MSE News: MSE Big Energy Switch Event 5: British Gas £300/yr saving for new &...

Options

Comments

• zexpe
    Options
    This is a tough decision for me: apparently the BSE5 is £40/year more expensive for me than my Feb 2017 BSE4 fix, but it is fixed now until Oct 2017... the question is, will something better come along before my Feb 2017 fix expires? If so, then I'm better sticking, if not, I'd be better switching now while I can (and with the £30 cashback it's only £10/year more - estimated). It's also good to have a longer deal with BG as I now have a smart meter from them...
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Tough decision for me ... its more expensive than the fixed tariff that i have just moved to which is fixed until July 17 ... actually no its not ... I will stay where I just switched to.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • kitchenperson
    Options
    Where can I find the actual unit costs of gas and electricity under this deal? When I click on the link on the BG 1 year fix to see how much I'd save, it tells me:

"The tariff you’ve selected isn’t available to you based on the filters you’ve chosen. Check that you don't have the 'No Standing Charge' tick box selected, or try changing the Fuel Type and Payment Type options you've selected."

I have no idea why it won't work.
  • Paul_Rowell
    Options
    I'm on the British Gas December 2016 Fix. I contacted British Gas and they told me if I switch to the October 2017 fix before 21 October they WILL charge the early exit fee. This obviously means I can't do it. Or have I got an ill informed advisor?
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Where can I find the actual unit costs of gas and electricity under this deal? When I click on the link on the BG 1 year fix to see how much I'd save, it tells me:

"The tariff you’ve selected isn’t available to you based on the filters you’ve chosen. Check that you don't have the 'No Standing Charge' tick box selected, or try changing the Fuel Type and Payment Type options you've selected."

I am in the Midlands and to give an indication my prices on this tariff are:

Electricity 9.020p/kWh

Gas 2.541p/kWh

Daily standing charge 21.809p for electricity, same for gas

£15pa dual fuel discount.

and of course £30 from MSE
  • Oldsoldier6
    Options
    Emma reported a saving of £1400 odd. Assuming this to be say a generous 20% then the total energy bill would be £1400 x 5 =£7000. This is an enormous sum for a domestic property.
    Are the reported figures correct?
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Doesn't really make any sense does it. If you have filtered the results it shouldn't show you the tariff.

Best to contact the CEC - CONTACTS link at bottom of any page.
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm on the British Gas December 2016 Fix. I contacted British Gas and they told me if I switch to the October 2017 fix before 21 October they WILL charge the early exit fee. This obviously means I can't do it. Or have I got an ill informed advisor?

You can't switch to the MSE BG collective tariff by contacting BG.
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 16 September 2016 at 8:51PM
    Options
    Emma reported a saving of £1400 odd. Assuming this to be say a generous 20% then the total energy bill would be £1400 x 5 =£7000. This is an enormous sum for a domestic property.
    Are the reported figures correct?

You could also question Stephens Claims of saving £800/yr by just transferring from one BG tariff to another.

but then the article also warns:
    Even if you switched to a cheap fix before, remember once it ends your price could jump by up to 50% as you're moved onto a standard tariff.
    So presumably they were both languishing on standard tariffs, Emma with a different supplier too.

So on that basis, Emma could be paying just £2800 on her new tariff, which whilst a high usage (almost 3x the average), is not out of the question.

Edit: I'm not sure if anyone does actually check out these claims, or just reposts claims what they read here or on twitter. No one would lie, (or even make a mistake) would they? :cool:

Sometimes, you are left wondering if they should occassionally heed their own advice

IMPORTANT!
    This is an open forum - anyone can post.

Please exercise caution ...
  • Paul_Rowell
    Options
    footyguy wrote: »
    You can't switch to the MSE BG collective tariff by contacting BG.
    I am aware of that. As a previous post also pointed out the information about the exit fees was ambiguous so I wasn't prepared to sign up without clarification. British Gas Advisers were reported to be informed of what the arrangements are. Clearly not. I've contacted them again and they have now decided that the exit fees will not be charged.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure