Changing habits, wanting freedom

Options

Comments

• brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Just popping by jvr to say have a wonderful 2017. Sounds like you're really tackling the behaviours that go with debt, it's symbolism and what its currently stopping you doing. It's fantastic that you have started the conversation with your OH, I know when I eventually did (I remember the locations nd time vividly!) that it was like a load lifted and it felt like a shared problem, not just mine, it also stopped me effectively having a huge secret. That was a big relief in what is a pretty good marriage! ;)

Keep on plodding and keep posting. It's a great help. Maybe a new sOA will help your focus too?

Brizzle x
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • MistyMountainTop
    Options
    jvr wrote: »
    Oh and yes misty ... Seemed to but being cynacle sod that I am I'm not convinced he has realised that to make budget work his habits have to change to

I completely relate to this. Hopefully he'll have his lbm before too long, but expect some resistance when he first realises what sticking to a budget actually means in real life. That was my experience anyway! :o
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Happy new year JVR. Wishing you all the best for the year ahead and I can't wait to see the debt diminish, hopefully with the help of your OH.
  • jvr
    jvr Posts: 426 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Just read back my posts and realised my spelling is atrocious! I blame auto correct ...
    Honey... I'm gonna nip to our local Iceland world food it's like there version of aldi and get some 'takeaways' can have a junk night once a week as treat. I love these diaries for all the ideas I get so thank you... Need to nip to happys diary and admit that I don't count the 1st of Jan in my new year resolutions haha
    Brizzle... Happy new year! Yep think will post our version of SOA that we did and get some opinions
    Misty... Yes I think first time he has to turn something down will be a shock let's see how it goes
    Dads taking me and sis and her bf out to lunch today while OH works gonna also nip and buy a hair dryer with Christmas money as ours just died and go to Iceland to get some bit and bobs dreading the early start for work tomorrow. My dad has taken my bike as breaks are bit iffy so depends if he can fix to see if will cycle or bus is tomorrow.
    Debt: £14,000 now £2169
    Emergency Fund: 1000/ £1000
    :j
  • jvr
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks speky happy new year to you too! Cannot wait to see those numbers go down!
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Iceland! Of course! When OH and I were completely without a kitchen because it was being gutted, we had the microwave and a kettle. We lived off Iceland instant meals (it was 2001 or 2) and they were fab! I'd forgotten about them completely, so thanks for reminding me.
    Better is good enough.
  • jvr
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Oooo good yes bought a few different curries to try and then will get some uncle bens rice packs for super easy fakeaways. OH saw them in the freezer and wants one tonight but we will have the left over fish pie and he can get over it! - he despises eating left overs!
    Despite my horror at having to get up at 6.20am I did manage to cycle in whoop! did splash out on ordering a new bright light for my bike which was £22 so felt I had to and I felt much better for it... saving £60 a month on bus fairs has more than paid for the bits and bobs I had to buy for the bike. Hurting from my mini work out yesterday and off to yoga at lunch :)
  • jvr
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Good day yesterday.. cycled to work and back and did yoga on my lunch break so no spends.. OH grabbed some potatoes about to be unusable at work so brought them home. We were meant to have the left over fish pie for dinner but OH kicked up a fuss and to be honest I was tired and couldn't be bothered so let him grab the Iceland pie out of the freezer and told him he had to cook it and make mash to go with it as he was being the pain! Does mean I have those leftovers for lunch today as does OH and will have the fish pie for dinner... prob one portion may go to waste.
    Driving lesson tonight and then need to do my at home work out tonight ... cycled in today so will get bus in tomorrow. Normally get bus in on my driving lesson days but since tomorrow morning is meant to be freezing did it the other way around.
    Keep thinking of things coming up that haven't included in my budget... :( sisters wedding in may and so will have cottage to pay for and then the hen do for me (not expensive) and the stag do for OH (expensive)
  • Cheeseface
    Options
    Sorry I haven't visited for a while.

Weddings are so expensive to be invited to! It will be lovely to see your sister married though.
  • MistyMountainTop
    Options
    Well done on the biking! I wouldn't even attempt it, the roads have been icy here and I have a hard time staying upright on two feet!

Why doesn't your OH like leftovers? Maybe you could freeze them and reheat at a later date, so he doesn't realise they are leftovers...?

I may sound mean but I hate being drawn into the expense of other people's weddings. They can spend whatever they want to on "their special day" but expecting other people to do the same is selfish imo, no matter how close they are to you. I won't go into what my sister's wedding involved, but I refused to spend well over £1500 plus present on her "wedding weekend". She knew we were really struggling to keep a roof over our heads, yet I was the selfish one for not complying with her demands for her dream day. I hope you don't resent your sister's wedding the way I did mine. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure