The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Options

Comments

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Evening :hello:

Don't seem to have achieved alot today, but have been busy with itty-bitty bits, iyswim :D So basically, I have kept out of mischief :D

YS purchases today, well, it was a couple of bags of sweet potatoes from M&$. 90p for a kilo. Actually still 1p dearer than HB normal selling price, but 'to hand' rather than 20 minutes walk away in heaving pedestrian 'traffic', so a win in my book :D Felt a bit sorry for the lass on the till in M&$ - they've been instructed to do the 'hard sell' on chris-t-mas biscuits and cakes etc, which are currently 'half price'. It clearly doesn't come naturally to this individual, and I can easily resist cakes and biccies if they stay in the shop - if they make it into my house, ain't no way they are gonna remain unopened until the end of December! I politely declined, but I really do wish M&$ wouldn't indulge in this sort of thing - it's bad enough when the discounters do it.

I also got some QU0rn 'chicken style pieces' from h3r0n for 79p for 200g. I haven't used it in so long - think I got put off by the rising price, and shrinking size of the filets, and then the recipe was changed, and people were reporting that they didn't feel very well after eating it, so i gave it a miss. But I figured I'd try it again for 79p. I used it to make tea - a sort of take on 'hunter's chicken'. Tomato/onion/grlic base sauce with red peppers chopped in, a yellow courgette, paprika, cinnamon, basil, oregano and parsley, salt and pepper and lemon zest and juice. Served with a baked sweet potato and some steamed broccoli. I'll let you know if there are any adverse side effects, but it certainly made a 'good enough' tea and a bit of a change, so plus points thus far :D

Shifted money around, so we can pay the bills for another month. Will have to look at the budget again though, as we've new commitments to meet, and of course, prices are rising. We don't have the luxury of oodles to spare :(

In looking out for 'just the thing' in the *shed of doom* I came across a shelf clip for one of our kitchen cupboards. I had a feeling that we were one short for a shelf - which nothing heavy can be put on, so I brought it back in the house. Located the 'wonky' shelf, and with the aid of brute force, and stubborness, eventually got the clip back into position, and the shelf back down in a level position......... :D

BG used the name of our 'senior citizen' friend when we bumped into them again today (they like to get out for a pootle too), I rather think that BG may have made their day :D And BG got an extra tickle for their efforts :D

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

Warm sunshine after such a cool start to the day

gifted courgettes

that everything is ok, at the moment :D - it's worth recongising the fact :D

Ta for popping by. Appreciated.

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £3,005/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (May) -  £1/£15  (Camping TTD - £75/90)

Grocery spend May £187.95/215
    Non-food household spend May £24.01/30
    Bulk Fund May 0/£15

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,562 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    ...Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

Warm sunshine after such a cool start to the day

gifted courgettes

that everything is ok, at the moment :D - it's worth recongising the fact :D...

LOVING your 3 things today GP!:D
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,633 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Also loving todays three things :T :T :T
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Morning :hello:

Cold start again, but at least the sun is out, warming things up :D

I've got a few bitsa bobs to do today - including making a cake, haven't bothered through the summer ;) We've a letter to pop in the post box too. Must remember to put it in my bag :think:

We've a bit of l/o CHB to pop into BG's saving account. Not much, but it all adds up.

Tea this evening will be pizza and salad and maybe some sweet potato wedges - depends on room in the oven.

Can't think of owt else :money:to mention, so best make a start.

Ta for popping in. Appreciated.

Greying X

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

• beanielou
    Options
    Happy Friday :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,943 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I've never suffered any ill effects from Quorn GP - hope that puts your mind at rest somewhat. Am slowly weaning us off it as it's expensive!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    themadvix wrote: »
    I've never suffered any ill effects from Quorn GP - hope that puts your mind at rest somewhat. Am slowly weaning us off it as it's expensive!

We had never had any problems either themadvix - it's just that I heard they changed the recipe, and it did seem to cause problems for some people. I agree about the price, wholeheartedly. It was only because this was at a reasonable price, that I got some. We've been fine today, so I think I would use it again. I'm not going to make it a regular feature of our diet, but it may be useful to have a bag in the freezer for a 'quick fix' meal, now and again :D

Greying X

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good evening :hello:

Have you had a spiffing day? We have :D

Popped a little amount of dosh into BG's savings account - they so enjoy the 'transaction' of handing over their book etc :D and the bank staff are so kind..... :DBG wanted to walk from the bank, so they did - they walked quite well today, we went a long distance before they started to act up, and made it difficult for me to walk, hold onto them, and push the pushchair, so I was actually very pleased, although BG was less so at the prospect of being put back in their pushchair :( But they were rewarded after a little bit of a wait (last of the shopping), with their favouritist activity in the whole-wide world :D So it all evened out :D

No bargains today :( Just a few bits and pieces that we need.

We have received multiple gifted fresh produce bounty today - for which I remain grateful :D It struck me that we get on better with folks that will....'bend down and pick up' - odd phrase, I know, but think about it. How many people on here would bend down and pick up tuppence - and either off-set it against their mortgage, or collect it in a tin - with other tuppences, over a year, and donate it to charity; how many bend down and 'pick up' after their pets? How many bend down and pick up their family/friends who are on their uppers through no fault of their own? How many people will 'bend down and pick up' potatoes, courgettes, blackberries, sloes, hazelnuts, apples, pears... etc etc, and share them out amongst friends because they have 'enough' or there was a 'glut' or the produce was grown on waste land, or because the farmer grew it, but the produce was the wrong size/shape for the all-dominant supermercado, so the farmer said, 'help yourselves' .................................................................

And I live among people that are too important to 'pick up' after their dogs...............in the hottest summer on record...........

Tea this evening was black olive pizza and wedges (gifted tatties). A crowd pleaser and clean plates all round! (BG still prefers pasta to potatoes tho......)

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

Gifted produce - we'll use it, yes we will! :D

a shared 40 winks with BG - *ahem* :o

for the 'good' in our life - in all shapes, colours, forms and dimensions ;)

Greying X

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

• savetosave
    Options
    Where are you? I am missing your posts
  • beanielou
    Options
    Hope all is well in Grayling Towers.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure