The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Options

Comments

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Evening :hello:

Went the day well for you?

I picked up a couple of tops for BG in a chazzer :j The one top was really cheap - plenty of wear left in it, but cut on the small side. It possibly won't last BG long, and will be an 'everyday' wear. But then it will probably still be good enough to go back in the chazzer network for someone else once BG is done with it :D I took a punt for 99p :D The other top is a much roomier fit - and of course 3x the price of the other one. But the quality of the fabric was really good. It had either stood up to wear well, or hadn't been worn at all :think: Which surprised me a bit as it was from a vare chi-chi children's fashionable emporium....... I'm not bothered about labels, but I did like the quality of the fabric - it'll be a good winter layer item (BG should get plenty of wear out of it), so i actually thought it was well priced - although I sure as hickey wouldn't have paid the sorta prices that they charge for their 'new season' items of clothing.........

I did alot of my 'chores' today - so I'm quite pleased on that front :D

Tea was 'made up' chickpea, courgette and tomato curry, which used up stored chickpeas and a gifted courgette, along with a few sliced up cherry toms. No recipe to it, it was a splodge of this and a dollop of that. Ended up tasting OK :D Served with rice for tea and there is a medium portion left over, which will contribute to a 'curry plate', and as I already have some dhal in my freezer, I'm claiming ready meal 4/7 with this curry :D

Today I am grateful for;

charity shop finds

a 'cobble' tea

cheerful conversation :D

Ta for popping by. Appreciated.

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £3,005/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping January - May £90/£90

Grocery spend May £230.12/215
    Non-food household spend May £24.01/30
    Bulk Fund May 0/£15

Knitted items for charity 2/24 (inc. Blankets 2/6)
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,701 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Great charity shop finds :j :j
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 14 August 2019 at 7:40AM
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    It is not out of date nor half used.

beanz - i was thinking of you t'other day. I was in the reception area of an organisation that collects for our local foodbank, and for the first time ever, I saw first hand what "rubbish" people donate to FB's. There was a cardboard packet - of a branded breakfast product - that looked, to all intents and purposes, like it had been run over by a Double-Decker bus after being left out in the rain :( I'm sure the donor would argue that the contents were in a sealed bag inside, but even so.

Not only does it show utter disrespct for the person you are donating too, but it was a poor advert for the type of goods the FB would 'accept' (which was the fault of the 3rd party organisation - their FB liaison officer should have at least taken it from public display, and asked the FB if they would accept it at collection time).

I'm sure if our mum, or sister, or bff offered us a packet of something that had been damaged - but the contents were still intact, we'd probably accept the item - if it was summat we used/ate. But what are people thinking of to give damaged stuff to a stranger and expect them to be grateful?

I know I'm a weirdo making sure I or DH scrupulously check tins for dents and packets for tears, but honestly :(

Greying X

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,701 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Grayling. You would be amazed sadly.
    Half eaten, out of date by years and so on.
    I do wonder sometimes what people are thinking.
    :(. :(. :(
    What amazes me on a personal level is that people make the effort to take these items to the collection point.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Evening :hello:

Tiny, just a wee bit, ever-so-slightly, fed up of the weather now........ I realise we've been luckier than some, and we've had some nice sunshiney spells, but the rain - when it comes - is just full on downpour or constant (really wetting) mizzle :(

We had to go out today, and I was ever so grateful for a charity shop sourced 'puddle suit' and a pair of wellies bought with xmas money last year (or perhaps start of this?) that enabled BG to walk along without getting absolutely drenched to the skin. My coat did have a hood, but I don't like to wear it when I'm with BG, I like to be aware of what's behind me or around me crossing roads etc. So I did end up somewhat drowned rat-like :( I did feel, once we'd got home, 'cold to the core' - and it did cross my mind how easy it would be to flick the heating switch on :o But then I quickly reminded myself that it is still August, and put a warmer top on - just like any other MSE'r would do ;) :rotfl:

This puddle suit is about the 3rd BG has had - chazzer shop finds or hand-me-downs. I think they are ace :D And I really did appreciate a kindly comment someone made about BG being dressed right for the conditions. I know I'm a boring auld fart, and am guilty of sometimes being too 'belt & braces' in my planning, but I also knew that it would be no fun having a grumpy/upset child, refusing to go any further in a downpour because they were soaked to the skin :( Our trip was 'enjoyable' given the conditions, BG behaved so well :D

I didn't spend any money today, but DH picked up some groceries for me on the way home, so money has been spent.

Tea was cheap and cheerful; mashed potatoes (used up the last of the 'real' HB tatties), cheese omlette and baked beans. There is chocolate cherry bun for dessert :D Filled a tum and felt right given the pants weather :(:D Course, i won't think that when that mash gravitates to me hips.......... :rotfl:

Today i am grateful for these 3 things;

a kindly word

BG's enthusiasm on an otherwise grey day

a tea from stores :D

Ta for popping by. Appreciated.

Greying X

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

• rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Ooo - wondered what a puddle suit was and discovered it is remarkably like a snowsuit :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: A most useful piece of clothing!
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 3 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • DebtFreeMonkey
    Options
    Really like how you end your roundups with things you're grateful for! Brilliant idea.

Today sounds like a winner of a day, overall and I'm glad to hear it. Yes, the weather sucks at the mo but at least you're well prepared.
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Morning :hello:

The role of parenting is a difficult one - in addition to your own insecurities of not always knowing what to do for the best, someone else always has an opinion :o There are certainly some members of the family that would regard the purchase of wellies with xmas money as 'boring' and that BG should have been bought some sort of (plastic) toy. There are others that would say such purchases should be funded from our wages/CHB - as we chose to bring BG into the world.... I was just grateful that BG had wellies yesterday, as they definitely made a difference to our 'enjoyment' of the situation. It reminds me of the snow that we had a couple of winters ago. The grandparentals had asked what BG needed and I'd said wellies - they were happy to fund such a purchase, as long as I got them etc. I had ordered them from mrS, and a couple of days after receiving them - the snow came. It was before Christmas, but we cracked open the parcel, and BG was able to experience snow first-hand, because they had a pair of wellies to keep their tootsies warm and dry :D That's a win in my book :o

We've a play date to look forward to today. Our first choice of venue is probably off limits due to pants weather, so I'm going to have to slap my big-girl pants on and endure one of those 'kiddy fun barn' type places...... The company will be ace though :D

Tea will definitely be a cobble of something..... I hope :o:rotfl:

Right, I must go and grab a slice of toast and settle up with DH for yesterday's shopping before he goes orf to work :D I also need to grab some bits and pieces whilst out and about today. So no point in aiming for a nsd. I've no idea how much this kiddie barn charges for admission :o

Ta for dropping in. Appreciated.

Greying X

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

• Smurphington
    Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with a pair of wellies for a birthday present and whilst they are young and are not demanding the latest piece of plastic tat or the latest 'in' thing I would embrace it. I think birthdays and Christmas have transformed into something quite ghastly and I honestly think that too much can be a poverty in itself. I remember when my brother was a teenager and him wanting the latest high end trainers because you can't be seen wearing anything less - did my mum buy them? Did she toffee, she gave him the money she would have spent and told him if he wanted them he would have to supply the rest. I may have gone off topic a little there ha
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    i bought a myself a pair of cheap mid length wellies a few years ago. it meant i could walk through puddles instead of skirting around them!
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st 10lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 45% through my pb challenge.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure