and 'cost' nowt :D The tatties were OK, nothing earth shattering. They were labelled as 'baby' potatoes - coz they were small....... but they didn't taste overly potatoey. They most certainly weren't the worst I've ever tasted, but they weren't worth 69p for a...... 500g? bag neither. I was going to use the runner beans to make an actual 'dish' rather than just accompany something else, but I think I've enough dishes now to last to the end of the week - what with storecupboard/freezer bits, so I think we'll be ok :D

Today i am grateful for these 3 things;

relaxed family time

not being thwarted by a bit of nylon and some string....... :rotfl:

BG's enthusiasm for a life under canvas....... shall we see how long it lasts? My bet's on the first owl hoot :rotfl:

Ta for popping in. Appreciated. Greatly.

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £7/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £176.38/215
    Non-food household spend April £25.94/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • Good Evening :hello:

Went the day well?

We've had most of the season's weather in one day - but for the most part it's been warm and dry. It only rained when we were furthest from home without a coat :whistle: But luckily it was big blobby raindrops that weren't really wetting and it blew over quite quickly.

i found a book for BG in a chazzer - it was in a series that they like, I'm not sure it had ever been opened, never mind read, and was ours for the princely sum of 49p :j We stopped to chat to one of our senior friends on the way home, and they insisted on pressing some change into BG's hand, 'for sweeties'. Let me tell you - it was enough for a coffee chain large-double-double-skinny-de-caff-mokka-lokka-chocca! :o They are so kind. We chatted about our holiday, and they told us about their day :D

Funnily enough I was thinking today I will need to get a little purse for BG, I'd like to introduce them to money basics - you know, in an age-appropriate manner. But people are so kind in gifting money - and whilst I'm keen on saving, it won't harm BG to get to spend a small percentage of it - and if they have to use their 'own' money, well then they may begin to weigh up the pros and cons of what they do want. Perhaps BG is still a little too young? But I'm not thinking of them carrying around fowsands. Just a little bit of change - probably in small denomination coins so it 'seems' alot. Has anyone else done this with their children? Does it work? Or is it better to leave them until they're teens or leaving home etc??? :rotfl: do children still leave home???:rotfl::rotfl:(tell me they do! :o:rotfl:).

Purchases today were minimal - the charity shop book and a tub of marg from h3r0n. Freezing the spreadable butter has worked wonders! DH has twigged that the grocery budget is not an infinite pit of money, just waiting round to re-fund his giddy-purchases! (poor chap! :o:rotfl:). Going without his toast this morning, because he'd used up the last of the spread on his sangers worked too :whistle: :rotfl:

Tea this evening was chunky veg chilli - one of my HM 'ready' meals, served with basmati rice. Filled a tum, and was actually quite nice. It seemed even better than I remember for having been frozen :D

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

good quality things from chazzers

kindness

a storecupboard tea :D - no thinking nor extensive prep required :D

I've just been typing that and my eyes fell upon a little zipped pouch on the cupboard that might do as a coin purse for BG. It hasn't got compartments, but the zip isn't too fiddly, and it's big enough for BG to put their hand in...... mmmmmm, might have got a :money:-style purse solution :j:D

Ta for popping by.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• teapot2
    teapot2 Posts: 3,261 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I don't have children but judging by the experience with niece, nephew, great nieces and great nephew, a wee purse with small coins does help to give a sense of money ownership and responsibility [have to say when small its mostly directed towards the purchase of sweets though :p]. All of them have also loved having a 'piggy' to put some of their gifted coins in. That can also help with the idea of saving up for things you want/need.
  • Elnora32
    Elnora32 Posts: 172 Forumite
    How kind of your friend to give BG some money for sweeties.
    it won't harm BG to get to spend a small percentage of it - and if they have to use their 'own' money, well then they may begin to weigh up the pros and cons of what they do want. Perhaps BG is still a little too young?
    Not that I'm an expert but I think this is a good idea as it won't just be about spending money. BG can learn about maths - counting out the pennies to pay and working out much change will be given. Plus decision making - do they really want / need the item or want to save their money for something special.

Glad you had a good day.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,129 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Even when they have their own purse, and their own money, they still prefer to spend yours ;)
  • greenbee wrote: »
    Even when they have their own purse, and their own money, they still prefer to spend yours ;)

really??? Darn it! My cunning plan dashed afore I've even had chance to implement it......... mwah ha ha :rotfl:

I have to say, BG is definitely too wee to yet understand the subtleties of high-finance, but it might be worth a go. And here was me thinking that them dropping 47pence worth of pennies in the middle of mrAl's was gonna be the issue...... :rotfl:

I suppose at the moment, they don't have the ability to rationalise a need over a want. And given that it's not too much of an issue if they 'want' something, and mumma says 'no', they don't fuss too much. But I just thought it may help with their money confidence. They do like handing over the money to the cashier - but they wouldn't know if they needed to give 50p or £5 yet, so perhaps I am being a bit premature? But I think I'll give the purse a whirl - put today's 'sweetie money' in it, and see what occurs :D

As ever, I am grateful to kindnesses heaped on me by lovely people on this site. You know who you are ;) :kisses3:

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• My daughter has a little purse and if she is ever gifted small amounts we put it in there. It is a bit of a work I progress though as the first time she had a pound she had a whole list of things she was going to get with it , sweets, stickers, colouring books.
  • Busy_Mee1
    Busy_Mee1 Posts: 1,015 Forumite

Or is it better to leave them until they're teens or leaving home etc??? :rotfl: do children still leave home???:rotfl::rotfl:(tell me they do :rotfl:X

Err if my DD is still at home next Summer, I will have had at least one child at home for the last 30 years :eek: I managed a fortnight with an empty nest :rotfl: They are like boomerangs...they leave and then they come back !

DD is 26, she left home at 18 to go backpacking but returned after university. She is not unusual amongst her friends to be still living at home. She is saving for a deposit but the running costs of her own place on her own will be difficult.

On the bright side she polices what her old Mum and Dad wear and our choice in music....so we are not allowed to get old and frumpy :rotfl:
  • Good Morning :hello:

...... as the first time she had a pound she had a whole list of things she was going to get with it , sweets, stickers, colouring books.

Yes, I can see the quantity/value being a bit of a sticking issue for BG too at the mo :D Mind, we did have a conversation the other day, where BG gave me an 'imaginary' £50 (why that amount I don't know), and we were discussing what to do with it. We ended up deciding we would go to the supermarket and get 'lots and lots' for the foodbank :D So things are seeping into BG's conciousness here and there :D

Busy_Mee1 wrote: »
    They are like boomerangs...they leave and then they come back !

Oh lawks! :eek::rotfl:
    Busy_Mee1 wrote: »
    On the bright side she polices what her old Mum and Dad wear and our choice in music....so we are not allowed to get old and frumpy :rotfl:

:rotfl: BG better get started on auld Ma & Pa now - we're old, fusty and aren't very 'up' with any music past the 1980's............ :o:rotfl:

Right, have to remind myself today is Wednesday.

Tea will be something with courgettes and mozarella - and a storecupboard carb of either rice or pasta. I'm going to try to not purchase anything - and will have to sort out how to get to mrT tomoz to get bread & milk with t'voucher. Oh, and I should add that I was delighted to receive a reminder email from mrT regarding vouchers that were 'about to expire'. Helpful for a forgetful auld fruit like me :D

Right, best shuffle orf.

Ta for popping in. Appreciated.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,203 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Wow. Go BG with the idea of donating to the food bank.
    Awesome. Just awesome:D.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure