MSE News: MSE Big Energy Switch Event 5: British Gas £300/yr saving for new &...

Options

Comments

• ossie
    ossie Posts: 354 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My scenario so far from my BG switch has not been good! I submitted my readings which were confirmed by an email from BG. Once my account became live online today one of the electricity reading was incorrect and BG have also managed to switch the low tariff and normal tariff. Luckily I am on the ball and BG have promised to sort it hopefully.
  • Pulpdiction
    Options
    I have had similar poor service so fart from BG in switching, gave meter readings over the phone but as soon as I said I had an economy 7 meter with 2 readings it all became a bit hard - surely BG have dealt with 2 meter readings before. Now told they need to call me back on 2nd November to get meter readings and I will get one rate of 8.xxp per unit - not idea what they CS team are talking about. It's no wonder BG gets poor customer service scores. I've been with EON and EDF in the last 3 years not a single issue with either. What is going on?
  • SpanishBlue
    Options
    • Supplier British Gas (British Gas Trading Limited)
    • Tariff name Collective Fix Oct 2017
    • Tariff type Fixed[1]
    • Payment method Monthly Direct Debit
    • Day unit rate 12.70p per kWh
    • Night unit rate 4.32p per kWh
    • Standing charge 21.81p per day
    BG have told me this morning that this is a computer error and their records show the correct tariff. Because there are so many mistakes with the online accounts there is a backlog and I have joined the queue as my account will have to be manually amended. This apparently could take some time. It is just not good enough that the tariff shows as something completely different to what I switched to and is what is on my contract. I was obviously very annoyed, insisting on getting something in writing today, and have now received an email from the person I spoke to confirming the correct tariff. The website is clearly not fit for purpose.

After many problems I thought I finally had switched over successfully yesterday, then read the above and thought I better double check. Despite previously showing the correct single rate tariff, mine now also shows the more expensive day & night rate tariffs. I phones BG (yet again) and was told although it shows I am on the 2 rate day/night tariff, I will be billed at the correct single rate tariff. We shall see......
  • This switch is not working for me, BG haven't been able to help much. The website doesn't work, my account doesn't work, and they keep sending emails asking for my readings, which I keep giving them on twitter. My first experience with British Gas, and I am reminded why I have been avoiding them all these years.
  • Pulpdiction
    Options
    BG now abandoned this forum as well by the looks of it - no posts for 2 days.
  • Danceswithhorses
    Options
    I check my account every day to see if the 'beta' website has been fixed, but still no progress.
    BG have been next to useless in communicating with customers eg apologizing, and telling them when this is going to be fixed.
    This fiasco will certainly put me off BG in the future, no matter how cheap a deal they offer me.
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Options
    All worked fine for me switched quickly and smoothly. Im happy.
  • Crinkmeister
    Options
    SG27 wrote: »
    All worked fine for me switched quickly and smoothly. Im happy.

You must be one of the few.:mad:
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,604 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Had no correspondence from BG apart from a welcome email and request to set up my online account, which I did. Accounts (Gas & Electric) were due to start today. Checked online yesterday and gave readings, but system still says readings are due.
    Telephoned them today and confirmed they do have the readings submitted yesterday and that my account is active. I was told it can take a few weeks for it all to get sorted online. I was told to ignore any emails I may get requesting opening readings.
    Thought as one of the big 6, BG would be able to handle things smoothly, but it seems not.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Raine_E_Day
    Raine_E_Day Posts: 812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 21 October 2016 at 2:10PM
    Options
    My gas tariff has been amended. There was a 0.04 discrepancy showing online which I mentioned at same time as complaining about wrong electricity tariff. However, the electricity is still incorrectly showing day and night rates as if I was on Economy 7. I am telling myself patience is NOT a virtue, just a necessity with BG. :(

Edited: when I checked my account again just before 2pm, the electricity tariff had also been amended to the correct amount. By 2.10pm, it was back to the incorrect day and night rates.....:doh:
    “Rain drops are not the ones who bring the clouds.”
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport