The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Options

Comments

• EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Loving the Wimbledon reference there Greying! :D
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Today has been .......carp.

The only good things to happen were....... I got listened too - not sure if action/resolve will follow, but I got listened to. I got 2 goodnight kisses off BG, which is two more than I deserve because I have been a crap mum today.all.day. My DH worked all day, ran an errand, helped with a clean-up situation not of our own making and still wanted to put BG to bed and read a good-night story, and then got out the tool box to replace a broken fixture :smileyhea

Sometimes I'm so humbled, so very humbled, by the goodness of those around me.

I did at least stick to the plan with tea. We had greek salad. The UK tomatoes were good - fairly well ripe, had taste and I've 3 left. I dug a (small) pot of red pepper hummus out of the freezer and made greek pita - which are flatbreads, but levened. I normally don't bother with levening flatbreads, but it was warm, and I just got the notion to try it. I was pleased with the result - they stayed much more maleable than my unlevened attempts do. Perfect for mopping up the dressing on the salad - which also featured some of the cos lettuce. I was also amazed that BG tucked into them with great gusto too!

Today i am grateful for my family. Without them I'd have sunk. Sometime ago.

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £3,005/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (May) -  £1/£15  (Camping TTD - £75/90)

Grocery spend May £187.95/215
    Non-food household spend May £24.01/30
    Bulk Fund May 0/£15

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,634 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Sorry that today has not been good :(
    Remember to take care of you xx
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    edited 5 July 2019 at 8:58PM
    Options
    Good Evening :hello:

Today = mucho better. Wish I could claim that fellow human-beings had had a volte-face and suddenly become angelic in their behaviour, and sipped at the kool-aide dispenser, imbibing some community spirit. But alas, alack, they just didn't do today, wot they dun yesterday......

Onwards and upwards.

BG and I made the most of the sunshiney-O and went out for a peramble. See wot we could see an' all...... we dun see lots of fings :D:j

We picked up a few bits of shopping, including 5 lemon Organick S0ler0's from h3r0n for 79p....refreshing and sooooooo barginacious :j would probably have helped to have taken the coolbag along with the shopping bags, but hey-ho, we got them home still cold and still frozen. No pools in MY backpack y'all! :rotfl:

We snagged a load of good books from the chazzers. Only one needed a minor repair - it didn't affect the readability, but would have affected the longevity of enjoyment if we'd have not got out t'sellotape :D £3.50 spent, 7 books garnered :j

We bumped into an old friend from my allotmenting days :D Always wonderful to see them. I tell you - I want to look THAT GOOD when I am 90!!!! Huzzah for good clean living, interests and not letting health problems define you. Open-heart surgery - biff! Cataracts - bosh! Credit to the medics, support staff and family, but dang, my chum is acing their life :j

A newish-chum is helping us out by guiding us through the choppy waters of 'waiting lists'. I always used to scoff at the thought of putting a child's name down for anEt0n1an place when they were 2 minutes out of t'woom, but I am quickly finding that this is now the norm for any club, activity or group you may want your little cherub to participate in................ at any point.

:eek::rotfl:

Tea this evening was black olive pizza and HM wedges. Scoffed. In a word.

Today i am grateful for;

Friendship and guidance

people not being ****'s for 24 hrs

a saunter, story and smiley filled day with BG - priceless :D

Ta for popping in

Greying X

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Morning :hello:

Things have been a bit disorganised of late. BG has been down with the lurgy for the umpteenth time. Whilst I am soooooooooo very grateful for our NHS system, it did gaul that I could only choose for BG to see a GP as an 'emergency' (which their condition was not), or wait 2 weeks for an appointment. As an adult, I would take the risk and wait 2 weeks, but can we really be expected to wait that long with a child? Our surgery were great and the receptionist understood the dilemma perfectly and said to bring BG in. The Dr was equally as supportive and I was relieved that actually, there was only 1 other person waiting to see the Dr following us - and they had literally been given the appt to see the 'on-call' Dr as we arrived at the surgery. So in effect, at the time of my phone call, we 'leap-frogged' no-one. But I would have been more comfortable with a 'we have an appt tomorrow, or the next day'. I hate 'pushing in'. But still. BG was seen, their condition may get better with time, and the use of precautionary drugs, and we have an appt to review in a month. I feverently hope they are not susceptible to a long-term condition, that may be adding to their (seemingly) perpetual unwellness.

But gosh am I grateful for our NHS - and I'm lucky that the team at our surgery rarely deem me the idiot mother that I feel....... although one Dr did imply...........

We did manage haircuts yesterday, so that's a bonus. We look pretty now...... :rotfl:

Tea has been a mixture of things. Last night I was glad of 'storecupboard' goodies as broken night's have taken their toll and I fell asleep with BG in the afternoon, losing time to prepare anything more complex than baked potato, 2-egg omlette (with the last of the YS'd leicester cheese - YUM!) and baked beans. But dang it were good :D

I'm pondering about giving up our 'cardboard box' fish. We've only started eating it out of habit, and you don't have to read many papers to hear how much of a mess our oceans are in....... It might appear a hollow gesture, which isn't my intention, but we did do without fish for long enough. And yes, I know I'm being hypocritical in continuing to feed BG fish fingers... my reasoning is based solely on the fact that at present it is in a food group that they will actually eat. If they expanded their repertoire - even a little - and decided fish fingers to be 'yukky', well then I could consider giving up buying fish all together. As ever, it's not a yes/no, stop/go, right/left decision - there are all the 'grey' areas to consider.

I've a donation to pop to the FB, gonna try and shoe-horn that in today. Yesterday's trip to a nearby market town yielded some goodies for a future donation to the other FB (different requirements). The BBC news website currently has a couple of very good, but very saddening videos regarding child poverty, running. I still don't know what the solution is - as, as ever, there are any number of different contributing factors to each situation. One size does not fit all.

We want to attend an event locally that is 'free' but ticketed. Getting hold of tickets seems to involve alot of trouble. I'm not sure event organisers think things through when they come up with these ideas. And I bet the contact personnel are now regretting putting out their phone details......... Very odd, not encountered this situation before. I did consider saying, 'OK we won't bother, thanks for your time'. But it's something that other members of the family might enjoy, and makes a day out to look forward to. I'm trying to get over my reluctance to book anything in advance due to BG's ongoing health wobbles........

I've a treat to look forward to with a chum next week :D So actually, life is pretty dang sweet as a nut :cool:

I do, currently, have zero idea what is for us tea though........ :rotfl: I do have some marinated tofu that I got 3forapand from h3r0n, so may have to get my thinking cap on to utilise that :think: The weather isn't helping - salad or stew? salad or stew? :rotfl:

Ta for popping in.

Greying X

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

• UncannyScot
    UncannyScot Posts: 2,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Honestlty wish there was a h3r0n near me when I hear of your bargain finds but they've yet to make a foothold North o the wall, think nearest store to me is in Gateshead... however, a friend has suggested "F00d W4rehou5e", which is supposed to be very similar?

Have a lovely day missus
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,780 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I share your vexation with the 'emergency appointment' system GP. I was invited to make use of it myself recently, and refused - and when I finally got to see the doc my condition had cleared up (but had occurred repeatedly so I went anyway). He told me I should have come in at the time, so next time that's what I did.

I do wish they would call them 'same day appointments'or something. This is an active system of rationing of services - hoping people will themselves decide it's not worth bothering the doc, and on the balance of probability most things will clear up themselves (although not without discomfort and inconvenience to the patient, and some things of course won't clear up at all).

I absolutely think you're right to take BG whenever you feel it necessary. My surgery, if you say you don't know if something is 'emergency' enough, will at least get a doctor to call you to discuss. Will yours do something similar?

Hope it all clears up anyway x
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Honestlty wish there was a h3r0n near me when I hear of your bargain finds but they've yet to make a foothold North o the wall, think nearest store to me is in Gateshead... however, a friend has suggested "F00d W4rehou5e", which is supposed to be very similar?

Have a lovely day missus

:wave: to UCS - h3r0n aren't as good as they once were. Most of the barginacious bargains are usually very short-dated, which of course, sometimes I can make use of, other times, not so much. But I agree with your chum, there are actually quite alot of companies - of varying names, doing the same sort of discounting thing. Thing is knowing where they are located :D i will always go for a 'look' in h3r0n, sometimes I get lucky, other times not. And of course if I 'need' an item to be affordable or on offer, it never is......... ;)

I absolutely think you're right to take BG whenever you feel it necessary. My surgery, if you say you don't know if something is 'emergency' enough, will at least get a doctor to call you to discuss. Will yours do something similar?

Hope it all clears up anyway x

Yes, Cheery - we were going to go down that route, but then the receptionist thought that as BG is wee, the Dr would probably like to examine 'face-to-face' anyway, so she asked us to accept an 'emergency' appt. I agree, I would have waited 2 weeks for me, but BG has had this complaint for some time, and the advice on t'internet is to see your GP if it has been going on for X number of weeks. The receptionist was lovely, and I can't fault her - she wanted to help, as do all the staff pretty much at the surgery. Regrettably though, they get their fair share of abuse and/or no shows etc. But I always try hard to work with them, rather than expect them to drop everything for me. There are always people worse off (healthwise) than members of my family. So I remain appreciative of the help we do receive - just getting hung up over semantics I guess :o I certainly feel that the surgery staff were trying to do right by their patients - and for that I remain grateful.

Greying X

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,634 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Hope that BG is on the mend soon :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

There are always people worse off (healthwise) than members of my family.

Are they actually worse off though or do they just scream louder? Is it just that some of us are far to sensible & know whether they need dealiong with now or will later do. Although later is never the right answer where our children are involved & should in my (not so humble) opinion be dealt with straight away.

My attitude to this has been intensified due to a friend's grandchild's lack of feeling of pain when falling & hurting himself in what would, in any other child, be a screaming do & visit to A & E. Turns out he has had a painful condition since birth (now 5) totally missed despite numerous visits re throat infections. So to me you can never overstate a child's need to see someone. Although I know that most of us try to avoid being one of "those" mothers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure