PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS ways and Poor Health

Options

Comments

• LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think it's very hard to bare your soul to strangers
    I think in some ways it can be easier; I'd never in a million years let Mr LW know some of the stuff I've admitted to on here, nor would I ever let any RL acquaintances in on it. I think the anonymity helps - people here only know my screen name, and if they passed me in the street, they'd never for a second suspect who I am. On a couple of other threads I sometimes post on, there has been mention of meet-ups, but the idea of that scares me to death.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for thinking of me Polly. The graze on my leg is now a haematoma in official hospital language. It started off as what looked like a graze but by Friday it was a large very dark area. It's being hydrated and dressed by the hospital (was done Friday and Saturday and I'm back again tomorrow) so the hard bit will lift and free the trapped blood and stuff from underneath. It's still very sore but I'm still thinking that I've been lucky and I could have done much worse.

I was coping ok on Friday, but answered a message on farcebook from a friend who asked if I'd been to hospital. Soon after I had a message from another friend "hoping that they didn't hurt me when they lifted the scab". I went to pieces because I'd just had enough but luckily I was able to message a friend with significant medical knowledge (remember the visitor who went home with the hump) and he spent half an hour or so telling me that they wouldn't hurt me, he gave me a list of things to do to help myself recover more quickly and was generally very helpful and understanding. He's good at stuff like that and it's one of the reasons that we're such good friends.

Take care of yourselves folks :)
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    Thanks Polly.xxx

I know I will be nervous until I get there, but then I'm usually fine. It's good that the MH appointment is so soon as I have less time to dwell on it beforehand.
    LameWolf wrote: »
    On a couple of other threads I sometimes post on, there has been mention of meet-ups, but the idea of that scares me to death.

That reminded me that I sent an email to a woman who runs my local area asking if there were any fibro meet-ups or support groups near me. I got a reply (finally) and she said that there weren't any groups and wished me well. Gee thanks, very helpful.:rotfl:

Lucky I found you guys really!:A
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    LW Leaving aside anxiety and other issues I reckon the odds of even two of us at the same time being able to actually be able to meet on the same day are pretty low .
    Has Bluebell gone home yet? I'm pretty sure she'll be back again and again . No doubt more guests large and small will be coming your way although you do seem to have cornered the market for staffies . Unique selling point?

Typos are going to be a problem today . The fingers are going their own way !

Cranky I'm glad you got things sorted . In an odd way it has brought that contact back with your good friend and he stepped up with good advice and support .
    As for FB etc I would be careful what you read . Some people just don't understand certain things and may mean to sound light hearted and funny or may just be having a dig . You can read that intention face to face by tone of voice and manner but it's a hard one online .
    I hope you're back to your usual self soon and be careful on the stairs :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    A big gentle hug for the HT who has been looking after mum so lovingly . You've got a good one there .
    xx
    polly
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    LW Leaving aside anxiety and other issues I reckon the odds of even two of us at the same time being able to actually be able to meet on the same day are pretty low .
    Has Bluebell gone home yet? I'm pretty sure she'll be back again and again . No doubt more guests large and small will be coming your way although you do seem to have cornered the market for staffies . Unique selling point?
    I've just had a call from Bluebell's Mum - she'll be over a bit later to pick her up. I have a "meet'n'greet" as I call it with a 15 year old Golden Retriever on Wednesday - this is the initial meeting where dog, owners and carers all get to know each other, and decide for certain if carers and dog will get along - then on Friday I have a Jack Russell and a JR/Chihuahua cross (from the same family) coming for 12 days.

I really don't enjoy the meet'n'greets - but they're necessary, so I have to put on my big girl pants, and just deal with the fallout afterwards.

When I first signed up with the company I'm with now, one of the questions asked was would I take Staffies - apparently some carers don't like them. :( Their loss, I say - I think they're wonderful dogs!

Wednesday your comment about fibro support groups has reminded me - some time ago, I saw a notice in the GP's waiting room advertising a support group for people with social anxiety - my thought was that if I felt for one second that I could attend such a group, I wouldn't actually need to! :rotfl:
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    LameWolf wrote: »
    Ithen on Friday I have a Jack Russell and a JR/Chihuahua cross (from the same family) coming for 12 days.

Wednesday your comment about fibro support groups has reminded me - some time ago, I saw a notice in the GP's waiting room advertising a support group for people with social anxiety - my thought was that if I felt for one second that I could attend such a group, I wouldn't actually need to! :rotfl:

Lol, that is funny.:rotfl:I wonder if anyone turned up to the group in the end.:D

That is the same as my dogs! I have a Jack Russell and a JR/Chihuahua cross. He looks more like a chihuahua, but he is the size of a JR terrier.
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    Wednesday We discussed fibro groups earlier in the thread with mixed opinions . The one I tried made me want to run for the hills . It was like a competition for who was worse than everyone else . Not helpful , supportive or even a couple of hours chat that wasn't pain centered . I suppose the reason I wrote hints and tips in the OP is because we have to learn a different way whatever brings us to the thread . I would prefer to help someone stop scalding themselves trying to drain a heavy pan of potatoes than sit as I did in that group listening to people scoring their pain levels 1-10 . That's one you do to a medic not the rest of the world .
    Of course each of us have bad and difficult days . As I posted recently we have a mini rant or a bit of a mutter , we are heard and understood and it gets it out of our heads and we begin to balance ourselves once more .
    There are some good online groups but I recommend you stick with the UK . A lot of American groups can be pretty extreme and often very wrong . In the UK we are under the NHS and need to read within the guidelines here . Medication and treatment is unique to us so unless it's private treatment your information needs to be from the right sources .
    Are you specifically focused on a Fibro group or more of a social setting for a bit of chat and a break from everyday stuff ? A number of us here are crafters and there may be a small group near you .
    If you knit or sew there are OS threads with nice people chatting about their projects and helping others when they're stuck . There is a Christmas thread and whether you do Christmas or not there is a lot of inspiration over there .
    polly

• pollyanna_26
    Options
    You do make me laugh LW The irony of some signs and suggestions amuses my daughter and I no end .
    Lavender vibes and calming thoughts will be heading your way on Wednesday from my neck of the woods . You get the loveliest of dogs . A golden retriever just wonderful . Have you ever had an Airedale or Irish Wolfhound ? i have a very soft spot for both .
    polly

• CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Even I can do Christmas crafts. We made ninja turtle baubles one year. Green baubles with a stripe of coloured ribbon stuck on and knotted at the back and googly eyes stuck on the front. Simple but surprisingly effective :rotfl:
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    Support groups, pah.....complete waste of time. Who wants to sit and listen to a load of moaning Minnie's who just want to point score "ooh my life is worse than yours, I'm in more pain than you"

Get a life, get off your arris and take control.

When my husband got sick and I became his carer they tried to get me to join a carers support group. I tried a couple out of politeness, what a total waste of time.

I ageee with Polly probably better to look at more general interest groups or those relating to your own particular interests and hobbies.

I have just joined a group called Jolly Dollies, not a support group but a friendship group for widows. We don't sit around discussing our husbands illness and deaths, we arrange social outings etc. In fact I'm meeting one of them later today to go to the cinema. Yes I am happy enough to go to the cinema alone but it's nicer to have company.

I had 12 years of caring for sick people, dealing with 3 deaths and practically killed myself in the process. I have destroyed my health. I don't need namby Pamby support groups I need knowledge, practical solutions and advice so I can get well. I'm getting there slowly but surely but it's largely by my own efforts.

I learnt long ago that the NHS is fine for the acute stuff that can be a relatively "quick fix" but it's the long term chronic conditions that are the poor relations of health care. They do what they can but ultimately I think we do have to do all we can to help ourselves.

That's why I like this thread so much. Polly it's genius. So much practical advice and tip sharing. That's what we need not the oh so sincere head tilt soothing voice and hand wringing but do nothing you get from social workers and support groups.

So there.....:D

As for support groups for those suffering from social anxiety......Duh. Never heard of anything so daft in all my life.

Wednesday there is a website called Healthiculture.com which you might find helpful. They send out a daily newsletter, lots of tips and knowledge about fibro, arthritis and similar. I have picked up some good tips and am learning a lot.

A glorious day here. So nice to see and feel the warmth Of the sun.

I have ordered the pain gone pen I mentioned. I'll let you know what I think. i do have a tens machine and an electric back massage cushion that goes over a chair. They are ok (ish) but a bit of a faff with all the wires, pads, cables etc. The pen is battery operated and small enough to slip into a handbag, so ideal for using whilst travelling or out and about....well that's what the blurb says. :rotfl:

I am off on holiday next week so I thought it was worth getting it now and taking it with me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure