PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

David Wilson Homes appalling finish, customer care and management

Options
We sold our 4-bed Persimmon Home to buy a 4-bed David Wilson Home four months ago believing that the finish and quality would be superior.

However we have so far discovered 3x the amount of snags in each room.

The way in which Persimmon Homes dealt with each snag and defect was professional and prompt; however David Wilson Homes try to tire us out going round in circles and push us to drop items from our list.

When discussing one item in particular we were told that if David Wilson Homes dealt with the issue then they would not deal with any more matters after that. That was two months into our 2-year warranty.

On two occasions we were told that if a snag were to be dealt with then we would not be able to report that issue again and would need to sign a disclaimer to that effect.

One of those snags related to the window handles which we were barely able to operate. When the window installers attended they did say to contact David Wilson Homes anytime should the problem arise again and that none of the handles had been correctly fitted.

Following our stage one complaint, and waiting three weeks to meet with David Wilson Homes to discuss, their Contracts Manager did not show up to our appointment yesterday. No one at David Wilson Homes called to advise us that they would not be attending.

When we tried to reach the Customer Service Team Leader we received the following out-of-office message 'I am currently on annual leave and will return on <date>'.

As David Wilson Homes had even failed to manage their stage one complaints process we then followed procedure and emailed in order to escalate to their stage two. We promptly received a call back accusing us of not having confirmed the appointment in time.

This is the email that we received from the Customer Service Team Leader Sep 5 one week ago: 'Thank you for coming back to me. I have booked for the 15th at 11am.'

Since our formal complaint nearly one month ago, remedial work has come to a stop. Customer care no longer respond to emails and Site has stopped visiting us (which is not so bad).

We have now taken to Twitter to tweet photographs of snags so that others can see the very poor workmanship and low standard of finish on our David Wilson Homes plot:

Our username is mydwhometoo

I realise that there are much worse David Wilson Homes out there. A full website will follow with more details of how David Wilson Homes have failed us, but also to act as a place for others to have a voice and vent their frustration whether about David Wilson Homes or other Builder.

In summary, here are some of the issues that we have encountered to date after buying a 4 bed detached from David Wilson Homes:

– Damaged and stained UPVC frames
– Warped kitchen units
– Damaged kitchen units
– Units unfinished
– Scratched windows
– Electrical sockets hanging off walls
– Some electrics not working
– Carpets stained and house not cleaned prior to completion
– Windows and mastic deeply stained
– Ceramic tiles stained
– Most internal doors not closing
– Most window handles difficult operate
– One month for carbon monoxide alarm to arrive
– Missing canopy, finally installed then damaged
– Leaky guttering
– Some radiators not working
– Section of banister not attached
– Insulation missing in at least one WC wall cavity
– Chipboard floor boards not fully t&g'd, and ridges between boards
– Trade damaged planting, discarding litter in garden, urinating against wall
– Trade damaged kitchen ceramic floor tiles and amtico tiles
– Doors unevenly shaved
– Plugs not stopping water in bathroom
– Noisy water pipes throughout house
– Section of turf dead on completion
– Leaking shower
– Leaking water butt
– Radiators not level
– Insect infestation
– Mould in kitchen cupboards
– Creaking floors
– Mismatched ceiling paint

An incident days before completion led to a good will gesture agreed in writing by David Wilson Homes to enhance our front garden with 12 shrubs. Four months on and we finally have an explanation as to why this never happened: '…the property next door was currently unsold, so I asked the landscapers to also enhance the frontage of the plot.'

In fact, the majority of the shrubs went next door to the empty house. Some good will gesture.

It made me feel sick to read online the Exeter Daily's article 24/06/16 by Mary Youlden that our site manager is 'no stranger to the Pride in the Job awards having been recognised for his work in previous years'. Specifically he denied a meeting which took place with us in which we looked at and discussed plans regarding our plot. These plans disappeared only to turn up some weeks later and David Wilson Homes then had to carry out the relevant alterations.

These are just a couple of examples of the utter incompetency and lies we have had to deal with so far.

Comments

• Finst
    Finst Posts: 146 Forumite
    Options
    I've recently moved into a David Wilson Home. The quality of the house was probably about normal for a new build, although the quality of the snagging repairs since has been very poor. I have heard from friends in the trade that DWH pay relatively low rates for subcontractors, meaning they end up with some pretty poor workmen. Thankfully our sales adviser, who has stayed in touch, has been excellent at helping get issues resolved.

Wishing you good luck with a resolution.
  • Chanes
    Chanes Posts: 882 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Crikey! That's a long bloody list! I would be furious too. I love new builds but we have always bought them after they have had five years or so settling time. I knew there was a good reason for that as I read your problems with the heartless builder of your home. I would expect some snags but your list really is unreasonable to have to suffer. Do you have any other form of redress?
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why would David Wilson be better than Persimmon? They all do the bare minimum to get through building regulations and quality of product. Why would you move house for it, was the last one not good enough?

I can see where some things might just be unfixable without causing more damage so the developer are stuck between a rock and a hard place. The stud walls go up over those chipboards so you'll be causing a world of damage by ever trying to move them.

I do not work for a major housebuilder but I deal with my own clients and there is a certain way of dealing with people to get them to do the best by you. And it won't involve making personal insults about the site manager. Try to make sure your own behaviour encourages people or you find yourself on an ever steepening uphill battle. One of those small but important facts of life even if you're not dealing with reasonable people yourself.

If I wanted a really high quality finish on something, however, I wouldn't buy something mass produced by people with no emotional involvement in the final product, built specifically to maximise profit for shareholders.

At least if you're purchasing something already built you can survey it as thoroughly as you want to before you buy. As the poster above has done.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • We had to relocate to another city because our son has to go to a school for children with disabilities which was very far away.

We wish we hadn't left our Persimmon Home behind but thought at least moving to a David Wilson Home with their reputation would have been a good move.

David Wilson Homes is meant to be a premium builder, owned by Barratt Developments.

Persimmon plc owns Charles Church which is their premium side.

So the comparison is that they are supposed to be like Charles Church, whereas Persimmon is like Barratt. There is supposed to be a much higher standard of finish, customer care, and of course cost involved.

It's not so much that we weren't expecting snags but that the way David Wilson Homes deals with them is so completely different than Persimmon Homes.

We'd never insult the site manager. That's ironic. He has been nothing but insulating to us and has practically branded us liars, that we fabricated meetings and plans that we saw, as did Sales.

In the end no one wanted to speak to us about the plans and we ended up being sent an email from Sales that was supposed to go to the Sales Director which stated that they had tried to get rid of us when we were in fact due to have a meeting with the Sales Director for some closure (she did not turn up). This was just a week before completion and the change in attitude once they know they have your money is shocking.

The site manager literally turns to look the other way when we drive past him on the development now even though we have never said one bad word about him or to him.

He won't come to our plot, whereas with Persimmon we were only ever visited by the site manager. Instead he sends his assistant site manager to speak to the residents who then refuses to deal with most of the snagging issues. He questions everything, makes threats and accusations, demands evidence, dates, and names (of Trade if damage) when reporting even the most minor things.

Of course we would have preferred to buy something already built and surveyed but this was one of the last plots available in the area and we needed to purchase a new build in order to use Help to Buy and afford the higher purchase price. It made it more affordable than an existing home.

Only just passing building regulations means that plots are often riddled with issues. If you are then unlucky enough to have poor customer care and an absent site manager, it can make your life a misery and end up consuming too much of your time.

New build consumers need better support and protection as well as a place to vent because it is a huge relief to be able to share these experiences with others. There needs to be a New Homes Ombudsman.
  • Doozergirl
    edited 16 September 2016 at 10:33PM
    Options
    The visible difference between Charles Church and Persimmon on a new build estate I lived on was chrome light switches.

If you are not insulting the site manager then you not being particularly objective about this. It might be understandable but it isn't particularly relevant.

Put everything in writing, be clear and concise, keep to lists and the expected route or timeframes for resolutions - if one is possible for each item.

All the stuff about people's behaviour is not going to fix your house.

I have had clients who have suggested that I have suggested that they are lying and I've never even thought it, let alone done it. We create our own realities and our thoughts do lie to us. Stick to points, stick to writing and then nothing can be misconstrued.

An excel spreadsheet with a concise list of snagging items with who is responsible for sorting each one is handy and items can be crossed off and added to.

That should be your working document. You have to keep this clear, organised and professional. Remove everything about people's behaviour or conduct. It doesn't fix your house and thinking about it over and over again does not make you feel better.
  • Thank you, you're right. We have done all of the above.

We have kept clear and concise notes, a long paper trail, organised lists of snags and defects by room, area, and trade. We have detailed dates reported and dates resolved, or unresolved.

We have supported all claims with photography and video where relevant.

When Site stopped resolving snags, we contacted our solicitor. As our first form of redress they advised that we follow the builder's complaint procedure.

We then wrote a formal complaint giving as much detail as possible about the snags and defects.

This was stage one. The Contacts Manager then was due to discuss our complaint with us at our home Thurs 15 Sep. They never showed up.

We now have to proceed to stage two which means another appointment with someone higher up to still discuss our complaint. In the meantime four weeks have passed and snags and defects are not being dealt with: since we made our complaint in writing it seems that they have put everything on hold.
  • Doozergirl
    Options
    Maybe they're now awaiting the outcome of the next meeting? I guess that's what the complaint was about, that they've stopped doing anything?
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm not sure doozer is actually reading your posts or understanding how dwh have been behaving. I also don't get her/his automatic assumption that you're somehow in the wrong OP!

It's plain as day that David Wilson Homes are providing very poor service and realise they have a customer who is in the position of already having paid them and is stuck, with no leverage.

I'd make sure they know the FACTS are going all over social media, and make sure you've got evidence. Also contact whatever ombudsman applies. But give them a chance to properly sort things out after stating your intentions.

Patience and Goodwill have been dried up here and it's time to take as affirmative action as you can.
  • marksoton
    marksoton Posts: 17,516 Forumite
    Options
    Why are NHBC not being informed?
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    It's also clear to me that the service is extremely bad and I'm just reading the thread in astonishment that they could be so awful and thanking heaven I've not got one of these houses personally.

They probably are too - as I'd be splashing them right across all possible media if they didnt hurry up and get their act together (Facebook, newspapers, you name it....):rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure