Parking fine from UKPC (private company - not local authority!)

Options

Comments

• MRSYOUNG
    Options
    Hi. I have recieved a parking ticket from UKPC for apparently parking in a disabled bay. I have several issues with this. 1) there was snow on the ground and the disabled sign could not be seen 2) there was no sign post anywhere near the space to tell me that it was a disabled space and 3) there was only yellow hatching to the one side of the space which I assumed was for the space next to it. To the other side was a trolley bay which meant that there would have only been access from one side. All of this pointed out to me that this was not a disabled bay and I was OK to park in it (it was night time too and the car park was not well lit). Where do I stand with this? Do I appeal or do I ignore the fine?
  • BFG_2
    BFG_2 Posts: 2,022 Forumite
    Options
    Start your own thread

Read any of the several hundred other posts - all of them 'identical' to yours.......they all say the same thing.....

UKPC, snow, disabled, fair, blah, blah, blah - none of it is relevant.....

IGNORE EVERYTHING.
  • kamer01
    Options
    Hi there,
    I have had a similar encounter with ukpc.
    I received a ticket for £50 for parking outside my flat which is owned by Housing association/council im guessing they are employing UKPC to patrol there areas,anyway...the ticket was for not parking in my designated bay and not displaying a parking permit which the council said (when I enquired) that they wont issue the residents a permit as this only applies to non residents. the thing is a non resident was parked in my space and therefore I received the penalty charge.I have phoned my housing association and asked them to get the ticket cancelled as I was not at fault and their reply was "we have sent them a request to cancel the ticket but it's down to them if they except or reject it".
    My question is.....
    Because they work for the local council/housing association is that classed as local authority, does this mean I will have to pay the fine because they work for the council?

Please help.
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 August 2010 at 12:40PM
    Options
    If you are asked to pay the council then its probably legal and should not be ignored. If you are asked to send money to a PO box then you can ignore. Despite the threats ukpc don't do court and can be safely ignored. Expect 4 or 5 threatening letters then they give up.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • kamer01
    Options
    Yeah, I got a regular UKPC ticket slapped on my windscreen with a brown envelope in it addressed to a PO BOX address.
    When I spoke with the housing association they said that they work closely with UKPC and that they would send a request on my behalf for a cancellation.
    So I guess I should ignore them as its not directly from the council.
  • peter_the_piper
    Options
    Be aware that the chances of the appeal succeeding are about as much as you winning the lottery without buying a ticket.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • kamer01
    Options
    Even if the appeal does'nt succeed,do I carry on ignoring them and the letters or have I addmited fault by appealing and have to pay the fine?
  • zipman23
    zipman23 Posts: 291 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    I got a £60 parking charge for parking in one of the several empty blue badge bays in a multi story car park. I parked there as they are the only bays wide enough to allow me to get my buggy and child out of the car without damaging other parked cars. There aren't any parent and child bays and I was told by the lady who hires wheelchairs to said blue badge shoppers that I should find two empty bays next to each other if I wanted to open my doors wide! Needle in a haystack springs to mind here as finding 1 empty bay is hard enough never mind 2 next to each other!

Should I ignore any letters I receive as well?
    English by birth. GEORDIE by the grace of God.
  • peter_the_piper
    Options
    Yes, yes and yes. (that's to the following letters as well.) Assuming this is a private car park. If council DO NOT IGNORE.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    zipman23 wrote: »
    I got a £60 parking charge for parking in one of the several empty blue badge bays in a multi story car park. I parked there as they are the only bays wide enough to allow me to get my buggy and child out of the car without damaging other parked cars. There aren't any parent and child bays and I was told by the lady who hires wheelchairs to said blue badge shoppers that I should find two empty bays next to each other if I wanted to open my doors wide! Needle in a haystack springs to mind here as finding 1 empty bay is hard enough never mind 2 next to each other!

Should I ignore any letters I receive as well?

Rather than wake-up an old thread full of ignorance and discrimination, why not go and post a thread in the parking forum where you will get accurate and up to date advice.

And do tell us who issued the ticket and if it was a council or private car park.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure