The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Options

Comments

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    :wave: to beanie

badmemory - I think there are all sorts of people seeking care. Yes, those that shout loudest, those that feel 'entitled' to care - now, and those that are willing to 'wait their turn'. It is a dilemma though, and whilst most of the time you think it probably is the less serious diagnosis, or it will clear up, or it is 'just because they are a child', it's that 'not knowing' that makes you doubt. On the whole I do find dr goo-gull a help, but even with my own 'peri' symptoms, I look them up, get relieved that, 'Yup, that's one of the symptoms of peri too.......' but then read the small print at the bottom of the article that says, 'but of course, it is also a sign of incurable, terminal X, Y or Z dis-ease..................................' :(

Well, we popped around to the community hub and dropped off our FB donation. I had wanted to meet my budget of £10, but exceeded it as I spotted something on the 'most wanted' list that was on offer for a good price, so I ended up going over budget by £1.02 You don't get alot for £10 do you :o But it'll contribute to the overall 'stores' so you do what you can do (whatever your particular, personal charitable cause happens to be :D)

h3r0n had some f10ra marg on special - 2 x 500g for £1.50. A reasonably long date on too, erm 23rd Sept?? off the top of my head - 21st or 23rd I think. I had also meant to mention (with the school hols in full swing/about to start) that h0m3 bargins have packs of 10 x 25g bags of wA1k3rs crisps for £1.49. Plain, Cheese & onion, multipack selections and 'meat' selection if I recall correctly. May be of use to someone if you've picnics planned, or just a house full of crisp monsters :D i love crisps :o 15p for a 25g bag of crisps is quite cheap tho. But for my own benefit - IF eaten in moderation!!!! :rotfl:

Right, BG is snoozing, so I best make hay.

Ta for popping in. Appreciated.

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £3,005/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (May) -  £1/£15  (Camping TTD - £75/90)

Grocery spend May £187.95/215
    Non-food household spend May £24.01/30
    Bulk Fund May 0/£15

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Evening :hello:

Well tea has been scoffed. In a word YUM :D I ended up doing curry - even though the tofu doesn't need cooking. But I sort of went with a S E Asia vibe. Didn't follow a recipe as such, but lemongrass, ginger, garlic, onion, lime leaves, coriander, lime zest , lime juice and coconut milk was in the mix - along with some onion :D and a dollop of R1ck St31n's Sri lankan curry powder. Served with boiled basmati rice.

cheap and cheerful and definitely something you'd never find down no self-respecting curry house! :o

I bought a tin (250ml?? 300ml??) of no-alcohol 8udw31ser to try - they were 25p in HB. Normally, I either drink, or don't drink - I've never really bothered with non-alcoholic or low-alcohol substitutes. But I was just curious, and I have to say, it was ok. DH said it reminded him of apple juice, but I thought it was representative of a 'lager type' beverage. I thought that it was really quite good with the curry - and although we only had a small glass each anyway, we'll have no 'thick head' in the morning. I'd certainly buy that product again (white tin, prohibition brew), if I wanted to feel like I was having a beer, with a particular food.

Today i am grateful for these 3 things;

making someone laugh

kindness

new experiences

Thanks for popping in. Appreciated.

Greying X

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

• Smurphington
    Smurphington Posts: 140 Forumite
    Options
    I'm pondering about giving up our 'cardboard box' fish. We've only started eating it out of habit, and you don't have to read many papers to hear how much of a mess our oceans are in....... It might appear a hollow gesture, which isn't my intention, but we did do without fish for long enough.
    Greying X

I have been watching Hugh's War on plastic and found it so terrifying that I decided to try and get ours down a bit and my God it seems nigh on impossible when you are on a budget. I do get my milk delivered but fruit and veg boxes are just so out of my price range. It's all quite disheartening
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,634 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    I have been watching Hugh's War on plastic and found it so terrifying that I decided to try and get ours down a bit and my God it seems nigh on impossible when you are on a budget. I do get my milk delivered but fruit and veg boxes are just so out of my price range. It's all quite disheartening

I cant even afford to get my milk delivered:o:(
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Smurphington
    Smurphington Posts: 140 Forumite
    Options
    It is a lot more pricey but I have worked it into my budget. However as I shop on discount shops only, everything is in plastic and frozen berries are so much cheaper than fresh! I suppose you just have to do your best with what you have
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,178 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I found that getting milk delivered has saved me money as well as plastic as I just don't got out to shop...

Due to my work schedule I need deliveries that will leave stuff when I'm out. Veg boxes work IF I'm here on a Thursday. Otherwise the milkman does most of what I need - milk, juice, yogurt (I'm not home enough to keep a culture going at the moment for home made yogurt, although as I have a month with no planned travel I might start some off when i get back at the weekend), fruit and veg.

I get enough fresh stuff to survive the days I'm home combined with using up storecupboard and freezer items (freezer is getting very low, but there is still some meat, fish, cheese and spinach, I still have plenty of pulses and tinned tomatoes!).

I've also noticed that the milk tends to last better than the stuff from the village shop or what I drag back from my odd supermarket foray. And there is no impulse buying. While it's not the cheapest option, for me it's cost effective (particularly as the nearest supermarket is 10 miles away!). Anything else I need I try to buy online or get when I'm already planning to go somewhere with shops.
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Morning :hello:

Interesting chat surrounding milk deliveries. Round abouts here, there are several delivery options, including producer/delivered. But only some of the milk (increasingly small proportion of it) is actually available in glass bottles - I'm not sure the producers offer a glass (delivery) option. So whilst it's helpful in avoiding the '£20 bottle of milk shop', it doesn't help cut plastic production/consumption/disposal. A 'bottle your own milk at source' is available - about 10 miles away I think. But that's 10 miles away in a direction that isn't (as such) on the way 'anywhere' ie on the edge of a major city or large industrial estate with massive employment. You'd perhaps have to make a 'special' journey to go there, which kinda defeats the object, even in an EV.

Smurphington - your point about plastic consumption and budget shopping is a very valid one. For example, why are bagged carrots in a discounter, cheaper than 'loose' carrots - which could be popped straight in your bag, or at least into a paper bag - from a greengrocer? My 'bargain' tofu last night yielded 3 empty plastic trays, covered in plastic film..... i'm not proud to own up to that fact :o

I'm reconciling the fact - as I age - that as long as I 'try my best' and 'do what I can do' for the majority of the time, then that has to be 'good enough' for my footprint. It'll make my footprint a little smaller than someone else that dunna give a fig, at least :o

I bought BG a story book from a chazzer yesterday. it had 5 stories in it, and cost £1. It was clearly second-hand, not in pristine condition, but do you know what, BG fell upon it instantly, and has been devouring the pictures and words ever since :D We do what we can.

Tea is a mystery tonight. It will possibly be a 'buddah bowl' in the truest sense of the meaning! Bitsa this and bitsa that - and none of that, coz we ain't gort none! :D

Breakfast has been munched, so we best go and get dressed and greet the day.

Ta for popping by.

Greying X

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

• UncannyScot
    UncannyScot Posts: 2,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Have a lovely day missus :)
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Have a lovely day missus :)

Backatcha lovely :D

Greying X

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

• Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Blimey, explosion of posts here in the last 24 hours!

Yes, you must not delay in taking children to see a medical professional - any temperature or whingy moments saw me rummaging round inside T-shirts looking for rashes or blotchy bits. Better safe than smug.

Our Dr surgery is going to introduce a new system from Sept after a major consultation - it sounds really good.

Phone (or go in and be seen within 2 hours) and you will be given a slot for a call-back by a Dr (of your choice) or Nurse Practitioner. They will triage to see if you need to come in - that day.

The only exceptions for pre-booked is when the Dr wants to recall you to discuss progress when there will be a slot in the first or last hour of the day that only they can book within the next fortnight, or for patients when they need to be accompanied or visited, or you need a routine check with a nurse or healthcare assistant (think bloods, asthma etc).

Sounds brilliant - I really hope it improves things and stops the local moaners. The new partners really are doing their best to move into the 21st century. With text or automated phone reminders there were only 14 missed appointments too last month and a late night for workers will further improve the service.

We plan to move to glass bottle delivery milk in September when we get back from our forthcoming long (for us) trip - and I have taken to reusing the plastic containers that fresh fruit is in, for my fruit and veg that I grow or sell at the gate, and the plastic bags of wonky fruit with a push together top stand up quite well so I reuse these in my freezer (first using them to line a box then filling, freezing and removing the shell, or for my prepared apples or plums to see us through winter desserts. I may not be able to eradicate it but I try to make use of the reusable bits. It is the films and skins that trouble me, and those polystyrene trays they use for meat in the SM.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport