ATB'S Frugal Foray to Freedom

Options

Comments

• EatingTheElephant
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your boiler, lucky that it saw out the winter. I'm sure you will be back on track in no time.
  • atypicalblonde
    atypicalblonde Posts: 3,057 Forumite
    Options
    Got loads done yesterday, cleaned all the kitchen cupboards out throughly and DH has a load of stuff ready to go to the tip. Listed some stuff on gumtree as free (old plant pots and the like), it was all collected within the hour!

Today's plan is to wash our bedding then get everything ready for school / preschool tomorrow. A walk will be factored in at some point too, as well as slow cooked beef brisket that never materialised yesterday as we used the pork mince to make burgers.

Will email back about the new boiler today to ask for a bit of money off - as Martin would say, the worst they can do is say no....

Have marvellous days all x
    MFW :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,909 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the boiler ATB! That really is typical though, isn't it?

Sounds like you had a productive weekend and here's hoping there's a bit of wiggle room on the price of the new boiler.
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• atypicalblonde
    Options
    £200 knocked off the price of the boiler, and it's being fitted this Friday. Budget looking ok though so mustn't grumble. Ive gone sugar free - 24 hours so far, the headaches are something else!
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    Morning All,

Having a much needed few hours at home, just me and DS. I will be working for the rest of the week so really wanted a pottering around the house kind of day.

Looking back at my to-do list:
    [STRIKE]
    - Open Leeds BS 4 year fixed isa (1.45%, much better than our current rate[/STRIKE]) - PAPERS SENT OFF SO WILL CLASS AS DONE
    [STRIKE]- Top savings pot up to £1750[/STRIKE] DONE
    [STRIKE]- chase up consultancy work [/STRIKE] DONE - WILL BE PAID THIS WEEK
    - Achieve 4 NSDs - :o:o DOG GROOMER YESTERDAY AND TOP UP SHOP TODAY. MAYBE TOMORROW?!
    [STRIKE]- use up pork mince that has been in the freezer for ages[/STRIKE] DONE
    [STRIKE]- choose wallpaper for bedroom [/STRIKE] ON HOLD FOR NOW

Right, I am off to scrub the shower screen and sort some laundry out xx
  • Moominmamma89
    Options
    Hope your headache improves soon - I gave up fizzy drinks a few years ago (only have a glass or two at the weekend now) and the headache was awful for about 3 days no headache tablet helped. Hopefully yours will be gone sooner x
  • FloppyDisk
    FloppyDisk Posts: 864 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well done for negotiating the cost down on the boiler, do you thing your bills might reduce wig a new one?
    Mortgage Apr 18 £417,894 BTL Mar 18 £162,857
    Mortgage now -- £350,085 BTL now --- £162,668
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    Thanks both. the headache has eased a little bit so fingers crossed! I am definitely suffering with cravings though - I could happily eat a whole packet of biscuits right now :o but I won't ;)

Floppydisk - I think it may do - we have a large-ish house, and I am assuming the current older boiler will have to work very very hard to heat the house, so the new one should be much more efficient x
  • crunch_time
    crunch_time Posts: 1,353 Forumite
    Options
    Glad the headache is better.

Gave up coffee last week. The headache was awful!! Lasted 4 days. I had to have 1.5 days off work!! I now have enlarged tonsils and ulcers all over my tongue so it must have triggered something. God knows what the coffee was suppressing!

Apart from my mouth I feel amazing though.

Sugar will be next in the list. How 'hardcore' have you gone?

Crunchy x
    19/8/19 vs now Current Total debt £14,188 Savings £2757
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
    House stuff and improvements £4460 Virgin 2 £2740
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    Morning all

Crunch - all I have had is a few squares of dark chocolate with a cuppa. No biccies, bread, booze have passed my lips. As someone who LOVES biscuits, and LOVES LOVES LOVES nice wine, this is quite an achievement. My waistline feels a lot less bloated, and I have lost 4lb so I am very :j

Savings pot is at a healthy level, and our new boiler is being fitted today, hurrah! The finance arrangements are even better than I thought, I basically have 12 months to pay it off as and when I can, rather than on monthly DD, which works much better for us :money:

TV licence is due for renewal next week, and monthly council tax payment due (£165 :eek:) on Tuesday so I expect a freezer use-up week will be on the cards!

In terms of mortgage balance, we are on track to be at £125k at the end of May, one month ahead of schedule :T

Then it's the big push to £25k in savings by the end of the year.

Have fab days all xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure