We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Options

Comments

• Smurphington
    Options
    Ah Greying sorry to hear about your friend. I have been in a right funk over work and sometimes I have to catch myself and realise that I'm fortunate, I have my health and a lovely little girl and things really could be worse.

I try to keep my Christmas fairly modest, and it's been fairly easy. Although little one is only 4 so maybe that will change in time! Her nursery are doing a lovely think this year whereby the staff have said that if you were planning on giving them a gift ( I usually get them a tin of biccies as they do such a wonderful job) to refrain and instead donate a gift for a resident of a care home - warmed my heart :)
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Evening :hello:

Hope all well.

Sort of catching up to where I need to be. Pulled a virtual 'all-nighter' (haven't been able to claim that in a vaire, vaire long time................. ;)) last night to get a bit of crafting back on track. The recipient was eventually reasonably happy with it....................... (bah blooming hambug.....:xmassmile) I'm definitely flagging now though, and will be away to my bed in a mo.

We went out for a (sort of) organised jaunt today. We attended an event that we'd gone to last year and appreciated/enjoyed immensley. Unfortunately this year the collaborative efforts between organisations hadn't really worked - and it was a shadow of it's former self. So, we slapped a smile on us chops, and skipped off knowing that we'd got what we needed out of it, but we won't bother with it next year. It was (notionally) free, so we're not complaining. Perhaps the bar was set too high last year, or perhaps it was a case of differing personnel having differing ideas........ or no idea..............

BG reached an important milestone today and passed with aplomb :j It's scary how fast time is passing. Scary.

We must be doing something right with BG's upbringing though, as we changed our plans - due to the lacklustre event mentioned ^ - and came home instead of seeking out a cosy nook for a picnic. When informed that we would, instead, be having a 'carpet picnic' lunch, BG could not have been happier - mucho :j ensued! :rotfl:I'm delighted that they already recognise the value of simple things in life. We had a lovely time, all sat together, munching :D

Tea this evening was soup. I couldn't stand the thought of summat stodgy, and had used up my 'cheat tea' card last night, having cardboard box fish, oven chips and mushy peas, in the light of intense crafting activity (mentioned ^) needing every second of my attention so that I was not working into the wee small hours of the morning.......

'oh, but wait................' :p

So the soup was carrot and coriander, and used up 3/4 of the YS'd carrots i got in HB on Friday.

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

People being kind and caring of BG

disappointment not mattering, nor marring the day

Simplicity

Ta for popping in. Appreciated.

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £3,005/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping January - May £90/£90

Grocery spend May £203.56/250
    Non-food household spend June £/40
    Bulk Fund June 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 3/24 (inc. Blankets 3/6)
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Evening :hello:

What a spiffing day I have had :D Despite getting soaked :(

And I've just thought, I didn't actually spend a penny.......... [well, for journalistic accuracy, actually, I did; but for the purposes of keeping this post on the subject of moneysaving :money: I didn't :D]

And the most joy came from events/activities that money just canna buy anyway :D

I'm hooking up with a chum tomoz. They are the chum that didn't have cake, last time we met up for coffee & cake, so I'm hopeful they will indulge tomorrow and I shall endeavour to pick up the tab :D

Our foodbank donation has been handed over. I hope that it is useful for Christmas or for the New Year of 2019. I ensured that everything had as long a date on it as I could find for the product I was buying - and if I say that mrS had 3 differently dated tins of fruit on display on their shelves, you can see why this is important. i always thought the longest dated goods went to the back of the shelf, but wot wood I no???

In the course of my shopping for this year's donation, I found some items that I didn't know about, at good prices, so I will make sure that future FB donations (not just a Christmas box) include some of these items, as they are usually on 'most wanted' lists so if I can get them for good prices, I can give more, can't I?

Tea this evening was lentil bolognese with pasta. The bolognese was made from scratch and used more of the YS'd HB carrots in the 'base' sauce. BG lapped it up, even though they 'no like Ka-rot' ;)

Right, I'm taking a night orf crafting, as I'll get fed up of it, if I overdo exposure to needles, yarn, hooks and patterns ;) But I have got a ton of organising to do, so I best shift-a-tail-feather.

Ta for popping in. Mucho appreciated.

Greying X

Bulk Fund June 0/£10

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,980 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Big thanks as always for thinking of your foodbank.
    You are an :A
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,799 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I always think of you GP when I drop something off at my local foodbank box. It's only a large box-like thing in sainz, and today it was chocka full, after my donation was the bottom layer on Sat. So I'll be nipping in tomorrow on my way out to see if it has been emptied before I put in my next installment.

Good idea to have time off from crafting - don't want to use up all that creativity too quickly!

Enjoy tomorrow's coffee (and cake).
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • beanielou
    Options
    Foodbanks are desperate for food at this time of year for the hampers and also day to day too.
    It is a busy time.
    We are currently emptying collection points two to three times a week.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Morning :hello:

beanielou wrote: »
    Foodbanks are desperate for food at this time of year for the hampers and also day to day too.
    It is a busy time.

It strikes me beanie that both you and your fellow volunteers at your FB strive to do the best for your client group and know what you are all doing, who you are serving and importantly why you are doing it. There are several large organisations that I can think of, off the top of my hat, that haven't a smidgen of the 'raison d'etre' that you and your colleagues employ.

You should be proud of the FB achievements (and we all agree that we wish they weren't needed - but as they are - then the fact that they function fairly and efficiently is a matter to applaud).

apple - I rarely go anywhere now that has the collection boxes, which is a double-edged sword; but at least my blood pressure doesn't go through the roof anymore when I see boxes going un-emptied!

Up with a jolt this morning, as BG's monitor went off beep - they were standing at the end of the bed.........

Advent calendar to open and self to get organised before we go orf on our awfully big adventure :D

Tea this evening is a unknown. I still haven't got back into the swing of meal-planning, which is a failure on my part :( as it does make a difference to budgets etc.

Right, coffee calling. Best get a wiggle on :D

Ta for popping in.

Greying X

Bulk Fund June 0/£10

• apple_muncher
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    It is a busy time.

Thank you beanie. I'll check it on my way out and put things in it on my way back if there's space. My things will get in it - if not today, then soon.
  • apple_muncher
    Options
    Me again! The box had been emptied so I have helped to start to re-fill it.
  • beanielou
    Options
    Me again! The box had been emptied so I have helped to start to re-fill it.

Big thanks :A

I think I have maybe mentioned before that we are an independant so we can maybe do more for our clients than ones who run under a banner.

We were SO busy today.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure