The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Comments

• Grrr! Does anyone else have a partner/spouse that just doesn't get this budgetting mularkey?

DH phoned me from mrL - we could have survived until tomorrow, so there was no need for him to go today, but as he was in the shop, I didn't like to say 'come home now'. So we agree on 2 loaves of bread (98p) as we will eat/need them and they can just about fit in the freezer, and DH wanted greek yoghurt - £1.39. So i expect to owe him £2.37 (he still in fact owes me £3.50 of the grocery money, but still.....). He comes home with that PLUS 2 bags of lentil crisps £1.44 and a tub of spreadable butter £1.98 and presents me with the receipt for £5.69 expecting the money back........... Did I not write on this here diary the other week that we can never afford spreadable butter by the end of the month! Plus we have half a tub of marg still in the fridge - there was no need to buy that today..... I give in.

Of course, when i start to explain what cash/vouchers I have left in the budget, I get tuts, and 'but there's a week of August left to go....'

*sigh*.

Why do i bust my butt shaving pennies off here, and saving pennies there, plotting, planning and preparing with exacting attention to detail so that we can actually go off on holiday for a few days, only for the work to be undone, the minute we get home!

We have however, been gifted some HG courgettes, so all is not lost :T For those I am very grateful :D

Right, I'm away to whip up some curries from stuff.we.already.have.

Sigh. Still blessed annoyed......

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £2/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £120.73/215
    Non-food household spend April £25.94/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Charity Blankets completed 1/24
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,113 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    That's men for you :(
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,529 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Sigh - menfolk - PITA - I feel for you GP - even when you think you have them properly trained they go off and spend the non-existant grocery budget!

Mine has just derailed our store cupboard challenge with an impromptu purchase...

One step forward, three steps back...

...must be the alignment of the stars, as I just checked and it's not a full moon!!!
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Good Evening :hello:

Ha ha, I don't think the chaps have the monopoly on budget-busting. I think lasses can make a hash of it too. It's just when you've an inbalance in a couple of one pinching pennies, whilst the other buys up the contents of the shop with gleeful abandon :(

Anyway, I'm going to have to come up with a way of restoring the balance. I'm thinking padlocks on the spreadable butter until September...... Too much? :rotfl: And in the meantime, I've got my fingers crossed that there will be a marg bargain or two at h3r0n f00ds :o

I think we may need another chat about financials as a family. I think DH has happily handed all responsibility over to me, and always expects money to be there. I know he works long and hard for his crust, but there is no infinite pot that we can keep dipping into. We have to budget.

Tea was indeed a curry plate. I made chickpea chasni, which is my veggie version of that Glaswegian classic...... a similar recipe (using chicken) to the one I used can be found here. My tomato ketchup was only 14 months out of date...... still there was no mould on it, so......... And I cooked up the yukky YS'd cherry tommies into Rick Steins tomato curry. I can't find a link for the tomato curry - but I think it was out of his 'far eastern odessy' cookbook, iirc. Served with boiled basmati and washed down with a bottle of Caesar Augustus beer - thank you Alloa ;) (and thank you mrAl for stocking it at £1.49 a bottle......) Nothing was bought for tea tonight - it was all from stores etc (the chickpeas were the ones sorted out of the frozen bean mix I got from h3r0n). Filled a plate, filled a tum :D

Today i am grateful for these 3 things;

BG continuing to surprise and delight us with 'first-time' achievements - how do kids learn this stuff?????

wiggle room - which others may not have :o

gifted courgettes - appreciated

Ta for popping by.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,106 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Maybe tell DH he's spent next month's beer money? :beer:

Can you freeze the spreadable butter until the marg has run out?

I really admire how hard you work to make your budget stretch, while still producing imaginative, varied, healthy meals.

I must get a kitchen put in... although it seems pretty pointless when I'm travelling pretty much every week between now and mid-December... but having had a couple of weeks at home, I've enjoyed cooking and definitely eaten better, so I need to find a way to make it work.

Are you sure I can't persuade you to adopt me? I won't take up much room as I'm hardly ever home, and I'm quite happy to entertain BG when I am ;)
  • greenbee wrote: »
    Maybe tell DH he's spent next month's beer money? :beer:

Can you freeze the spreadable butter until the marg has run out?

I really admire how hard you work to make your budget stretch, while still producing imaginative, varied, healthy meals.

I must get a kitchen put in... although it seems pretty pointless when I'm travelling pretty much every week between now and mid-December... but having had a couple of weeks at home, I've enjoyed cooking and definitely eaten better, so I need to find a way to make it work.

Are you sure I can't persuade you to adopt me? I won't take up much room as I'm hardly ever home, and I'm quite happy to entertain BG when I am ;)

Aw poor chap - he doesn't drink much beer anyway, if the beer money is cut, he'd only OD on tea....... ;):rotfl:

Yes, either freeze the butter or just not open it until September - but probably best out of sight in the freezer!

Come and be a 'live-in' Aunty to BG - why not :D You could be our tech expert and deal with the builders/plumbers/tradespeople in general :D

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,113 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Have a good day��
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • greenbee
    Aw poor chap - he doesn't drink much beer anyway, if the beer money is cut, he'd only OD on tea....... ;):rotfl:

Yes, either freeze the butter or just not open it until September - but probably best out of sight in the freezer!

Come and be a 'live-in' Aunty to BG - why not :D You could be our tech expert and deal with the builders/plumbers/tradespeople in general :D

Greying X

I don't actually know anything about tech (ask my tech support team...) I just tell everyone what I think it should do and then they have to make it happen ;)

As for plumbers etc... I'm about to start back with them here. Boiler service, check the drip in the shower, get the paving stones in the porch taken up and redo them like the patio, put some more fence posts and wire in now the existing stuff is definitely working, call the tree surgeon to take out a dying ash and an overgrown pollarded willow... and I'm away for at least part of every week for the next 14 weeks... :cool:

Maybe you should all come and live here and manage the household for me... :rotfl:
  • beanielou wrote: »
    Have a good day��

I'm afraid we haven't beanie - the day has been utterly spoilt by some unnecessary and frankly erroneous comments made at me by a complete stranger. I just give up with society, I really do .....................

greenbee wrote: »

Maybe you should all come and live here and manage the household for me... :rotfl:

Erm, that sounds like a good offer :D Shall I book t'removals van??? :rotfl:

Right, well, I spent a speck of money today - on necessary, and budgetted for, haircuts - with our lovely, cheerful and affordable hairdresser :D I wish we'd come straight home after that, we'd have avoided the unpleasantness :(

We called in on the parentals and got gifted garden produce - runner beans, a couple of tommies and some apples :j The apples particularly, smell divine.

Lunch was cheese and tommie sangers, crisps and a mandarin for the growing child :D Who promptly found a pip .......:(

Tea this evening will be assorted salads - left over from the hols (ie unused), so packet cous-cous, tinned beans/lentils and anything else I can think of to fill a tum. Oh, and I did buy some tatties today in mrL - they were billed as Ayshire tatties, so we'll give em a whirl - although maybe not for tea.

Right, I'm away to cook tea. Get over this funk.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• greenbee
    Erm, that sounds like a good offer :D Shall I book t'removals van??? :rotfl:

You're on ;)

Ignore the idiots. There are far too many of them around for some reason, and if we paid attention to them all life would be seriously depressing. Remember, their comments say more about them than they do about you. Feel sorry for them and move on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure