The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Options

Comments

• Elnora32
    Elnora32 Posts: 172 Forumite
    Options
    [FONT=&quot]Hello Greying Pilgrim,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I have been following your diary for a while and have been enjoying the journey. I think you do incredibly well with your food budget and I love to read about your adventures. I will continue to cheer you along from the side lines and pop in now an again.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]With regard to parenting – I think you need to do what you think is right. In my opinion, people shouldn’t comment unless they are asked for advice – they’re not living your life. I think you’re doing a great job, by the way.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Hello to all your supporters too – I love all the witty conversations that take place on your thread – makes it a happy place to hang out. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The sun is shining here – hope it is with you too.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Elnora[/FONT]
  • taka
    taka Posts: 3,483 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think BG having comfy wellies just opens up all sorts of fun opportunities to splosh about in puddles and enjoy (and learn about) the great outdoors. Who says that is not much more fun than a toy? :D

I certainly got various more practical presents (like much needed clothes or sports training kit) at Xmas / birthday time bought by my parents on behalf of family instead of 1001 toys. My birthday is going back to school time so my birthday presents always involved back to school stuff / stationery! :rotfl:

That reminds me that I need some ankle wellies so I might treat myself for my birthday! :p
    Hope you survived the "kiddie fun barn" - my idea of hell!! :eek:
    Mortgage free as of 12/08/20!
    MFiT-5 no 45
    You can't fly with one foot on the ground!
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,896 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I had some very good advice from a health visitor once about people who give advice on how to bring up a child. She said that you should listen very politely to what they have to say & then completely ignore them & do what you felt was right. I actually got my own back (ever so poiltely) on two people who thought they knew best. They said I should lie my son down more instead of him sitting up when I was feeding him. So I said to each one on different occasions "show me what you mean because this seems most comfortable for us". My very obliging son did oblige (he was only about 2 months old, so no coaching involved). As soon as they sat him up to burp him he threw up over them.

It gave my confidence as a mother a terrific boost as I was a "geriatric first time mother" & they had had 3 kids each. I'm ignoring the multiple not so good decisions I've made since obviously!
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Afternoon :hello:

Thank you for all your lovely replies - I have enjoyed reading them. I have to say, I am certainly 'trying' to parent BG how we wish to. But people do seem to think that they can make comments, to complete strangers don't they?? I'm sure it's ever been thus - I don't suppose for one moment it is a new phenomena - just 'new' for me. I thought the unsolicited comments would stop after pregnancy/after the 'pram' stage....... ;):rotfl: And the thing is, I don't think BG feels that they are 'missing out' - I could be wrong of course, but they seem happy with what they 'have' and they certainly have a strong sense of imagination for play - people comment on it! :rotfl:

taka wrote: »
    I think BG having comfy wellies just opens up all sorts of fun opportunities to splosh about in puddles and enjoy (and learn about) the great outdoors. Who says that is not much more fun than a toy? :D

I actually totally concur with this sentiment - it's just a 'different' type of play isn't it? The wellies are as much 'enablers' as building blocks or a dolls house complete with furnishings...... ;)

taka wrote: »
    Hope you survived the "kiddie fun barn" - my idea of hell!! :eek:

My idea of h*ll too taka, but I have to say, I paid over the admission money (don't ask :o) and just concentrated on BG. BG had a wonderful time with their chum - they had fun and frolics and laughed their heads off, and I was treated to a coffee - which was so unexpected, and do you know, it was a really nice cup of coffee too :D We were there a couple of hours, both BG and I got alot out of being with chums, and so I'd have to say it was a win. But I wouldn't rush to go back there - I would go back there, but it wouldn't be my first choice. Ever. ;)The good company made all the difference, and we were for the most part able to disregard anything else that was occuring. We were even able to skirt around marginally more energetic play by some slightly older and physically bigger children - which is to be expected, but it didn't impinge on our little ones play excessively, so space sharing worked well.

Right, I better go. Pasta for tea. we're all out of anything else, and I'm out of energy and ideas for today :o

Ta for dropping in.

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £3,005/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (May) -  £1/£15  (Camping TTD - £75/90)

Grocery spend May £187.95/215
    Non-food household spend May £24.01/30
    Bulk Fund May 0/£15

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    badmemory wrote: »
    ..... As soon as they sat him up to burp him he threw up over them.

It gave my confidence as a mother a terrific boost as I was a "geriatric first time mother" & they had had 3 kids each. I'm ignoring the multiple not so good decisions I've made since obviously!

I laughed my socks off at this badmemory - thanks for sharing! I ignore all my poor decisions too :D:(:D

Greying X

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

• Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,792 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Ha, I laughed at that too :rotfl: :rotfl:

I think most parents do a fabulous job, and people should stop being so judgy. People just can't help themselves though. I don't even have kids (and people have given me advice about *that* too) and people are forever espousing on what I could do differently :rotfl:

So yes, listen politely, then do what you like, and if you can arrange for someone to be sick on them, well, all the better :D
  • Frey85
    Options
    Long time lurker on your thread Greying.
    Just popping in to say I hope all is ok at greying towers, missing your updates.
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Morning :hello:

Well, we've been round and about to see how far it was. Turns out it was just far enough :D We've been bunking, bucket & spading on a budget, and I managed to bring some pennies home (just a few :o).

We have seen some wonderful engineering feats, made memories and copious sandcastles, chilled with the birds and the bees in an oasis of colour and calm, and kept in with some wonderful company - hooking up with one of my mse heroes :smileyhea We also took our August FB donation along, and popped a couple of bagfuls into the box to support a mse'r who is a stalwart of their local FB. We hope it helps :)

Phew! Back to 'normal' with a bump :o

Most of the clothes have been washed and 80% of the unpacking done.

DH has gone off with the car, so we're marooned at home today :( Not part of the plan, and words were exchanged. But there you go :( Better get the rest of the toot unpacked and put away.

The rest of the month's meals have to come from the storecupboard and freezer, as any remaining pennies that I do have will buy bread/milk and that is all. although the way DH is winding through the contents of my purse to meet ruddy car-parking fees, there won't be alot of that bought, either! :(

Right, onwards and upwards, I still have 2 arms, 2 legs and technically, I'm *still* on holiday :cool: I'm going on a 'fun' hunt :D

Ta for popping by.

Greying X

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

• Frey85
    Options
    Ooooo happy holidays :j:j:j.
    Sounds like you've had a wonderful time :D
    Hope your fun hunt is productive :p
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,653 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Glad that you had happy holidays :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure