The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Options

Comments

• EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,416 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Our surgery does a "same day" appointment option BUT you have to call at 8am to get one. At 8am I'm usually driving, OR in the car as a passenger but car sharing, meaning that either I can't call, or that if I can,. I can't then get back again for an appointment in any event. Not helpful, and there is (so far) no workaround to this, so unless something is desperate I usually have to work on the basis that it will probably go away by itself. :(
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 11 July 2019 at 8:43PM
    Options
    Good Evening :hello:

Well, today has been interesting. BG got more, and more, and more tired as the day wore on. And instead of flopping down and having a snooze, they carried on, and on and on. Getting more agitated, more 'no' 'no' 'no' and more norty................................................

And then they fell asleep in their tea plate........................

Thankfully they'd scoffed their mains.............................

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

*sigh*

Um, we got 10 satsumas from the over-priced on some things greengrocer. I had to bite my lip as the 'young enough to be my [STRIKE]son[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]grandson[/STRIKE] great-grandson....... ;)' assistant said that I could decant the satsumas straight into my backpack, but he'd come out and supervise that i didn't take more than i'd paid for.................................................... ho-hum. He got thwarted in his efforts by another mother, who'd obviously had quite enough of his antics, and BG and I volubly counted 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 satsumas into the backpack. Saving, as I had pointed out to the assistant, at least 2 paper bags..................................... I have to report that they taste lush.

Just as *bleeping* well.

M&$ have cherry tommies in their 'cheap & cheerful' offerings this week. 225g of BRITISH cherry toms for 65p. Quantity wise, probs not the cheapest, but they were British, and today, were in my radius of available shops to shop in. So, readers, I done bought a punnet :T I was less enamoured with M&$'s cheap copy of...... mrL? in offering cheap plastic crappy toys if you spend £20 per shop. The lass on the till didn't bother the GENTLEMAN in front of me with recounting this offer - he spent £1.24 (2 x the TV mag we also buy....), but did bother giving the spiel to me for my £2.15 spend.......... a) I wish M&$ would stop trying to cover all bases, including the lowest common-denominator (ie 'free' plastic 'stuff') and b) I wish they would either bother everyone with this crap, or no-one - dear M&$ stop being so blessed sexist!!! I did also buy a British cucumber from M&$ - produce of Kent - the producer being 'Thanet Earth' - am I the only one to think that amusing?

Tea this evening was a buddha bowl. We went with a marinated lentils recipe, that I think is from 'My new roots', written by Sarah Britton (sp?), but I can't find a link to the actual recipe. However, think marinated lentils (green speckled in my case) and you'll be about there - although I didn't put chopped olives in mine (saving for the pizza tomoz). I did brown rice - having intially made some - well out of date buckwheat. The buckwheat's 'out-of-datedness' didn't matter - I had forgotten that this particular brand - for some reason - yielded claggy, porridge-like stodge, rather than the 'fork-through' loveliness that I have previously been used to. Dear reader, it has been composted - as will the remaining 375g of uncooked grain :( I'm all for using up, but the product has to perform 'as per', otherwise what is the point? There was chopped up cos lettuce, marinated cherry toms (vinegar, oil, basil, salt, pepper), and Jajig. Topped off with a sliced boiled egg :j Well nice. And despite my efforts to use stuff up, back-firing, I did only buy the tommies (used all) and the cucumber (used half) to put summat on the table.

On the theme of budget cookery, do you think that the fact that Nadiya has done 'oven-roasted' tinned tatties on telly, (tried out here........ 3, 4 years ago?? - probably diary #2???) do you think that mrL will be minded to stock their tinned tatties again? I hope they do............................ And for the barginacious price they charged......

Today i am grateful for;

patience - even when wore thin..... :o

communications - even when delivered to the wrong address :mad:

youthful propriety - even when ever-so-slightly mis-placed................. ;)

Ta for popping by. Appreciated.

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £3,005/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (May) -  £0/£15  (Camping TTD - £75/90)

Grocery spend May £73.49/215
    Non-food household spend May £16.96/30
    Bulk Fund May 0/£15

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,459 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    You are a better woman than me.
    As I would have had words!

So do M & S do a offer type things on fruit & veg? Ta.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • beanielou
    Options
    Oh & I have ordered Jack Monro's tin cook book from the library!
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »

So do M & S do a offer type things on fruit & veg? Ta.

Yes, beanie - it's a relatively recent thing. They have 4 things on 'special' each week. I don't know if it's just for summer. But off the top of my head (forgive me if I'm wrong), at the mo, it is cherry tommies (225g), doughnut peaches (not sure of weight), 2 avocados or a mango for 65p each. It's like the mrAl S6, but less choice - but ONE price, so swings and roundabouts......... ;)

Oh & I have ordered Jack Monro's tin cook book from the library!

Bravo! Let me know what you think of the recipes. Has your FB received any copies? I'm pretty sure Jack got crowd-funding for a whole raft of free books to be distributed to FB's? Or have local donors got you a copy or two? As I mentioned previously, I'd definitely give the book a look-see if it was in our library, and need to ask our local FB if they could use a copy.

Greying X

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

• beanielou
    Options
    Yes, beanie - it's a relatively recent thing. They have 4 things on 'special' each week. I don't know if it's just for summer. But off the top of my head (forgive me if I'm wrong), at the mo, it is cherry tommies (225g), doughnut peaches (not sure of weight), 2 avocados or a mango for 65p each. It's like the mrAl S6, but less choice - but ONE price, so swings and roundabouts......... ;)

Bravo! Let me know what you think of the recipes. Has your FB received any copies? I'm pretty sure Jack got crowd-funding for a whole raft of free books to be distributed to FB's? Or have local donors got you a copy or two? As I mentioned previously, I'd definitely give the book a look-see if it was in our library, and need to ask our local FB if they could use a copy.

Greying X

Thanks for the M $ S info.

We havent received any of those cook books.
    Hopefully we might.

Last winter we gave some clients a slow cooker & a slow cooker book :) xx

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    * EDIT ALERT*

Have just realised, I missed out the important fact that the 10 satsumas were just £1 in money. Making them a far better deal (because they were lush) than the netted fruit available in the majority of discounters and supermercados - they were good value for money. Despite the 'service'.... ;)

And I'm hopeful (as in *fingers crossed*) that Nadiya's resurrection of the tinned tattie as a useful kitchen staple - from whichever time-saving/budget/taste or storage etc standpoint you choose - will encourage mrL to start stocking their tinned tatties again. For a long time they were the best priced and their product was good. MrA is a good price, but the tatties are mostly huge (meaning few per tin), mrAl, it a penny dearer (i think) than mrA, but the tatties are wee - which is OK for some dishes or for making sure everyone in a large gathering has at least one spud..............;) MrL was my go-to supplier of tinned tatties for my own store-cupboard and for FB donations. I hope they restock :D Jus' sayin'............ ;)

Greying X

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Last winter we gave some clients a slow cooker & a slow cooker book :) xx

Wowsers :j

:T:T:T Bravo!

Greying X

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Morning :hello:

T'ain't yet 9am and already I've been showered with kindnesses - MSE'rs are the best! :D Thank you - you know who you are - for your very kind offer. I'm unable to take you up on it this time, but know that I appreciate your kind offer, very, very much indeed :D:T

Nothing of any real excitement nor import has happened.

I did get a punnet (500g) of cherry tommies from the market greengrocer yesterday. Not as bargainacious as previously (750g fer 99p), but still gramme for gramme cheaper than I can currently get elsewhere. However, there was no country of origin on these tommies - so the current M&$ offer still rates highly if you are looking to buy UK produce (which I like to do when the prices align with my available budget).

I hope rtandon ain't reading, coz I had a random little swap around with us teas, and we had pizza and wedges LAST NIGHT and cardboard box fish, HM wedges and mushy peas on Friday!!! Sorry fer messing wif yer head love :o:rotfl:The pizza was half black olive and half garlic mushroom - YS'd mushies from m&$ for 74p (300g). BG ain't a mushroom fan, but will eat the black olive side....... However, they didn't eat that much last night, as they wore themselves out in the day, refused a napette and promptly fell asleep in their tea plate again - thankfully the tomato and pesto stains wiped off with a damp cloth...... :rotfl:

Tea tonight had better be curried 'something' otherwise I'm in trouble :D

We might pop over to our local NT place today. There is an event on through the summer that I would like to see at some stage. But then I'd like to watch a bit of the cricket too, so...... But it would be nice to take BG out for a leg-stretch and a breath of fresh air.......priorites an' all that :o

I've ordered some OS maps online for an adventure that we've planned. For some reason, the 'sheets' that I need are never stocked in our local 'outdoors' shops, so I've more or less been forced to buy them off the net. Having said that, there was further discount available (they are already on offer in the shops) and the delivery is free, so it kinda makes a mockery of going into the high street store in the first place (same retailer.......). And hopefully they can be posted through the door, as I'm not a fan of the delivery co. that is being used - well, not the local representative of it, anyhoo...... :( But we'll see, fingers crossed and all that :D And yes, dear reader, you are quite right, I could borrow these maps (potentially) from our local library system. But I like to plan and pour over OS maps for yonks, so I'd have probably run out of 'renewals' before the adventure began! :rotfl:Either that, or they wouldn't have the 'really vital' one for loan - only for reference within the library - usually happens to me :D

Right, can't think of owt else :money: to report, so best go and register my meter readings for the electrickery company, and then do summat constructive with the day.

Ta for popping by.

Greying X

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

• beanielou
    Options
    Have a happy Sunday:)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure