The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Options

Comments

• Verbatim
    Verbatim Posts: 4,830 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Marvellous to see you back GP. It sounds as if you're making great efforts with the house and although it's hard to remember what things looked like before I expect you've made a huge difference.
    Do yo have before and after pics?
    Hope you all get through the winter without too many more coughs and colds. Glad you got away for a jaunt.
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So lovely to hear from you, I hope that things are now on the up health wise and in every way. BG sounds so delightful, you are right, this time will never come again, enjoy the restorative cuddles.
    xx
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • Smurphington
    Options
    Great to hear from you Greying and I get so much from your posts that I am very happy you are back
    Your comment on BG and the well known high street store made me chuckle and if it's the one that sells Percy pig juice then I have the same problem. Although my daughter shouts 'pig juice mummy ' as soon as we enter, which does get some funny looks:)
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    .........if it's the one that sells Percy pig juice then I have the same problem. Although my daughter shouts 'pig juice mummy ' as soon as we enter, which does get some funny looks:)

You got it Smurphington - I think folks think I don't feed BG.......... :rotfl:

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £3,005/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (May) -  £0/£15  (Camping TTD - £75/90)

Grocery spend May £73.49/215
    Non-food household spend May £16.96/30
    Bulk Fund May 0/£15

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Morning :hello:

Feeling very virtuous, as we actually had cabbage for us tea last night :j First time in yonks that we've had cruciferous veg on our plates :o I made a mushroom/rice bake (eggs, greek yoghurt, cooked rice, cooked mushrooms, onion, garlic, red pepper and seasoning), using YS'd mushies (actually not that much cheaper, as they were from m&$). Served up with the steamed cabbage, potato salad (mayo version) and beetroot/apple salad. A right plateful, filling and halo-inducing :rotfl: There was bake left over to pop into the freezer and half a cabbage left for another day.

We finished up with a bought pudding from a very famous pudding shop, which was re-heated in the oven, as it was on. Homemade custard accompanied. I'm glad we've tried this pudding, but I won't waste my money on one again. I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't as tooth-achingly sweet as I had feared it might be, but it didn't taste of much either, so definitely not worth the 'premium' price that they charge for it.

Yesterday was a low-spend day, with only some pennies spend on administrative p/copying and a stamp. We got out for a toddle in the sunshine, which was nice :D

Tea this evening will be pizza of some sort - probably mozzarella, along with wedges or oven chips - depending on whether the weather allows us to get out of the door..... I have oven chips in the freezer, but no tatties.

Can't think of owt else :money: worthy to report, so best shuffle orf.

Ta for popping by. Appreciated.

Greying X

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

• rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    ...A right plateful, filling and halo-inducing :rotfl: ...
    :A:A:A
    The thought of cabbage being halo-inducing is a phrase I'm going to steal from you and use on OH when we have greens with our leftovers tomorrow! Might stop him grumbling about all that rabbit food I make him eat :rotfl:
    ...Tea this evening will be pizza of some sort - probably mozzarella, along with wedges or oven chips...
    It's Friday & all is right with the world!!!:D;):rotfl:
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    rtandon27 wrote: »

It's Friday & all is right with the world!!!:D;):rotfl:

Yes, i shall have a glass of red in my one hand and a slice o'pizza in t'other, so all will indeed be right with the world ;)

We had a supremely early lunch - prior to noon! :o But BG kept on listing all the things they wanted to eat, and opening the fridge and pulling things out, so I thought it was best to get on and prep something! They are now having a snooze, as I put them in the bed whilst I pootled about sorting bed sheets, linen and laundry - and they promptly snuggled under their blankie, cwtched up with teddy and orf they skipped to dreamland!

I've stripped the bed, remade it with fresh linen, done the washing up and made pizza dough. Oh, and spoken to my husband on the phone. Today is a good day! :D:rotfl:

Needless to say, the weather is pants, so we're firmly ensconced indoors. Oven chips it is for tea!

Ta for popping in.

Greying X

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Morning :hello:

I've come all-over with feeling festive this morn. No idea why. Not all the crass consumerist clap-trap. And I can certainly hold off from hearing oor Noddy, screaching 'It's Christmaaaassssssssssss' at me until at least, :think: oh, the 24th Dec, when ONCE will be enough. Thank you ;) But I just suppose I'm sort of beginning to plan things - purchases (for FB donations), craft projects (BG being the unfortunate recipient), and things that we may do together as a family (low-cost or no cost, natch ;)). It's probably more seasonal changes/looking for comfort (clothing, food, hot drinks etc) rather than Christymas per se. I've never been interested in celebrating halloween, so that is a non-entity for me, anyway, although the shops seem fuller and fuller of 'things to help you celebrate' it, year on year. Still, some folks do like to celebrate it, so there you go. And who knows, I'll be here eating my hat in several years time, as BG wants to 'get candy' along with all the other littlies........ *sigh*

The weekend was a wash-out thanks entirely to the weather. We stayed put. Which after housebound illnesses, was a bit frustrating, to say the least. Cobwebs needed to be blown away. But we didn't need to be blown away with them, so best to stay indoors.

Mozarella pizza and oven chips were munched. As were coconutty lentils, colourful spiced cabbage and rice. I've made my first soup of the season - carrot and coriander which used up some YS'd carrots that I'd bought on our overnight away trip, and which were starting to look worse for wear, a couple of stray tatties that were hiding at the bottom of the fridge and some spices and seasonings that were in the cupboard. There was a smidge of soup leftover, which formed the base of the coconutty lentil dish, as I was all out of tomatoes.

Last night we had oven chips (bought another bag - inbetween rain showers), scampi and mushy peas. I was disappointed with the scampi, it wasn't the usual brand stocked by h3r0n f00ds, but was on special offer. All the pieces were stuck together, and somewhat unattractive. Their 'whitby' (?) brand is far better, and actually the same price as the supposedly 'premium' brand that was on offer.

I haven't thought what is for tea tonight, but think that I really ought to get back into meal planning. It will be better for the health of our budget and for our overall health.

Can't think of owt else :money: to report. So best shuffle orf.

Ta for popping in. Appreciated.

Greying X

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Morning :hello:

Time is whizzing, but I'm not overly sure that I've done much that is :money: worthy.

I did get 5 mozarellas from m&$ that were from their 'simply' range, and had been YS'd down to 35p ea. As that is cheaper than the supermercado 'valoo' ranges, I purchased them and they are now residing in the freezer. We have sufficient mozarella to last into 2019!

I've made a start with collecting our FB chrimbobs donation. No wonder FB's request tinned meat all the time - it is sooooooo expensive (and yet, paradoxically, you'd not want to buy it if it were too cheap..........:o). I bought two small tins of ham and two tins of mrL's corned beef, and have precisely 20p change from £5!

I see a local retailer is jumping on the band wagon of rising food prices/a hot summer, and has 25kg sacks of tatties for £11.99 :rotfl: I'd rather do without than pay that much. It'll do none of us any harm to cut down on carbs, and there are plenty of options. A very short-sighted exercise in greed, obvs.

We've been having a hodge podge of meals. We had a sort of Jambalya, on wednesday - when I discovered that DH had picked up the wrong veggie sausages in mrT, on their 3 for 2 offer - and we now had 2 bags (2 BAGS!!) of their 'hotdog' sausages and only one of their lincolnshire veggie sausages. I wanted 3 bags of the Lincolnshire ones...... We ended up having an even more authentic version of jambalaya on Thurday, as I just opened up the freezer and used everything up, including the last hot dogs in bag one....... Only 9 more to munch our way through....... can I say I'm not a fan....... :( We had black olive pizza and wedges (tatties bought in a small bag from HB - an expensive way of buying tatties, but at least it's a manageable quantity to use/store in the kitchen. And we'd not had 'real' tatties in a while.

I bought an aubergine from mrT the other day - 35p ea and I chose a nice plump, glossy one. Again, the cheapest price I have seen in a while for aubergines. It will form the basis of our curry for tea tonight. I did also get a product for BG that was on special offer (you have to be canny and see who's got it on offer at any particular time - it usually is on offer - otherwise you pay through the nose). Yet again, mrT was the lowest unit price on a 3 for 2 offer, so I was happy to shop with them on this occasion. BG also had a most lovely, juicy satsuma as we wandered around the shop - no pips either :D

We're using the apples that we've been gifted. BG laps up the apple puree with natural yoghurt. So great to see them eating 'real' food - which they know is apple, and it's also lowering our food bill, not having to purchase other frozen foods for desserts.

Right, BG is starting to be a fidget monster. Time to go, before they bash somethign and I'll lose the post.

Ta for popping in. Appreciated. Greatly.

Greying X

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Fiddlesticks. I just emptied the last of the rice from the 5kg bag, into the jar and discovered....... we have weevils! Dang. First time ever :(

Greying X

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure